Dusty fired

Bengals1181

I hope they get a manager that keeps after the players, but really think they need a veteran bat as well, preferably right handed. someone to show some leadership in the clubhouse.

That's one of the things that seemed to be missing from Dusty's clubhouse...a sense of accountability, or even a sense of urgency as the season wound down. This isn't to mention his questionable lineups where an ineffective batter remained in the #2 spot (and I agree with 1181, it really should have been Votto) forever and a day, or the way he managed pitchers which was also sometimes questionable. To me what it comes down to is being a presence in the clubhouse, one that refuses to be ignored, one that in't afraid to make what may be unpopular changes and one that at the end, makes his players accountable for their mistakes. This whole "player's manager, everyone should be loose, nobody should look over their shoulder at another guy maybe taking their job" philosophy is bunk, It's professional sports. Manage it as such, EVERYONE'S job is in question if you don't perform, at all times!

That's one of the things that seemed to be missing from Dusty's clubhouse...a sense of accountability, or even a sense of urgency as the season wound down. This isn't to mention his questionable lineups where an ineffective batter remained in the #2 spot (and I agree with 1181, it really should have been Votto) forever and a day, or the way he managed pitchers which was also sometimes questionable. To me what it comes down to is being a presence in the clubhouse, one that refuses to be ignored, one that in't afraid to make what may be unpopular changes and one that at the end, makes his players accountable for their mistakes. This whole "player's manager, everyone should be loose, nobody should look over their shoulder at another guy maybe taking their job" philosophy is bunk, It's professional sports. Manage it as such, EVERYONE'S job is in question if you don't perform, at all times!

x2 The players didn't even seem that excited over the last weekend of the season,and I think it's because they took on the personality of their manager.

The only thing he was hard on was his toothpicks.

x2 The players didn't even seem that excited over the last weekend of the season,and I think it's because they took on the personality of their manager.

And sadly, the Reds probably still have a stockpile of them for the dugout. I'm in favor of them putting out chafing dishes with vienna sausages in the dugout spiked with toothpicks in the first game with the mantra being "no more weenies!".

or something...

I'd like to see the Reds hire someone with winning experience and some competitive fire in their guts. The "Player's Coach," shit got old real fast. Dusty seems like a nice enough guy, but his style of coaching will never get a team over that hump. Also, the Reds really, really need to sign Choo and some more offensive-minded players. I like what I see about Price. La Russa and Girardi are not coming here.

I'd like to see the Reds hire someone with winning experience and some competitive fire in their guts. The "Player's Coach," shit got old real fast. Dusty seems like a nice enough guy, but his style of coaching will never get a team over that hump. Also, the Reds really, really need to sign Choo and some more offensive-minded players. I like what I see about Price. La Russa and Girardi are not coming here.

+1. Yes and hell yes.

Should have been fired after the debacle in the playoffs last year. I dont think I've ever seen a manager get outmanaged as bad as he was last in that series. Utter inability to properly manage a pitching staff (and get schooled as fuck in it by the opposing manager) and cost your team a chance at the World Series should have been the final straw on him.

I like Dusty as a person, like I like Marvin as person. But neither one of them get the most out of the talent they have.

Dusty is what he is- a guy who can sit around and watch a team get to the playoffs, like any other manager. But he cannot win the game of chess that it takes to advance in the playoffs.

Sticking to Dusty, he was so "by the book" on some things it drove me nuts. During the one game playoff, for instance, why in the hell was Cueto back out there in the 4th inning? Why, when you know your team currently has no heart/offense, do you not put your most dominate pitcher in the game with base runners on and a few runs already in? You saving him for tomorrow? There was no fucking tomorrow. Why was Hamilton never put in the game? Why was Mesoraco not playing (batting) in place of Hanigan when the Reds were down runs?

I'm still trying to decide how I feel about this

Votto walked in the clubhouse, saw a postseason hat sitting at his locker, said "hey, we made the playoffs" and tossed it into a corner.

(that was when they clinched btw).  Can't decide if its because he didn't care, or because he had bigger things in mind.

Here’s a recap from today’s news of Dusty Baker out as Reds manager:

Dusty Baker was fired because of collapse

Baker1-300x196.jpgReds general manager Walt Jocketty said manager Dusty Baker was fired because of the collapse at the end — the Reds lost their final six games.

“If you were around like you have been for the last fews years, you kind of saw that it didn’t look like players were responding,” Jocketty said. “We felt a new direction, a new voice might be necessary.”

It was not to let Baker go after three 90-win season in his last four years.

“It was a tough decision,” Jocketty sad. “The one thing I want to be clear — to you and everyone else — we appreciate and respect what Dusty did the six years he was here. But we just felt that the way things went toward end — that it was evident we needed to make a change and try improve on the performance for next year.”

Jocketty and owner Bob Castellini met with Baker yesterday. Baker wanted to return.

“Yeah, I think he did,” Jocketty said.

Reds players react to Dusty Baker removal

BakerNew11-300x201.jpgSeveral Reds players said they knew someone was going to take a fall for the disappointing season the team had in 2013, so the fact that Dusty Baker wasn’t completely shocking, even if they were surprised to hear the news.

“I thought someone was going to get fired, but I didn’t know who,” said Bronson Arroyo, who will be a free agent after the end of the World Series. “I’m surprised it was him. I had a conversation with him two days ago and if it was coming, he didn’t know it. He was talking about his plans for next season and he was worried about his coaches.”

Reliever Sam LeCure hadn’t heard the news before a reporter’s phone call, but he wasn’t surprised one bit at the news.

“Unfortunately, it’s not like Mr. (Bob) Castellini can fire all of the players,” LeCure said.” I think it’s more like him trying to send a message that the culture of the clubhouse had to change. I love Dusty, I have an opinion like all the people on Twitter, I don’t agree with everything he does. Everyone has an opinion on how they’d manage a game or fill out the lineup card. But I do know Dusty was doing the best job he did. I think it was a time for a change with some of the personalities.”

Dusty Baker talks: Shocked, disappointed

Dusty Baker said his son, Darren, was more upset than he was — even though the elder Baker is upset.

“I got the news yesterday,” Baker said. “I was a little shocked, I wasn’t really shocked because I hadn’t heard from anyone in a couple of days.”

Baker said last week Reds general manager Walt Jocketty had discussed the possibility of letting go hitting coach Brook Jacoby at the end of the season. That didn’t sit right with Baker, and he said so.

“We talked about Brook about a week ago, and they were talking about replacing him and I didn’t think that was right,” Baker said. “All the coaches get blamed for everything. Maybe it was time to go. I did say something like that — and they did it. It wasn’t a mutual thing. There’s probably some other things in there, some things that were said or didn’t get said, stuff that was done over the years and then they said we didn’t have much motivation and spunk over the last week — but our pitching was bad and we didn’t hit.”

Castellini denies Baker, Jacoby report

bilde1-300x199.jpgBob Castellini denied a report that Baker was fired after Jocketty told him hitting coach Brook Jacoby was going to be fired. Baker reportedly said: “If you’re going to fire someone, fire me.”

“That’s somebody’s imagination,” Castellini said. “If he had that discussion with somebody, it wasn’t me. That’s No. 1. No. 2, that would never enter into a decision whether you would fire Dusty or not.

“That has never come up. We have never discussed Brook as far as next year or the year after. Those discussions come.”

As for the new manager?

“We were looking for the best guy for this particular team,” Castellini said. “Do we have anyone exactly in mind? No. We’re going to search ad listen to a lot of people. We’re on it right away.”

3 top candidates to succeed Dusty Baker

Bryan Price: Price, 51, has been the Reds’ pitching coach since October of 2009. Reds pitchers speak highly of Price and his communication skills.

Jim Riggleman: Riggleman, 60, has been a minor-league manager in the Reds system each of the last two seasons.

David Bell: Bell, 41, was the Cubs’ third base coach last season, but was let go by Chicago along with manager Dale Sveum and the rest of his staff.

Tony La Russa: ‘I’m not managing again’

One name that has come up plenty in the wake of Dusty Baker’s dismissal as Reds manager is Tony La Russa. La Russa, the former Cardinals manager, is the only manager Walt Jocketty has hired in his 19 years as a general manager, but he told the Enquirer that he’s not managing again.

“It’s a two-headed sword,” La Russa said Friday afternoon when asked if he had any interest in the Reds opening, “I’m not going manage again and the last time I saw Walt, he told me, ‘I’ve had more than enough of you.’”

Doc: Baker was good but not for Reds

Baker lost points with ownership when he allowed Brandon Phillips to interrupt his daily pre-game media briefing, to berate an Enquirer reporter. He lost points by not saying to Joey Votto, “Hey, man, this is a team game. Runs help us win, not getting on base.’’

He lost points by not always being a team player himself. Baker is nothing if not stubborn. Suggestions made by those in charge were rarely heeded, be it lineup issues or the role of Aroldis Chapman.

Mostly, Baker is out because his personality stopped working with the players he managed. That happens a lot in baseball. It’s a reason even good managers get fired, usually more than once. Baker is a good manager.

Fay: Reds manager job is a good one for someone up to challenge

With Dusty Baker out as manager, the Reds job would appear to be a very desirable one. After all, the team won 90 games this year, and the team made the postseason three of the last four years.

But whoever takes the job faces major challenges and possibly a weaker roster.

Center fielder Shin-Soo Choo and starter Bronson Arroyo are free agents. Neither Choo nor Arroyo had much of a feel about whether they’d return in the aftermath of the season-ending loss Tuesday.

Erardi: No way Bob Castellini concedes 2014

How are the Reds going to maintain the status quo (90 wins, which basically gets one into the playoffs), let alone get better?

Answer: It is going to be very difficult, given the expected departures of free agents center field Shin-Soo Choo and starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo.

In fact, as the team is presently constituted, one would have to say it is impossible. But that’s where Reds owner Bob Castellini (won’t accept less) and Reds general manager Walt Jocketty (has shown a proven ability to make the Reds better in the offseason) come in.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis reacts to Baker

Lewis and Baker share a lot of common traits, the biggest among them being that they’ve led teams to the postseason three of the last fours and haven’t advanced beyond that.

“You don’t want to see it happen. He’s worked his butt off,” Lewis said. “They’re still trying to get over the hump and get into the championship series. No one is going to take a loss harder than the manager or a coach. He’s put in the blood, sweat and tears to get them to that point. No one is going to feel it like he feels it.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2013/10/04/dusty-baker-day-in-review/

I also just saw that they may deal Brandon for prospects.  That might enrage me.  They need to go all in this year.  If you trade Brandon, trade him for something that can help next year.

Votto walked in the clubhouse, saw a postseason hat sitting at his locker, said "hey, we made the playoffs" and tossed it into a corner.

(that was when they clinched btw).  Can't decide if its because he didn't care, or because he had bigger things in mind.

Same here, it would be different if he had come out on fire after that...

I also just saw that they may deal Brandon for prospects.  That might enrage me.  They need to go all in this year.  If you trade Brandon, trade him for something that can help next year.

I'd hate it for 2014 but I can see the reasoning behind it. 2012 was supposed to be "the year," then they re-upped and really went all-in this year. That didn't work either and now the farm system is totally depleted. 

Big shock!!! Mr depression wasn't excited. Dude is on so many pills and is such an outcast in that clubhouse. He makes people uncomfortable so most of the team doesn't associate with him. He needs to take the entire offseason to himself some help or else they wasted the money on his extension.

They still need to get rid of Jacoby..

I'd like the Price move, though.

Jacoby is gone. They are letting the new manager pick the staff.

I don't know why Riggleman is even on the Candidates list.

I sure hope they don't hire him. 

He's a big part of the nationals turning it around. A lot of the players in Washington have mentioned him as being a great manager and helping change the mindset in that clubhouse prior to their new manager coming in.

I know I would be in the minority, but honestly I'd put Votto in the 2-hole behind Choo.  That, or put Hamilton 1 and Choo 2.  

Votto needs a guy like Choo in front of him who is consistently going to get on base.  Joey's run numbers are down in large part because people aren't getting on in front of him, and he's also getting pitched around a fair bit (and yes he also had his fair share of chances he failed on - I'm not convinced he's 100%).  

I don't think you are in the minority at all. I know a ton of people who want Votto in the 2 hole. He's a glorified 2 hole hitter that this city has turned into a "superstar"

Choo

Votto

Phillips

Bruce

Ludwick

Frazier

Cozart

Mesoraco

Is a much stronger lineup because the top 2 of that can lead to a lot of rallies with both of them getting on for the meat of the order. Votto has proven with his play and now with his mouth that he is just an OBP guy and doesn't care about knocking runs in. We are stuck with him and his massive contract so might as well take advantage of that OBP and put him in the 2 hole. It makes him and others more valuable. 

He's a big part of the nationals turning it around. A lot of the players in Washington have mentioned him as being a great manager and helping change the mindset in that clubhouse prior to their new manager coming in.

The dude quit on them mid-season. And he has a career winning percentage of .445 (662-824).

No thanks. 

Yankees broadcaster: Bob Castellini has talked to Paul O’Neill about Reds job

Breaking news: sources say Yankees announcer Paul O'Neill has spoken with Reds owner Bob Castellini about the Reds' vacant managerial job.

I'd love this. He wouldn't take anyone's bullshit (votto and philips) and would be a hot head that would get the best out of all 25 of them.

Archived