Getting new iMac – SSD drive?

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. Here are my choices for an iMac adding SSD.

256GB Flash Storage [Add $200.00]

512GB Flash Storage [Add $500.00]

1TB Flash Storage [Add $1000.00]

It's all about your budget, and how much storage you need.

As Go said earlier..if you are comfortable updating your drive after the fact, you will save tons of cash. If not just get as much as you need/can afford.

you can always attach an external drive to it too, if you choose one of the smaller ones.

It's all about your budget, and how much storage you need.

As Go said earlier..if you are comfortable updating your drive after the fact, you will save tons of cash. If not just get as much as you need/can afford.

you can always attach an external drive to it too, if you choose one of the smaller ones.

Exactly.  And keep in mind, with Apple laptops and Time Machine, switching out the HDD and restoring the OS and files is easy as hell.  If you don't have an immediate need for the extra space, buy just what you need, then upgrade later. 

I also have a MacBook Pro Spring 2011 running Mavericks. It has an HD drive. Can I take it to an Apple store and have them put an SSD in and move all my field over to it?

Sure but it'll cost you.  The unibody MacBook Pro is easy to swap the HD out of; why not just buy a new drive from Crucial or the like and restore your backup?  You simply boot off of your Time Machine backup and choose to restore it.

Unless you're horribly uncomfortable with that sort of thing, then by all means have the folks at Apple do it for you.

Sure but it'll cost you.  The unibody MacBook Pro is easy to swap the HD out of; why not just buy a new drive from Crucial or the like and restore your backup?  You simply boot off of your Time Machine backup and choose to restore it.

Unless you're horribly uncomfortable with that sort of thing, then by all means have the folks at Apple do it for you.

this.

i have upgraded my drives dozens of times.... it really couldnt be easier to do...

I guess if I could watch someone doing it once before I did, I would do it. I have too many files I would not want to lose. I just know Apple prices are always higher, but Apple has the best buyer protection in the world for computers, iPhones, iPads, iPod, Apple TV, ...

I guess if I could watch someone doing it once before I did, I would do it. I have too many files I would not want to lose. I just know Apple prices are always higher, but Apple has the best buyer protection in the world for computers, iPhones, iPads, iPod, Apple TV, ...

there are 1,000's of youtube videos showing it being done. a 1tb SSD is under $600 on amazon. also, i THINK the imac has 2 HD slots, so you can put your old one in as a secondary drive and not even have to transfer the data if you dont want to..

there are 1,000's of youtube videos showing it being done. a 1tb SSD is under $600 on amazon. also, i THINK the imac has 2 HD slots, so you can put your old one in as a secondary drive and not even have to transfer the data if you dont want to.. 

:39:

:39:

ifixit.com has teardown videos or photo sets too, showing every step of taking it apart. youll be able to see if its still got two slots and how easy it is to open up, etc.

if it has two slots, you may wanna get a smaller SSD to save $$ and use the SSD for mavericks and apps you install, and use the other drive for other storage...

just another option...  but running everything from ssd would be awesome..

• 3 months later...

Hijacking this old thread since I have more questions on using a SSD.

I got a new laptop and immediately switched out the HDD for a 240gb SSD. Are there any settings with the computer itself I should change also to optimise performance? I read online about turning on the TRIM command (?) and disabling defrag. I read somewhere else the windows 8 will optimise a SSD automatically and you shouldn't do anything.

I'm completely new to SSD so any tips are appreciated.

Hijacking this old thread since I have more questions on using a SSD.

I got a new laptop and immediately switched out the HDD for a 240gb SSD. Are there any settings with the computer itself I should change also to optimise performance? I read online about turning on the TRIM command (?) and disabling defrag. I read somewhere else the windows 8 will optimise a SSD automatically and you shouldn't do anything.

I'm completely new to SSD so any tips are appreciated.

Modern operating systems (W8, OS X 10.9, Linux kernel 3+) will take care of any SSD needs automatically, both in regard to performance and longevity. 

Archived