When do we get to start arguing that Dalton is elite??

A deep playoff run definitely puts him in the conversation, especially if he keeps playing like he has the last few weeks. The guy is not done improving yet either.

If he keeps playing like he has in the last three weeks, he's probably league MVP.

Edit: ROS (7 games)-- 66% 3,500 yards 30 td's and 3 ints. Unlikely.

When he learns to throw the deep ball.

100% :ninja:

Love Andy's game with the weapons we've got. Whoever has the vision in the front office deserves major kudos.

After so much historical dysfunction in the Bengals staff, it's so awesome to have a front office and coaching staff executing the same vision top to bottom. It doesn't matter if people around the league think Dalton is elite, it matters if he's the best QB for this team and system, and he is.

Dalton isn't elite, and it would probably be a year from now before that's a legitimate discussion.  Keep playing like he has (the command of the offense, not necessarily the flashy numbers), toss in a playoff win or two, and its a conversation next year.  

I don't know that he'll ever be elite (top 5), in fact I doubt it,  but he can certainly become a top 10-12, and that's all this team really needs with the way its built.

Dalton isn't elite, and it would probably be a year from now before that's a legitimate discussion.  Keep playing like he has (the command of the offense, not necessarily the flashy numbers), toss in a playoff win or two, and its a conversation next year.  

I don't know that he'll ever be elite (top 5), in fact I doubt it,  but he can certainly become a top 10-12, and that's all this team really needs with the way its built.

Agreed, i think he'll enter top 7 discussion though, we have to remember manning and brady wont be around much longer.

I think it can be reasonably argued that he IS currently a top 10-12 QB.   Time, wins, playoffs, and hopefully championships will determine the elite status.  

I think it can be reasonably argued that he IS currently a top 10-12 QB.   Time, wins, playoffs, and hopefully championships will determine the elite status.  

one could make that argument. He was top 12 in most every QB statistical category last year.  He's top 10 in pretty much all of them after today (and will be top 5 in many).  

The argument will be, how many other QB's would be doing the same in this offense, which is a fair argument to a point (with that point being, when you give Dalton NO credit for what he's doing because of the rest of the offense).

never. unless you are a crazy person.

Elite QB's get it done with or without an elite group around them, Dalton cant even consistently get it done with a pile of elite talent on both sides of the ball.

he STILL underthrows wide open receivers, 3 times today, also beating GOOD teams would be a solid start, as well, 

not making dumbass plays would also be a solid step in the right direction.. the INT short pass was stupid.

SANU deep pass that he dropped diving should have been an easy in stride TD.

The deep pass green caught should have been an easy in stride TD

The deep pass down the sideline to green he had his guy by 7-8 yards... underthrown...

still most ended up good, hell great plays, but these are passes that are TD's for elite QB's..

he doesnt show up in big games. we scored 6 points against the browns...

he doesnt play particularly well from behind, just about every "comeback" victory we have had has involved a HUGE defensive play/series, or the defense scoring, and sometimes the other team or our special teams totaolly fucking up (lions, defense hold, punter shanked, green bay, defense caused fumble, and ran back for game winning score, and stopped GB after scoring go ahead TD. Then the one game we punt returned to the 50, got two average easy passes to green and kicked a FG. hell Nugent hit a 54 yarder for the win against the Lions, so it took good defensive stops, bad special teams for the lions, and a great long FG...

we have a great team. but Dalton is the flat time on the Porsche.

when elite QB's get even one great player, they go off (manning this year, Brady when he had moss) elite QB's destroy teams, on their own, and get what, 49 TD's for brady and moss,..

elite QB's get 30+ td's with rotating RB's and unrestricted free agent WR's they get from no where, Aaron rodgers doesnt have HALF the talent dalton does, and still smokes teams.

Elite QB's make magical comebacks, like brady against the saints, and like Stafford today against the cowboys, and like Manning..all the time...

it takes dalton shredding a bad jets team, getting 5 TD passes to even break into the top half of the league in TD passes. didnt brady go YEARS without having a game with no TD's, and dalton had two in a row, this year? 

i would love to have an elite QB. we are superbowl contenders with an elite QB... the AFC is weak this year aside from 2-3 teams, we can easily get that first palyoff win at home this year, but at some point, we are going to face a team that can put up pints and has a decent defense.. we can play with those teams unless the defense scores.

when you defense outscores your offense in the playoffs, its a bad sign.. when you have multiple pro bowl offensive weapons and your defense out scores your offense... its a RELLY bad sign...

I dont know why people think I have some grudge against dalton, i just dont see him as a top 10 QB. and in todays NFL you need a top 10 QB to win for real. win when it matters, and be a real contender...

He was mediocre in a safe offense in college and struggles with the same things in year that that he struggled with as a rookie.

didnt he have a 4 TD game his rookie year? there has been minimal progress as a QB.. he came into the league a leader and a smart QB. all of the same shortcomings are still there and are what will untimately stop the teams progress.. 

wish i was wrong... i guess its nice to have a short memory and a deep homeristic hope to be right about loving the guy... but im not on that boat with most people...

his biggest problem should be picking which badass talent he should get the ball too... but its missing wide open players...STILL... 

elite qb... not even close...

ANYWAY...I fly to Florida wednesday morning, look for me on TV thursday...

Elite QB's get it done with or without an elite group around them, Dalton cant even consistently get it done with a pile of elite talent on both sides of the ball.

he STILL underthrows wide open receivers, 3 times today, also beating GOOD teams would be a solid start, as well, 

not making dumbass plays would also be a solid step in the right direction.. the INT short pass was stupid.

The deep pass down the sideline to green he had his guy by 7-8 yards... underthrown...

still most ended up good, hell great plays, but these are passes that are TD's for elite QB's..

he doesnt play particularly well from behind, just about every "comeback" victory we have had has involved a HUGE defensive play/series, or the defense scoring, and sometimes the other team or our special teams totaolly fucking up (lions, defense hold, punter shanked, green bay, defense caused fumble, and ran back for game winning score, and stopped GB after scoring go ahead TD. Then the one game we punt returned to the 50, got two average easy passes to green and kicked a FG. hell Nugent hit a 54 yarder for the win against the Lions, so it took good defensive stops, bad special teams for the lions, and a great long FG...

when elite QB's get even one great player, they go off (manning this year, Brady when he had moss) elite QB's destroy teams, on their own, and get what, 49 TD's for brady and moss,..

elite QB's get 30+ td's with rotating RB's and unrestricted free agent WR's they get from no where, Aaron rodgers doesnt have HALF the talent dalton does, and still smokes teams.

Elite QB's make magical comebacks, like brady against the saints, and like Stafford today against the cowboys, and like Manning..all the time...

it takes dalton shredding a bad jets team, getting 5 TD passes to even break into the top half of the league in TD passes. didnt brady go YEARS without having a game with no TD's, and dalton had two in a row, this year? 

i would love to have an elite QB. we are superbowl contenders with an elite QB... the AFC is weak this year aside from 2-3 teams, we can easily get that first palyoff win at home this year, but at some point, we are going to face a team that can put up pints and has a decent defense.. we can play with those teams unless the defense scores.

when you defense outscores your offense in the playoffs, its a bad sign.. when you have multiple pro bowl offensive weapons and your defense out scores your offense... its a RELLY bad sign...

I dont know why people think I have some grudge against dalton, i just dont see him as a top 10 QB. and in todays NFL you need a top 10 QB to win for real. win when it matters, and be a real contender...

He was mediocre in a safe offense in college and struggles with the same things in year that that he struggled with as a rookie.

didnt he have a 4 TD game his rookie year? there has been minimal progress as a QB.. he came into the league a leader and a smart QB. all of the same shortcomings are still there and are what will untimately stop the teams progress.. 

wish i was wrong... i guess its nice to have a short memory and a deep homeristic hope to be right about loving the guy... but im not on that boat with most people...

his biggest problem should be picking which badass talent he should get the ball too... but its missing wide open players...STILL... 

I always chuckle when you make posts like this and just completely make up stats and try and pass them off as accurate.

Go, what you say may be true, but the problem with your argument is that Brady, Manning and Rodgers DON'T PLAY FOR US and never will. So, we are forced to "make do" with what we have. And what we have is better than you make it out to be. No QB is perfect. 

Guys like that DO NOT GROW ON TREES

Fucking pathetic. Its amazing that you havent posted at all in the bengals forum the last 3 weeks when Dalton has thrown for 11 Tds 2 ints, 70 plus completion percentage, etc. Then come here and make a page long post about how bad the guy is???

Seriously??? Obvious troll is obvious.

one could make that argument. He was top 12 in most every QB statistical category last year.  He's top 10 in pretty much all of them after today (and will be top 5 in many).  

The argument will be, how many other QB's would be doing the same in this offense, which is a fair argument to a point (with that point being, when you give Dalton NO credit for what he's doing because of the rest of the offense).

My head hurts... uggh.   Just straight up question for you...  In your opinion, you do not think Dalton is in that 10-12 range currently?  

My head hurts... uggh.   Just straight up question for you...  In your opinion, you do not think Dalton is in that 10-12 range currently?  

To start the season I thought he was probably the 15th or 16th best QB in the league.  Off the top of my head, I honestly couldn't tell you where I'd put him on a list right this second other than to say its higher than 15, and probably less than 10.  

Also worth noting is that not every QB is a fit for this system.  ie., Stafford would not be a good QB in this system.  

And fwiw stats are different.  To explain an example I used last year.  Dalton had better stats than Eli Manning last year, but you couldn't really say in the grand scheme that Dalton is a better QB than Eli given each's cumulative careers.  A better way of saying it:  Tom Brady currently has the 31st best completion percentage in the league, but that doesn't mean he's the 31st most accurate QB in the league.

Archived