One less friend

CincyInDC

Sorry for the attention whoring, but this situation sucks and I'm just putting this here anyway.

A very good friend lost her life hiking in Nepal a few days ago.  I'm hurt, angry, sad, confused, and even happy (that my other friends who were with her are ok).

We shouldn't have to say goodbye to someone who was 30.  Fuck you, death.

[attachment=1258:Domi.jpg]

She posted a quote on her Facebook page shortly before leaving for Nepal:

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

~Jack Kerouac

In our brief meeting here in Las Vegas, she seemed to exude that very sentiment.  Hiking was a passion for her and brought her great joy.

Makes me think of the old Robert Frost poem:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth;         5   Then took the other, as just as fair, And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear; Though as for that the passing there Had worn them really about the same,         10   And both that morning equally lay In leaves no step had trodden black. Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back.         15   I shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Thanks guys, this is pretty much what I needed. Well...aside from the obvious--that it was a huge misunderstanding.  It's not.

Bung: all we know is she fell, presumably far, into a river or gorge.  Tomorrow morning I pick up our surviving friends from the airport and will hopefully get a better explanation then.  But I won't press them.  for as bad as all of us in Munich feel, they are probably bearing the worst at this point.

Archived