My First Way too Early Mock Draft

Jason

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang now has Swanson going in the first round in his last two mocks. The secret is out.

Hardly a secret. Swanson is the biggest and best OC prospect from a draft class mostly filled with 290lb guys.

More likely, Swanson is higher ranked by sources other than Draftscout. And I wouldn't be suprised if Rang has an eye on last years draft with Travis Fredrick slipping into the very end of the 1st round.

That's too rich for me, and almost certainly too rich for the Bengals.

Rd 3 - OC, Tyler Larsen, Utah St, 6'4"/312

We must in the first three picks end up with (in no particular order)

an OC

a man/press CB with decent height

and one of: OLT to groom behind Whit, OLB with ability to cover, QB to push Andy

after that: whatever we didn't already pick of:  OLT to groom behind Whit, OLB with ability to cover, QB to push Andy

after that, any of the following: S, Power RB, ORT, PK, and assuming we get at least 1 comp pick, another man/press CB. 

We dont need any more wideouts right now, thank you, even though I know Marvin loves to pick at least 1 per draft.

You've made my day, and glad to be wrong

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/27/4206041/bengals-pick-up-kus-tanner-hawkinson.html

I totally missed this while researching the guy following the pick, and so I have been assuming since then that they drafted a really physically weak guy  (when compared to the average NFL lineman, not when compared to the average human)

Makes me feel much much better :-)

Now pass me that steaming plate of crow......

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, I think he does actually....and I agree that right now you won't see him mocked much in the first 3 rds by the so-called "experts" but I'm extremely confident that once the entire process plays itself out, Carlos Hyde is going to be in the conversation to be the first back off the board next May. 

After watching him play a couple of weeks in a row I'd say he's a  pretty day two pick, with his ceiling being top of the 2nd and floor being mid-third.  He's got more elusiveness than I thought, and you can't deny his power.

After watching him play a couple of weeks in a row I'd say he's a  pretty day two pick, with his ceiling being top of the 2nd and floor being mid-third.  He's got more elusiveness than I thought, and you can't deny his power.

Agree. Being on the west coast I don't see many big 10 games, but I was impressed last night.

why a first round WR?

I like the Crowell idea.  

Other than the fact that Jones and Sanu have been very inconsistent?

But personally, if we draft a WR, I want a big WR.  Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin or Brandon Coleman types.

Other than the fact that Jones and Sanu have been very inconsistent?

But personally, if we draft a WR, I want a big WR.  Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin or Brandon Coleman types.

I don't think that means you have to take a first round WR though.  This team has plenty of weapons that will only get better as they stay together.  

I don't think that means you have to take a first round WR though.  This team has plenty of weapons that will only get better as they stay together.  

I think it depends on what happens over the next 3 games and the off season.  If:

1. Dre K and BG play well the next few weeks

2. We are able somehow to retain Collins and MJ

then we have no significant needs, and will be able to go straight BPA in this draft.  If that means a WR at any point, including in 1, then I have no problem with it.

And honestly, even if we lose AC and/or MJ, I don't think either would "necessitate" a first round pick at the position.  As of right now, with CB still somewhat an unknown, I lean in that direction for our first round pick, but that could well change between now and May.

why a first round WR?

I like the Crowell idea.  

I have wanted another WR opposite AJ for years.  I really wanted Dez Bryant instead of Gresham before Green.  I couldent imagine how explosive this offense could be if we had both.  If Marquise Lee is there he will be BPA and with him, Green, Gio, Gresham (for at least 1 more year), Eifert, the options for this offense would be absolutely limitless.  I also love that he is a different type of WR than Green both explosive in their own different ways.  Lee is a future superstar and if you can get a superstar at any position late in the 1st round you take them.  Not to mention his return skills.  I am biased because he is one of my favorite players in all college football.  If he had a QB this year he would be a top 10 pick.  He may still be by the time the draft rolls around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAWJ2FRTRFg

My thoughts on overall draft philosophy:

1. Is there a glaring need that can be met by a player with value at the draft spot?

Yes?  Take him     No? Move on to #2

2. Is there a player who is clearly better that the other guys available?

Yes?  See 3   No? Move on to #4

3. Is this player at a position you already have strength/depth at?

Yes?  Attempt to trade, if a trade can not be made take him or pass depending on position (e.g. Carolina would likely not draft a QB in 1)  No? Take him

4. Is there a player available who is better than a current starter?

Yes?  Take him      No?   Move on to #5

5. Is there a player available who would improve your depth at any position?

Yes?   Take him    No?  Take the best player on your draft board regardless of need.

I try and fit needs as well but at the same time I would go to bat for BPA every time in the early rounds.  Even if you dont think you need them its better to take the best player because with injuries in this game you will need them regardless.  If youre drafting really good players in the 1st couple of rounds like we have recently your team will always be competitive.

Archived