Red @ Pirates Playoffs Game Thread

Clutch is a BS stat

from fangraphs

Clutch does a good job of describing the past, but it does very little towards predicting the future. Simply because one player was clutch at one point does not mean they will continue to perform well in high-leverage situations (and vice versa). Very few players have the ability to be consistently clutch over the course of their careers, and choking in one season does not beget the same in the future.

It doesnt take a bs stat. I watched almost every single game this season and in the second half of the season he at times looked lost defensively, made mental errors on the base paths and in the field, struck out in clutch situations, and it was at its worst the last couple weeks of the season and playoffs when it mattered most.

I like Votto and really hope he bounces back. In fact he MUST bounce back. But if he plays like he does this year, unless a bunch of underpaid guys on rookie contracts way outperform, we will be in trouble.

Not his fault, im not trying to blame it on him even though it seems like it. I just think it is so hard for a team with a 100M salary to pay one guy 25M unless he is just a dominant player, and this year he wasnt.

that still leaves them at least one bat short.  

The reality is, they need to trade a pitcher for a bat.

if they can bring choo back he goes to left and Hamilton goes to CF. I think Hamilton can provide this team a solid bat. He's not gonna be a power guy, but if Hamilton plays in MLB how he played (i know it was a very limited time this year) in september then he can be the leadoff and choo can hit in the 2 hole. Hamilton-Choo-Votto-Phillips-Bruce-Frazier-Cozart-Meso isn't bad. Really they need to upgrade or get a major growth from the Frazier/Cozart combination.

People mention Hamliton's batting average in AAA, but the guy started off horrible for like 2 months. Increased his average every month after and was pretty hot in the second half. He clearly brought that up to the majors too. Tampa is an amazing franchise and they constantly bring up young guys and rely on them and it pays off.

It will be hard for them to trade pitching if they let Bronson go. Chapman needs to be a starter or be traded though. They don't need to waste that kind of money on a closer. That is a luxury item we cannot afford. Lecure can more than handle the closer role.

if they can bring choo back he goes to left and Hamilton goes to CF. I think Hamilton can provide this team a solid bat. He's not gonna be a power guy, but if Hamilton plays in MLB how he played (i know it was a very limited time this year) in september then he can be the leadoff and choo can hit in the 2 hole. Hamilton-Choo-Votto-Phillips-Bruce-Frazier-Cozart-Meso isn't bad. Really they need to upgrade or get a major growth from the Frazier/Cozart combination.

People mention Hamliton's batting average in AAA, but the guy started off horrible for like 2 months. Increased his average every month after and was pretty hot in the second half. He clearly brought that up to the majors too. Tampa is an amazing franchise and they constantly bring up young guys and rely on them and it pays off.

It will be hard for them to trade pitching if they let Bronson go. Chapman needs to be a starter or be traded though. They don't need to waste that kind of money on a closer. That is a luxury item we cannot afford. Lecure can more than handle the closer role.

I love the idea of Choo and Hamilton batting 1 and 2.  I think it would be awesome.  I don't really think Lecure can handle the closer role.  He was starting to get hit pretty good last year.  I think Hoover or maybe even Masset could handle it.  They have five starting pitchers.  They ought to see if Miami would be willing to give up on Giancarlo.  Sounds like they mentioned it this year during the season.  He will command big money in 2017, but the Reds will be running out of contract with Brandon in 2017 and may be able to work it.

I love the idea of Choo and Hamilton batting 1 and 2.  I think it would be awesome.  I don't really think Lecure can handle the closer role.  He was starting to get hit pretty good last year.  I think Hoover or maybe even Masset could handle it.  They have five starting pitchers.  They ought to see if Miami would be willing to give up on Giancarlo.  Sounds like they mentioned it this year during the season.  He will command big money in 2017, but the Reds will be running out of contract with Brandon in 2017 and may be able to work it.

Masset for one is a FA. 2, he hasnt pitched in like 3 years. No way he is closing for us next year. Hoover was alright in spans and awful in others. Not sure there is a guy on the roster that could close for us. Still don't want chapman closing though.

And I don't really want Hamilton starting the year at leadoff, although if choo is 2 it won't hurt as much. If we go like Hamilton Phillips 1-2 our offense will struggle.

Archived