When do we get to start arguing that Dalton is elite??

Fun game today and hes played very well the past 3 weeks, but completely premature thread.

That's why I asked when we can start the conversation, not 'let's start the conversation.'

but to be honest I started this thread mostly as a joke, but it got real when Go typed out a 5000 word essay.

I don't care if he's elite. Eli isn't elite. Ben isn't elite. Flacco isn't elite. Who gives a fuck. Dalton is playing really well, has complete control of the offense, calls the no huddle really well, can spread the ball around... It honestly doesn't get much better. Super duper elite QBs take years to get to that status.

AJ Green has fumbled this year and had his share of dropped passes. Does that mean he's not a great player and a huge asset? I watch a lot of football and tons of deep balls don't hit the mark game after game after game. You could honestly argue that not hitting Green in stride is Andy's only glaring issue... and even that isn't that bad. Andy isn't perfect and never will be but he is helping this team win and is perfectly capable of winning a Superbowl.

never. unless you are a crazy person.

Elite QB's get it done with or without an elite group around them, Dalton cant even consistently get it done with a pile of elite talent on both sides of the ball.

he STILL underthrows wide open receivers, 3 times today, also beating GOOD teams would be a solid start, as well, 

not making dumbass plays would also be a solid step in the right direction.. the INT short pass was stupid.

SANU deep pass that he dropped diving should have been an easy in stride TD.

The deep pass green caught should have been an easy in stride TD

The deep pass down the sideline to green he had his guy by 7-8 yards... underthrown...

still most ended up good, hell great plays, but these are passes that are TD's for elite QB's..

he doesnt show up in big games. we scored 6 points against the browns...

he doesnt play particularly well from behind, just about every "comeback" victory we have had has involved a HUGE defensive play/series, or the defense scoring, and sometimes the other team or our special teams totaolly fucking up (lions, defense hold, punter shanked, green bay, defense caused fumble, and ran back for game winning score, and stopped GB after scoring go ahead TD. Then the one game we punt returned to the 50, got two average easy passes to green and kicked a FG. hell Nugent hit a 54 yarder for the win against the Lions, so it took good defensive stops, bad special teams for the lions, and a great long FG...

we have a great team. but Dalton is the flat time on the Porsche.

when elite QB's get even one great player, they go off (manning this year, Brady when he had moss) elite QB's destroy teams, on their own, and get what, 49 TD's for brady and moss,..

elite QB's get 30+ td's with rotating RB's and unrestricted free agent WR's they get from no where, Aaron rodgers doesnt have HALF the talent dalton does, and still smokes teams.

Elite QB's make magical comebacks, like brady against the saints, and like Stafford today against the cowboys, and like Manning..all the time...

it takes dalton shredding a bad jets team, getting 5 TD passes to even break into the top half of the league in TD passes. didnt brady go YEARS without having a game with no TD's, and dalton had two in a row, this year? 

i would love to have an elite QB. we are superbowl contenders with an elite QB... the AFC is weak this year aside from 2-3 teams, we can easily get that first palyoff win at home this year, but at some point, we are going to face a team that can put up pints and has a decent defense.. we can play with those teams unless the defense scores.

when you defense outscores your offense in the playoffs, its a bad sign.. when you have multiple pro bowl offensive weapons and your defense out scores your offense... its a RELLY bad sign...

I dont know why people think I have some grudge against dalton, i just dont see him as a top 10 QB. and in todays NFL you need a top 10 QB to win for real. win when it matters, and be a real contender...

He was mediocre in a safe offense in college and struggles with the same things in year that that he struggled with as a rookie.

didnt he have a 4 TD game his rookie year? there has been minimal progress as a QB.. he came into the league a leader and a smart QB. all of the same shortcomings are still there and are what will untimately stop the teams progress.. 

wish i was wrong... i guess its nice to have a short memory and a deep homeristic hope to be right about loving the guy... but im not on that boat with most people...

his biggest problem should be picking which badass talent he should get the ball too... but its missing wide open players...STILL... 

elite qb... not even close...

ANYWAY...I fly to Florida wednesday morning, look for me on TV thursday...

Will you be wearing a Carson jersey? You're a douchebag. Agenda much Gaylord?

Elite QB's get it done with or without an elite group around them, Dalton cant even consistently get it done with a pile of elite talent on both sides of the ball.

he STILL underthrows wide open receivers, 3 times today, also beating GOOD teams would be a solid start, as well, 

not making dumbass plays would also be a solid step in the right direction.. the INT short pass was stupid.

The deep pass down the sideline to green he had his guy by 7-8 yards... underthrown...

still most ended up good, hell great plays, but these are passes that are TD's for elite QB's..

he doesnt play particularly well from behind, just about every "comeback" victory we have had has involved a HUGE defensive play/series, or the defense scoring, and sometimes the other team or our special teams totaolly fucking up (lions, defense hold, punter shanked, green bay, defense caused fumble, and ran back for game winning score, and stopped GB after scoring go ahead TD. Then the one game we punt returned to the 50, got two average easy passes to green and kicked a FG. hell Nugent hit a 54 yarder for the win against the Lions, so it took good defensive stops, bad special teams for the lions, and a great long FG...

when elite QB's get even one great player, they go off (manning this year, Brady when he had moss) elite QB's destroy teams, on their own, and get what, 49 TD's for brady and moss,..

elite QB's get 30+ td's with rotating RB's and unrestricted free agent WR's they get from no where, Aaron rodgers doesnt have HALF the talent dalton does, and still smokes teams.

Elite QB's make magical comebacks, like brady against the saints, and like Stafford today against the cowboys, and like Manning..all the time...

it takes dalton shredding a bad jets team, getting 5 TD passes to even break into the top half of the league in TD passes. didnt brady go YEARS without having a game with no TD's, and dalton had two in a row, this year? 

i would love to have an elite QB. we are superbowl contenders with an elite QB... the AFC is weak this year aside from 2-3 teams, we can easily get that first palyoff win at home this year, but at some point, we are going to face a team that can put up pints and has a decent defense.. we can play with those teams unless the defense scores.

when you defense outscores your offense in the playoffs, its a bad sign.. when you have multiple pro bowl offensive weapons and your defense out scores your offense... its a RELLY bad sign...

I dont know why people think I have some grudge against dalton, i just dont see him as a top 10 QB. and in todays NFL you need a top 10 QB to win for real. win when it matters, and be a real contender...

He was mediocre in a safe offense in college and struggles with the same things in year that that he struggled with as a rookie.

didnt he have a 4 TD game his rookie year? there has been minimal progress as a QB.. he came into the league a leader and a smart QB. all of the same shortcomings are still there and are what will untimately stop the teams progress.. 

wish i was wrong... i guess its nice to have a short memory and a deep homeristic hope to be right about loving the guy... but im not on that boat with most people...

his biggest problem should be picking which badass talent he should get the ball too... but its missing wide open players...STILL... 

So you think posting a thousand word post will bring people over to your side? Personally, I think it shows how pathetic you are. Something tells me you need a teaballectomy, to get Carson's balls out of your throat. We were all wondering where shaelyn put them, it seems we now know.

That's why I asked when we can start the conversation, not 'let's start the conversation.'

but to be honest I started this thread mostly as a joke, but it got real when Go typed out a 5000 word essay.

Did you really?

If so, then I think a few answered....go deep in the playoffs, hell Eli and Flacco (lolololol) werent considered "eliete" until they won a superbowl.

Elite or not... I guess that's for talking heads and message boards. IMO he's not in the top tier, probably not even top 10, but he wins, and that's what I care about. Same as when he was at TCU... To think that he led that team - a Mountain West team, to a Rose Bowl champion is still pretty amazing to me. It wasn't just him, of course, but he was a big, big part of it.

I've seen positive progression in his game, his command of the offense, looking for other guys, etc. and it's no mystery, as a number of folks on here, and Marvin himself has said as much. The team is growing/maturing together - other guys are stepping up, Gruden is calling better games, etc.

If you add an excellent receiver out of the backfield in Gio who also gives you the speed element as a runner, add an excellent pass-catching TE, have other young guys like Marvin Jones, Gresham and Sanu getting more ingrained in the offense and playing together, and take a QB who has a firmer grasp of the offense and is making better decisions on where to go with the ball instead of forcing it to AJ, you have an offense that's maturing, and approaching what I'm sure was envisioned by Marvin Lewis and crew.

So, like others, I could give two shits if he's elite or not. I just want wins, and for now, I'm enjoying the ride. That was really fun to watch yesterday; not saying they're the same at all, but that dominant performance reminded me of the 90s Cowboys teams that put opponents away at halftime.

He isn't an "elite" quarterback, but he is a very good QB for this team... I hope he keeps up the way he has played the last few weeks...been a blast to watch....

I think I heard that his record is like 25-15 now..that's pretty damn good, just needs to get it done in the playoffs now..

That post that Go wrote was unfucking believable....

Andy has been on fire lately, and he still only talks about the 1 or 2 negative plays...

I couldn't imagine hating a player on the team I love like that... I mean I can understand not liking a player... but christ....

I know this will make zero difference since you are hell bent on your tainted view... but I feel I need to respond.

Sure, "elite" QBs might be able to win you games on their own, but eventually their pay dictates that that's the only chance you have at winning.  So if I had the choice between an "elite" QB and marginal supporting cast, or a good QB with good cast around him, I'd take the latter.  Too many things have to go right with a stripped down team - one skill position injury can take them out of the running almost immediately.  And too much pressure or reliance on that position can make or break the team (see Indy, circa 2011)

PS - I think there's less than a handful of "elite" QBs - Rodgers, Peyton, Brady, Brees  - and last I checked no one is looking to trade them to the Bengals.  And last I checked our current TEAM just beat two of those 3 elite QB's and their respective team.  I'd definitely take our entire team rather that this one ELITE QB who apparently can win a championship on their own. 

I wish you could step away from your Carson and Brat flavored porridge for a minute.  I only bring Carson up because I don't remember any "elite" QB  hatred spewing when we had him at the helm.  Here's a brief sampling of numbers for you (which will neatly be dismissed by who was on the team, who we played, YAC totals, how Kyle Cook's ass smelled for Carson vs. Andy, etc...)

Carson's career numbers (CIN only as he has gone directly downhill since)

62.9% completion%

7.1 yds/att avg

20 TD/14 INT avg

86.9 QB Rating avg

Regular Season Win/Loss 46/51 = 47%

Postseason Win/Loss 0/2 = 0% (Or 0/1 if we erase Kimo from our minds)

Andy's career numbers

61.4% completion%

7.0 yds/att avg

21 TD/12 INT avg   (current: projected 26/14 by 2013 season end)

87.1 QB Rating avg  (also Andy's 2013 QB rating of 99.0, just a shade lower than Palmer's best season (2005) with a 101.1, only one of his two seasons ever above 86.7)

Regular Season Win/Loss 25/15 = 63%

Postseason Win/Loss 0/2 = 0%

PPS - I don't see why anyone on the board would "look for you on TV" when you seem to have an agenda against the team's current QB.  Only posting these rants makes you look foolish when we all know you're still a fan of the team.  There's no need to nit pick 3 of 50 plays every week when the TEAM is winning!  Just take it down a notch and enjoy the success of the TEAM for a bit. 

I just wonder about some bengal fans.    In the current climate of the team what's wrong with saying parts of your team are the best?

Some BENGAL fans on here treat it like it's a crime.    PFF posts Bengals O-line is #1.     "oh no that's wrong"  "PFF is not accurate"  blah, blah, blah.

We can't say Andy Dalton is a elite!!!!!!!!   People might laugh at us.    Fuck that.    Bandwagon just showed up and it's time to get the kool-aid and orange/black glasses and get the fuck on.

Andy's elite!   Go vote his ass to the pro bowl and the kicker is you don't need to apologize for doing it.   Other team's fans do it all the time!

You mean like the Patriots, Packers, and Lions, who are a combined 16-7?

(16-4 if you don't count their game against us.)

Nope. Until we beat the broncos at mile high the day after beating the chiefs at arrowhead in a split squad game with our other half playing at Seattle, then we haven't beaten a good team.

I guess I should ask this...

The year Carson quit on us who else should we have drafted besides Dalton?

Cam Newton? Never really had a shot at him... Carolina was drafting him no matter what and we would not have Green...

Jake Locker? Maybe... But he has not played as well or early as Dalton

Blaine Gabbert? ... Ummmm no.

Christian Ponder? ...again... No.

Colin Kaepernick? Been playing well but people could argue not as well as Dalton.

Those are the only starters from that draft....

I remember all the crying about a QB in the early 80's that couldn't throw the deep ball. He just managed the offense, made good decisions and made clutch plays when his team needed them. He went on to win 4 Super Bowls and to the Hall of Fame.

Joe Montana.

Is Andy Dalton Joe Montana? Hell no... Not yet, but it also illustrates that the deep ball is not the end all be all of a QB.

Will Andy Dalton ever be Joe Montana? Only time will tell... But holy fuck! Enjoy the ride!!!! I remember the 90s when it was an act of god when we had a QB who threw for 200 yards and a TD.

Archived