IPAD Air

i just installed mavericks... maybe im crazy but everything seems to be running a LOT faster...

wtf..

as for the topic, all 4 of us will be getting the new ipads..  kids will get 32gb Retina minis. and wife and I will get Air's. 

I'm surprised they're giving away Mavericks for free... 

it was much of a money maker, they charged like $20-30 for OS's. the PR of giving it for free is probably worth whatever cash loss...

i just installed mavericks... maybe im crazy but everything seems to be running a LOT faster...

wtf..

as for the topic, all 4 of us will be getting the new ipads..  kids will get 32gb Retina minis. and wife and I will get Air's. 

it was much of a money maker, they charged like $20-30 for OS's. the PR of giving it for free is probably worth whatever cash loss...

Too bad my current MBP is too old to upgrade.  :glare:

Need a new car before another laptop unfortunately.  Or a tablet for that matter... :(

wtf..

just finished  the install myself... Seems pretty snappy

Too bad my current MBP is too old to upgrade.   :glare:

Need a new car before another laptop unfortunately.  Or a tablet for that matter... :(

eliminating the non-retina 15"MBP screwed me, i was going to sell mine and get that one, not i have to come up with far more money.. not only is it more, but i cant upgrade much on my own... so the upgrades will be costly upfront... i was going to do a 1TB SSD in it for $550 aftermarket.. now i cannot do that..

*sigh*

looks like after taxes close to $3,000  I can still get $800-ish for mine, so $2200 i need to magically appear.... wont be happening this year....

I'm typically pretty lukewarm about Apple, but I have to say the weight improvement on the new IPAD will have me buying my first IPAD ever. I have 2 'gifted' ones, but never considered buying one until now. I'm actually pretty excited about and look forward to it. Anyone else getting one?

A six ounce weight loss on an item that used to weigh 1.4 pounds is what finally reeled you in?

I am at a loss for words...

A six ounce weight loss on an item that used to weigh 1.4 pounds is what finally reeled you in?

I am at a loss for words...

it sounds ridiculous, however it makes a big difference, especially when using it one handed, like laying on your side or holding and scrolling, or holding and typing...

its a noticeable difference in that regard.

Can someone please explain without sarcasm the true benefits or appeal of a tablet over say, a good laptop or even an advanced phone like the Note III, which is sorta a combo phone and tablet to begin with?

Last Summer I used my mom's Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 while on vacation in our condo in Florida and we had decently fast Wi-Fi and I found the thing super frustrating to use for negotiating Facebook and boards like this one, particularly for typing in responses. It got to the point where I wanted to throw the thing across the room. Mom finds it useful for mobile email, Pinterest and the like and my sons while we were on vacation seemed to enjoy playing games on it and streaming video. But what makes it better than a decent laptop or a top shelf, large phone? 

Plus you need to get a separate data plan for it and it hogs data more than a phone. I guess I am trying to understand what it offers over the other options I listed other than a compromise in portability between a large phone and a laptop, and possibly a larger screen than the former.

Can someone please explain without sarcasm the true benefits or appeal of a tablet over say, a good laptop or even an advanced phone like the Note III, which is sorta a combo phone and tablet to begin with?

Last Summer I used my mom's Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 while on vacation in our condo in Florida and we had decently fast Wi-Fi and I found the thing super frustrating to use for negotiating Facebook and boards like this one, particularly for typing in responses. It got to the point where I wanted to throw the thing across the room. Mom finds it useful for mobile email, Pinterest and the like and my sons while we were on vacation seemed to enjoy playing games on it and streaming video. But what makes it better than a decent laptop or a top shelf, large phone? 

Plus you need to get a separate data plan for it and it hogs data more than a phone. I guess I am trying to understand what it offers over the other options I listed other than a compromise in portability between a large phone and a laptop, and possibly a larger screen than the former.

Portability, speed, and integration. You can also use IPad with wifi and eliminate the need for cellular connectivity. The non-cellular versions also cost less. I use mine with my iPhone mobile hotspot when I am out and about. 

I love my Mac Book Pro but I would not want to put my shopping list on it and walk around the store or boot it up when I want to send a quick e-mail or have a quick face time chat with my wife. 

(full disclosure: I sell Apple products for a living so I am obviously biased)

The best explanation I've heard is this:

Tablets are for consuming information.

Laptops are for creating information.

If you're watching a movie\video, reading, performing random internet searches, then a tablet will suit your needs.  Let's face it, most people consume, they don't create.

If you're making posts, writing letters, doing things which require intense or constant input, then a laptop is what you need, even if you have a keyboard attached to the tablet, and that goes double for huge cell phones.

My lovely bride just needs something to watch TV shows and look at pictures of cats on the internet, so she'll be getting an iPad.  I need something that I can take with me and actually use for work in a pinch.  Therefore I'll be getting a MacBook Air.  Or Pro; haven't decided yet.

That's how I look at it...

Portability, speed, and integration. You can also use IPad with wifi and eliminate the need for cellular connectivity. The non-cellular versions also cost less. I use mine with my iPhone mobile hotspot when I am out and about. 

I love my Mac Book Pro but I would not want to put my shopping list on it and walk around the store or boot it up when I want to send a quick e-mail or have a quick face time chat with my wife. 

(full disclosure: I sell Apple products for a living so I am obviously biased)

An excellent point also.

I'm going to make some observations here. Full disclosure: I now work for Sprint in a preferred (franchise-type) retailer outlet. We also sell Apple products in addition to other shit. I'm also going to ask questions to try and get a better understanding of the business I have got myself into.

i-phones seem pretty cool but also seem just as much a fashion statement as a useful device to enrich your life, especially in conjunction with the accessories being sold (colored charging cables, $80 Lifeproof cases, the colors of the phones themselves...especially the i-Phone C, which is offered mostly in the most godawful pastel colors I have ever seen...who buys that shit?).

i-Phones seem to buck the trend of increasingly larger phones like the Note II and III, even the Moto-X and Razr HD Maxx are much larger phones...why did Apple opt to go so small with the i-phones? I thought the "going small" trend ended with Will Farrel's SNL character and his uber-small flip phone from years ago? And they are really expensive. What can they do that a really decent Android or Windows phone cannot do other than supposedly seamlessly connect to other Apple devices?

It seems to me in my limited experience that Apple throttles availability of their products to purposely drive up demand. For instance, since it's been explained to me that us, as a retailer, have to pay full price for these devices and only make it up on activation/commission paybacks from Sprint, we hardly carry squat in inventory. Of the Apple phones we sell, only the 4s is in inventory in anything greater than 8GB. The 5s and C are minimum 16GB phones so we have exactly ONE S and like three or four C's in stock in that range. If a customer comes in to buy a 32GB or 64GB phone, we have to order it and they have to come back and pick it up a day or too later (A VAD order). Frustrating for us and for them.

We have exactly ONE i-Pad mini in stock.

We are forced to put up signage by Sprint to advertise products that are allocated or that we will not stock and have to VAD for the customer...the $50 Samsung tablet (3??...it's really tiny anyway) comes to mind. We have HUGE signs for this thing and when it was rolled out we were given FOUR of them for five stores, we never got one, they promptly sold out and we got in ONE yesterday...which was then taken from my store by another store in the company so once again we have NONE. Seems crazy to continually advertise things you do not have.

Had a guy today upgraded to a Note III, saw the huge display for the "galaxy gear", which is essentially a James Bond watch for this enormous phone, wanted to buy, only to be told we couldn't get it yet. It's EXTREMELY frustrating.

Anyway, as for tablets...I still don't get the appeal over one of these tablet/huge phone/Note III combo deals...it seems they can do everything a tablet can and are more portable than them. Granted, they aren't an Apple product but I am yet trying to understand the ultimate appeal of paying such a dear premium for an Apple product in order to be in a constant state of connectivity to the OTHER Apple devices, laptops, etc you already own or may buy, also at a very dear price.

Somebody chime in here. There's more but I have to stop now.

I'm going to make some observations here. Full disclosure: I now work for Sprint in a preferred (franchise-type) retailer outlet. We also sell Apple products in addition to other shit. I'm also going to ask questions to try and get a better understanding of the business I have got myself into.

i-phones seem pretty cool but also seem just as much a fashion statement as a useful device to enrich your life, especially in conjunction with the accessories being sold (colored charging cables, $80 Lifeproof cases, the colors of the phones themselves...especially the i-Phone C, which is offered mostly in the most godawful pastel colors I have ever seen...who buys that shit?).

i-Phones seem to buck the trend of increasingly larger phones like the Note II and III, even the Moto-X and Razr HD Maxx are much larger phones...why did Apple opt to go so small with the i-phones? I thought the "going small" trend ended with Will Farrel's SNL character and his uber-small flip phone from years ago? And they are really expensive. What can they do that a really decent Android or Windows phone cannot do other than supposedly seamlessly connect to other Apple devices?

It seems to me in my limited experience that Apple throttles availability of their products to purposely drive up demand. For instance, since it's been explained to me that us, as a retailer, have to pay full price for these devices and only make it up on activation/commission paybacks from Sprint, we hardly carry squat in inventory. Of the Apple phones we sell, only the 4s is in inventory in anything greater than 8GB. The 5s and C are minimum 16GB phones so we have exactly ONE S and like three or four C's in stock in that range. If a customer comes in to buy a 32GB or 64GB phone, we have to order it and they have to come back and pick it up a day or too later (A VAD order). Frustrating for us and for them.

We have exactly ONE i-Pad mini in stock.

We are forced to put up signage by Sprint to advertise products that are allocated or that we will not stock and have to VAD for the customer...the $50 Samsung tablet (3??...it's really tiny anyway) comes to mind. We have HUGE signs for this thing and when it was rolled out we were given FOUR of them for five stores, we never got one, they promptly sold out and we got in ONE yesterday...which was then taken from my store by another store in the company so once again we have NONE. Seems crazy to continually advertise things you do not have.

Had a guy today upgraded to a Note III, saw the huge display for the "galaxy gear", which is essentially a James Bond watch for this enormous phone, wanted to buy, only to be told we couldn't get it yet. It's EXTREMELY frustrating.

Anyway, as for tablets...I still don't get the appeal over one of these tablet/huge phone/Note III combo deals...it seems they can do everything a tablet can and are more portable than them. Granted, they aren't an Apple product but I am yet trying to understand the ultimate appeal of paying such a dear premium for an Apple product in order to be in a constant state of connectivity to the OTHER Apple devices, laptops, etc you already own or may buy, also at a very dear price.

Somebody chime in here. There's more but I have to stop now.

For the 5C and 5S the average shipping time right now is 2-3 weeks even buying directly from Apple. I am hoping they increase inventory before the holiday season really kicks off. People get kinda goofy when they can't get instant gratification. 

Wait until the iPad air officially goes on sale. People will go manic over that too. 

For the 5C and 5S the average shipping time right now is 2-3 weeks even buying directly from Apple. I am hoping they increase inventory before the holiday season really kicks off. People get kinda goofy when they can't get instant gratification. 

Wait until the iPad air officially goes on sale. People will go manic over that too. 

We don't seem to be having trouble getting the C. We have like two yellow, one blue, one white and one green in stock right now. It's the S we can't get....since you say you sell for Apple I'd be happy for you to share your experiences and address the other questions and comments I have. I come from a completely different industry and am doing everything I can to try to grasp what I am getting into.

We don't seem to be having trouble getting the C. We have like two yellow, one blue, one white and one green in stock right now. It's the S we can't get....since you say you sell for Apple I'd be happy for you to share your experiences and address the other questions and comments I have. I come from a completely different industry and am doing everything I can to try to grasp what I am getting into.

Demand for the S seems to be much stronger. I get maybe a 10-1 ratio of calls for the 5C versus the 5S. 

I am not a fan of all the colors either but our core market is the college age group and they love the colorful stuff and Apple has built a strong brand with that age group.

As Apple sales reps we pay full price too. The corporate culture is such that we have no more information or special advantages than the general public. I saw mavericks for the first time today along with everyone else. 

As for size I don't know the official reason but personally I like that my iPhone sits fairly easily in my shirt pocket.

I don't know of any throttling but I can tell you that demand for the newest products is always insane. We actually have it in our contracts that we work longer hours on release days. It gets crazy. I have people with month old 4S phones paying full price for the 5S because they don't want to wait for their upgrade dates.  

Demand for the S seems to be much stronger. I get maybe a 10-1 ratio of calls for the 5C versus the 5S. 

I am not a fan of all the colors either but our core market is the college age group and they love the colorful stuff and Apple has built a strong brand with that age group.

As Apple sales reps we pay full price too. The corporate culture is such that we have no more information or special advantages than the general public. I saw mavericks for the first time today along with everyone else. 

As for size I don't know the official reason but personally I like that my iPhone sits fairly easily in my shirt pocket.

I don't know of any throttling but I can tell you that demand for the newest products is always insane. We actually have it in our contracts that we work longer hours on release days. It gets crazy. I have people with month old 4S phones paying full price for the 5S because they don't want to wait for their upgrade dates.  

Maybe that's part of it with our SprintOneUp program. with qualifying credit, you can get any phone we sell either as an upgrade to your existing contract or as part of a new contract for no money down and no interest on the phone. You just pay the tax on the device and walk out with it. The amortized, non-retail discounted price of the phone that's normally associated with buying into a new service agreement is now spread out over 24 months. And with this program you are eligible for an upgrade after only one year, so you never really pay full price for the device and can get  the latest and greatest after 12 months, but you do have to turn your "old" phone in is a "giveback" in order to keep that train rolling.

I consider that to be pure insanity...

Archived