Off Season Thread 2013-14

BigDawgBengal

Apparently the Yankees are on the list of teams he can veto a trade with.

To waive his clause, he reportedly asked the Reds to re-open his contract and give him more money...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/the-yankees-turned-down-a-brett-gardner-for-brandon-phillips-deal/

Supposedly the Reds reached out earlier in the off-season about trading Kemp for Phillips.  That would have been nice in my book.  Guess the Dodgers weren't really having it, though.

Kemp us owed like 160M or something. Highly doubt they could afford both Kemp and Votto unless the LAD sent a ton of money our way as part of the deal.

Not to mention, would you really wanna pay 20M a year to a guy that hasnt had a full season of health in like 3 years?

Money aside though, Votto-Kemp-Bruce would be a sick middle of the order if kemp was healthy.

Ryan Freel had CTE, parents say

Ryan Freel, a former Major League Baseball player who committed suicide last year, was suffering from the degenerative brain disease CTE, his family said Sunday, according to The Florida Times-Union. 

The brain of Freel, who retired in 2010 after having reportedly sustained nine or 10 concussions during his career, was studied after his death by the Boston University Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy and Sports Legacy Institute.

The Institute issued its findings Wednesday to Freel's family at baseball's winter meetings in Florida, the report said.

"Oh yes [it's helpful], especially for the girls," Freel's mother, Norma Vargas, said of his three children, speaking of the study to the Times-Union. "We adults can understand a little better. It's a closure for the girls who loved their dad so much, and they knew how much their dad loved them. It could help them understand why he did what he did. Maybe not now, but one day they will."

Freel's stepfather said the center's study of Freel's brain will be published in a medical journal early next year.

"It's a release in that there was a physical reason for what he did," Clark Vargas told the Times-Union. "On the other side, for me, Ryan fell through the cracks."

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is a condition that has been increasingly associated with longtime former football players who repeatedly sustained head injuries in their careers. 

Freel's career, six years of which were spent with the Cincinnati Reds, was cut short after eight seasons by a series of head and other injuries. He was found dead on Dec. 22, 2012, in Jacksonville, Fla.

Freel was suffering from Stage II CTE, according to the report, when he died at 36 of a self-inflicted shotgun wound. In Stage II, victims often experience headaches and loss of attention and concentration, depression, explosivity and short-term memory loss, the report said.

"One of the things Nowinski brought up, we're keeping track of pitch counts, can we keep track of how many guys are hit on the head?" Clark Vargas said, according to the newspaper, referring to Chris Nowinski, the co-founder and executive director at the Sports Legacy Institute.

Freel drew attention in 2006 when he was quoted by the Dayton Daily News as saying he had an imaginary friend, Farney.

"He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him," Freel had said. "Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney."

The Jacksonville native thrilled fans with his all-out style, yet it took a toll on his career. During his playing days, he once estimated he had sustained up to 10 concussions. Freel missed 30 games in 2007 after a collision with a teammate caused a concussion.

Freel showed no fear as he ran into walls, hurtled into the seats and crashed into other players trying to make catches. His jarring, diving grabs often made the highlight reels, and he was praised by those he played with and against for always having a dirt-stained uniform.

He was in center field when he collided with right fielder Norris Hopper's elbow on May 28, 2007, an injury that caused Freel to be taken off the field in an ambulance. Freel sustained a concussion that caused headaches and an impaired memory, and he didn't return until early July. He then suffered a season-ending knee surgery in August.

"I think what happened last year has taken a toll on this year," he said at spring training the following year. "Obviously there's question marks. Obviously there's people questioning or doubting or whatever it may be."

He sustained another head injury that put him back on the disabled list when he was hit by a pickoff throw to second base from then-Boston pitcher Justin Masterson during the Patriots Day game at Fenway Park on April 20, 2009. Freel appeared dazed as he walked off, both arms extended over the shoulders of Baltimore's trainers.

Disappointed about conditions surrounding a stress test he was forced to take before beginning a minor league rehabilitation assignment -- he insisted he felt fine -- Freel was traded to the Cubs on May 8 only to be dealt to Kansas City on July 6. The Royals cut him a month later, and he signed a minor league deal with Texas. The following year, he played in nine games for the Somerset Patriots of the independent Atlantic League.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10142581/cte-present-ryan-freel-killed-self-report-says

I know he's hardly the first player to turn down a contract, but his agent must be filling his head with some bullshit.  Can you imagine being offered a long-term guaranteed contract at $20m per, and thinking "Nah, I'm worth more than that"?

He got really lucky here, coming to a playoff-caliber team that's had a hard time finding a competent lead-off hitter.  His agent should realize that his value to the Reds last season is not at all the same as his value to MLB at large this season.

Choo turned down 7 years $140M from the Yankees. Or, more appropriately, he asked for more money and they said screw you..

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--shin-soo-choo-remains-the-riddle-of-the-free-agent-market-165809610.html

I know he's hardly the first player to turn down a contract, but his agent must be filling his head with some bullshit.  Can you imagine being offered a long-term guaranteed contract at $20m per, and thinking "Nah, I'm worth more than that"?

He got really lucky here, coming to a playoff-caliber team that's had a hard time finding a competent lead-off hitter.  His agent should realize that his value to the Reds last season is not at all the same as his value to MLB at large this season.

That is literally insane. Who is going to pay him more than that? He's not some big league mega star...WTF is wrong in the baseball world when a good OBP guy with average defense is asking for that kind of coin? Is there a new TV deal I am unaware of?

It is Boras.  He's screwed numerous people trying to do this.  Some team is going to super regret paying Choo down the line.  His home run numbers will go down in a bigger ballpark, he doesn't steal a lot of bases, and he is going to end up a platoon player in a few years. 

I saw someone say we should take on Grady Sizemore on a minor-league/camp invite contract.  I think that would be a good risk/reward.  He gets hurt and we don't lose much.  He plays well and we are contenders.  

Choo gone to Tejas.  7 years 130 million.  Unbelievable.  Year 4 he is going to be the highest salaried platoon guy in the league.

I'm going to miss him, but they are going to regret that contract in a few years.  It would have killed us.  Have to imagine his power numbers will go down as well.

We get an extra first round draft pick out of this, no?

• 2 weeks later...

I would be surprised if Sizemore can even make the roster if he was signed. He has not played a single game since the 2011 season and only combined to play 104 games the previous two years. When he did play in 2010 and 2011, he only batted .224 and .211. Sizemore has not really been good since 2008.

Options slim for improving the Reds

By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, January 7, 2014, 05:23 PM

UNSOLICITED OBSERVATIONS from the upgraded Man Cave, which received a nifty dark blue leather recliner chair when Nadine decided to refurnish the sun room.

I HAVE COMPLETED 11 chapters of my book and a publisher’s editor that read three chapters was highly complimentary and indicated they’d like to publish it. I will talk with them Wednesday. Like most baseball players, it’s all about the money.

RECEIVED SOME fantastic news this week. I have been named Ohio sports writer of the year for the 14th time by the National Sportscasters & Sportwriters Association. I was also on the NSSA Hall of Fame ballot and lost to Rick Reilly after losing last year to Mitch Albom. That’s fast company and I’m humbled to even be on a ballot with those guys.

SPEAKING OF receiving news, nothing is emanating from the front office in Great American Ball Park and it is only 38 days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training (but who’s counting?).

Thus far, since last season ended, the only major things to happen to the Cincinnati Reds are negative — they’ve lost outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to free agency and probably will lose pitcher Bronson Arroyo to free agency.

While Arroyo still hasn’t signed, although the Pittsburgh Pirates and Minnesota Twins appear still interested, it isn’t likely he’ll return to the Reds because he remains out of price range.

THAT’S BECAUSE the Reds have indicated that the budget already is bursting at the seams and a major addition isn’t likely, unless they can make a trade that doesn’t add payroll or even lowers it.

General Manager Walt Jocketty indicated that he isn’t talking to other teams at the moment and that if anything is done between now and spring training it is likely to be minor tinkering.

Jockey, though, has been known to spring a surprise or two.

WHAT IS DISCONCERTING is that Jocketty is already talking about losing pitcher Homer Bailey. This is his last year of salary arbitration and it is projected that he will make $9 million this year. Then he can become a free agent after the upcoming season and the price is never right for good young pitchers.

Jocketty and Bailey’s people haven’t talk about a contract extension, mainly because they know they won’t be able to afford him. After Bailey pitched his second career no-hitter last year, he said to me, “Well, that’s a few more million on my free agent contract.”

While Jocketty indicates theyd like to keep Bailey, there is no room in the wallet. They could trade him. Or they could keep him this season and make him a qualifying offer so that they would received draft choice compensation if Bailey signs somewhere else.

And if the Reds can’t afford Bailey, will they be able to afford Mat Latos after the 2016 season? It is the bane of teams with smaller operating budgets.

EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT Joey Votto is a star, a player a team wants to keep around. But perhaps the Reds slapped a pair of financial handcuffs on themselves when they signed Votto to a 10-year $225 million deal.

Remember when former general manager Jim Bowden signed Ken Griffey Jr., to a $116.5 million deal? That signing came one year after the Reds lost a one-game playoff with the New York Mets to qualify for the postseason.

Manager Jack McKeon was miffed at the time, “Because what we really needed was pitching. We were just a good pitcher or two from being a very good team. We didn’t need Griffey.”

And it was no fault of his, due to injuries, but Griffey was not the players he was in the 1990s with the Seattle Mariners, the best player in baseball. After finishing second in 2000, the Reds went nine straight years without finishing above .500.

Have the Reds now put themselves in the same kind of dilemma and situation?

I said it earlier this offseason and nothing has been done to change it.

The Reds window to win a championship is closed.  This team right now will finish no better than 3rd in the division, just not enough offense.

If you're out of it by the end of July start selling to reload the minors and try again when the talent is ready.

I would dump Bailey and Phillips first since they will get the highest return from a team in contention.

I would even listen to offers for Chapman and MAYBE Votto.. his contract being the reason why.

I said it earlier this offseason and nothing has been done to change it.

The Reds window to win a championship is closed.  This team right now will finish no better than 3rd in the division, just not enough offense.

If you're out of it by the end of July start selling to reload the minors and try again when the talent is ready.

I would dump Bailey and Phillips first since they will get the highest return from a team in contention.

I would even listen to offers for Chapman and MAYBE Votto.. his contract being the reason why.

Im not quite ready to give up. They should still have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. That alone can carry you close to the playoffs if they all stay healthy.

Hitting, yes I think could very well still struggle. Im hoping having a new manager and different approach will go a long way with a lot of guys like BP, Jay, frazier, etc. I dont expect any to get light years better, but maybe better situational type hitting.

Frazier and Ludwick need to have 2012 type years for this offense to be successful.

Im not quite ready to give up. They should still have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. That alone can carry you close to the playoffs if they all stay healthy.

Hitting, yes I think could very well still struggle. Im hoping having a new manager and different approach will go a long way with a lot of guys like BP, Jay, frazier, etc. I dont expect any to get light years better, but maybe better situational type hitting.

Frazier and Ludwick need to have 2012 type years for this offense to be successful.

I don't want to give up yet either but the signs are pointing towards that.

Bailey is gonna walk after this year so you might as well trade him if you're out of it. Arroyo is already gone, Cingrani will probably be on an innings limit which is concerning since he's going to start from the beginning of the year.

Cueto is a ? too. Can he stay healthy? Is that ridiculous motion re-worked correctly?  What about the bullpen? They certainly left something to be desired last year.

Phillips faded dramatically as the season went on.

Which Frazier will show up? If 2013 Frazier shows up 3rd base is going to be an offensive black hole.

Track record points toward Ludwick's 2012 being an aberration rather than the norm, plus throw in he'll be 36 and I just don't have confidence in him to produce what we would need him to produce.

Do we even have a CF?

St. Louis and Pittsburgh are going to be very good next year and with all the questions I just can't see better than 3rd in the division.

I still think the pitching staff will be good but will they be good enough to overcome the offense? My heart says yes! My brain says no..

To end on a good note though, I like how Mesoraco played the second half and Cozart showed good improvement as well.

I saw Walt was trying to work out a long-term contract with Bailey as well.  I'd love to see them get rid of Brandon and be able to keep Homer and Mat.  No matter what, great pitching will always keep you in the game.

Anyone know if we have any promising pitchers on the farm?  I really have no idea whats on the farm at this point.

Archived