DirecTV Access Question

Need some tech savvy advice...

I have DirecTV at my house and I do a lot of camping and would like to be able to get DirecTV if possible. If I get an extra dish off of Craigslist and take one of my receivers with me can I get a signal? 

What type dish do I look for? 3 LNB Ka/Ku, etc...

Does anyone have one they want to get rid of so I can test this out?

Thx!

they make a travel dish for campers and things of that nature.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/travelers/rvs?topnavtype=2

they look a lot smaller and easier to deal with than porting a normal dish around...

these things make me wonder why they dont use ThESE for homes, and mount them on the roof, seems like it would eliminate lots of signal problems people have..

if those are too pricey, places sell tripod systems for the dishes. but i dont know they theyll let you add a new second dish off and on to the account, you may be forced to tag along a current receiver and things.... the mobile ones are obviously the way to go.. but those can be awfully expensive...

sidenote: im not sure you can call it camping if you are bringing satilite TV with you...

Thx Go...I seen these in catalogs but they are pricey....I am somewhat cheap at times.

BTW....anytime I am by a fire watching my sports with my dog and a cooler....its camping. 

you could get a fireplace at home......

j/k

the older i get the more i have the urge to get away more often...

Each LNB picks up a specific satellite, so the placement becomes rather important if you want to hit all the satellites and get all the channels.  Maybe DirecTV has since consolidated?  I don't know.  I do know that you'd only get certain channels with fewer LNBs.  I'm starting to see why the dome is so useful (and expensive).

Need some tech savvy advice...

I have DirecTV at my house and I do a lot of camping and would like to be able to get DirecTV if possible. If I get an extra dish off of Craigslist and take one of my receivers with me can I get a signal? 

What type dish do I look for? 3 LNB Ka/Ku, etc...

Does anyone have one they want to get rid of so I can test this out?

Thx!

I'm sorry, but if you have electricity you're not really camping.

:lol:

I'm sorry, but if you have electricity you're not really camping.

Call it what you want...as I am getting older I like the idea of being able to take a shit on my own shitter, wash my balls in my own shower and sleeping on a soft mattress. I am past the need to demonstrate the size of my nut sack by sleeping under a tree using a rock for a pillow. However, I still like to get away, fish, relax with a cooler of cold ones and watch some FUCKING satellite tv...lol esp on a Sunday :) hell pull up a "camping chair" with me a we'll watch together...I'm buying!

:lol:

Archived