My First Way too Early Mock Draft

Jason

Compare him to recent picks and he doesn't have the explosion.

yeah, I think he does actually....and I agree that right now you won't see him mocked much in the first 3 rds by the so-called "experts" but I'm extremely confident that once the entire process plays itself out, Carlos Hyde is going to be in the conversation to be the first back off the board next May. 

why do you care? 

we'll see next May if that's really the case though....as I said earlier, I'm pretty confident it's not. 

I don't think he cares. I think he's simply pointing out a basic truth, one that, if you were to go back over these pages, you would see for yourself.  Drafting, is, or at least should be, an utterly dispassionate process.

As I said, I actually like Hyde, and would take a swing at him in the middle-late rounds. Still, from a RB depth perspective, I'd be far more interested in having another back that can replace what Gio does in case he goes down.  Or spend 2-3 of our first 5 picks on O-Line, so that whoever IS running the ball actually has somewhere to go.

yeah I can't see the Bengals drafting a RB next year period, and in no way, shape, or form am I advocating Hyde coming here.

I'm simply saying that the people thinking that Hyde is going to somehow be available in the middle rounds are way off base....and once the process plays itself out, people are going to be looking at the kid a in a much different light

yeah I can't see the Bengals drafting a RB next year period, and in no way, shape, or form am I advocating Hyde coming here.

I'm simply saying that the people thinking that Hyde is going to somehow be available in the middle rounds are way off base....and once the process plays itself out, people are going to be looking at the kid a in a much different light

Really?

I can, and am.

I think he could be had in 2 or 3, but 1 would be a stretch.

Really?

I can, and am.

I could see 2 RB's next year, though I don't see one before round 3, and maybe even before round 4.  I think BJGE will be moved on so that his $3 Million can go towards extending other guys.

Really?

I can, and am.

I guess I could see them drafting one in the mid-late rds but I definitely don't think they'll be drafting one anywhere near where Hyde is going to end up. 

are you crazy? 

good chance Hyde is the first back off the board when it's all said and done....even if he isn't, he's a 2nd rounder at worst.

IMO, best back in the country.

based on what? You are the only person who has Hyde rated as the best back in the country.

NFL teams don't regard OSU backs very highly as only 1 has been drafted in the first round in the past 14 years and that, Beanie Wells, is no longer in the league. 

In the past 4 drafts only 1 RB from OSU has been drafted and that was Boom Herron at in the sixth round. Right now Hyde is 48th in the nation in rushing yards, what exactly makes you think he will be the first RB off the board in the draft. He's a slow plodding back who has injury and off the field issue, he would be lucky to be drafted in the fifth round. 

I doubt a back will be drafted in the first round this year as you can see what happened last year with draft, Gio was the first back taken in the second round. Hyde is a decent back, but I wouldn't say he's  better than Boom Herron. 

I could see 2 RB's next year, though I don't see one before round 3, and maybe even before round 4.  I think BJGE will be moved on so that his $3 Million can go towards extending other guys.

Oregon's RB i think will have a shot at the 1st round.

I'm not an OSU fan at all, but IMO HYDE is the best RB prospect for this springs draft, he's a big dude who can move a pile, it's exactly someone the bengals could use at RB. It's also a big cap room saver. BJGE goes to the curb. Instant cap room savings.

There really isn't too many spots where we can save cap room for next year. RB is defintely 1 of them. Other spot is letting Robert Geathers walk for another DE.

We MUST start saving cap room. AJ and Dalton are going to break the bank. MJ we probably wont be able to afford.

Here's my guess on our draft

1. DE/LT

2. CB/S/LB

3. RB ( hyde i'd love here)

4. O line depth

based on what? You are the only person who has Hyde rated as the best back in the country.

NFL teams don't regard OSU backs very highly as only 1 has been drafted in the first round in the past 14 years and that, Beanie Wells, is no longer in the league. 

In the past 4 drafts only 1 RB from OSU has been drafted and that was Boom Herron at in the sixth round. Right now Hyde is 48th in the nation in rushing yards, what exactly makes you think he will be the first RB off the board in the draft. He's a slow plodding back who has injury and off the field issue, he would be lucky to be drafted in the fifth round. 

I doubt a back will be drafted in the first round this year as you can see what happened last year with draft, Gio was the first back taken in the second round. Hyde is a decent back, but I wouldn't say he's  better than Boom Herron. 

You obviously don't spend any time on Ohio State message boards.

:lol:

And I am a big OSU fan.

and as I've said, I agree that he's not going to be at the top of anyones list right now....I'm talking about next May after the process has played itself out.

he's going to be right there at the top.

and as I've said, I agree that he's not going to be at the top of anyones list right now....I'm talking about next May after the process has played itself out.

He's going to have run a 4.4/40 if he wants to go in the first 3 rounds, not saying he can't do but he doesn't seem to have a lot of speed when I watch him play. The NFL has clearly devalued the RB position in the draft process and a RB with average speed, injury and off the field issues isn't likely to go in the first two rounds. Then when you consider how the NFL grades players who play the same position as Hyde from his school, I don't think he's going as high as you do...but we all have our opinions.

I hope that the BPA is a CB.  Dre has more career penalties and injuries than he does tackles and Adam has not looked very good this year.  Pair that with Leon coming off Achilles tear #2 and Terrence about to turn 100 and CB is looking uber thin.

He will run slow and the process will actually hurt him. I think he will actually be better than what his numbers say.

I hope that the BPA is a CB.  Dre has more career penalties and injuries than he does tackles and Adam has not looked very good this year.  Pair that with Leon coming off Achilles tear #2 and Terrence about to turn 100 and CB is looking uber thin.

Yeah, CB is my preference for round 1.

He will run slow and the process will actually hurt him. I think he will actually be better than what his numbers say.

whatever you say chief. 

now admittedly, I am an Ohio State fan, however, I'm usually not one to over-hype ANY of them coming out...as a fatter of fact, it's usually quite the opposite...IMO though, and I've been doing this an awful long time, Hyde is the best pro-prospect at that position to come out of Columbus since Eddie George, and to be honest with ya, I think he might even grade out a little better than George did coming out when it's all said and done.....now obviously he won't have the overall numbers or the hardware that Eddie did, but I'd still probably grade him out a little higher overall as a pro-prospect....he's not as tall but I think he's a little thicker than Eddie was, he's also faster, he has MUCH quicker feet, and he can run routes and catch the ball out of the backfield like a scat-back even though he's 230+....he really is the complete package and I think that's really gonna come to light a lot more as the process plays out.

as I said, this is simply my opinion and I really have no desire to argue about it anymore....so I'll just leave it at that and we'll see how it all shakes out over the next 6 mos.

he can run routes and catch the ball out of the backfield like a scat-back even though he's 230+....

Well if he can move like a "scat-back" then I would say he could reach the 2nd. From the couple of times I've seen him play though, that isn't a description I'd use. Still, he does seem a pretty ideal for what we should ideally pair with Gio. I just think we have too many other holes to fill at premium positions to think we can take a rb that high (which you have stated). I'm probably alone here, but I am also holding out hope that Burkhead can play that role. He's 220+ can catch, block, and runs with some wiggle (and more importantly) attitude - all things I was quite surprised by as I can honestly say didn't watch him at Nebraska at all.

Well if he can move like a "scat-back" then I would say he could reach the 2nd. From the couple of times I've seen him play though, that isn't a description I'd use. Still, he does seem a pretty ideal for what we should ideally pair with Gio. I just think we have too many other holes to fill at premium positions to think we can take a rb that high (which you have stated). I'm probably alone here, but I am also holding out hope that Burkhead can play that role. He's 220+ can catch, block, and runs with some wiggle (and more importantly) attitude - all things I was quite surprised by as I can honestly say didn't watch him at Nebraska at all.

I still think its a Bernard/Rex tandem next year.  Rex also taking on some of Peerman's special teams role.  

BJGE cut with his money going towards extensions for other guys, and another RB if not 2 to  be brought in to fill the 4th spot and also push Peerman.  

I still think we'll see a push for speed and a guy who can be a returner.  Maybe we'll see that be McCalebb as a do it all kind of role (all as in KR/CB/emergency RB), maybe it will be a new WR or RB brought in. 

I'd love to see Burkhead step into BJGE's role next year, I think he's perfect for it.....I'm really hoping that's how it'll all work out in all honesty. 

I definitely don't wanna see another RB drafted next year before round 4 at the very earliest.

Swanson looks like the sweet spot pick at 2.  I watched him last night versus Alabama, and though they got crushed, he was rock-solid from the bits I saw.  I was hoping he might last until 3, but given that he's looking like the top rated center I don't think he'll last that far.  Our 2 will be at the bottom of the round anyway, so basically a top 3rd (small price to pay for winning the SB).

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang now has Swanson going in the first round in his last two mocks. The secret is out.

Archived