Who do we get next?

This was Marvin today:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-seek-D-line-depth-Atkins-injury-confirmed/07852983-086d-4f05-8479-98df28a7cc75

My guess is we need two guys for D line depth or at least 1 guy on the roster and maybe fill the practice squad spot with another DT. NOBODY is going to give us what Geno did but we've gotta have somebody. Of the guys available who would you want?  I liked the Ratliff idea originally, but I hear he may be a month or so away from being able to play.  One guy that went through my mind was Matt Toeaina.  Thoughts?

I think the two likliest guys are Jay Ratliff and Marcus Spears.  Ratliff has experience with Zimmer, and Spears is a guy they showed interest in pre-draft.  

For that matter, Zimmer was the DC when Spears was drafted by Dallas.

the benefit of Spears over Ratliff is that he's in football shape and could contribute right away.  He also conveniently was just a member of the defense the Bengals play next...

I think the two likliest guys are Jay Ratliff and Marcus Spears.  Ratliff has experience with Zimmer, and Spears is a guy they showed interest in pre-draft.  

For that matter, Zimmer was the DC when Spears was drafted by Dallas.

the benefit of Spears over Ratliff is that he's in football shape and could contribute right away.  He also conveniently was just a member of the defense the Bengals play next...

I think Spears is terrible - great guy and all, but just not even serviceable, IMO. He's more of a 3-4 DE anyway. I've gotta believe there are better alternatives out there, although the trade deadline passing doesn't help.

Toe is a possibility... at least he can get some penetration on the pass rush, and he's pretty quick. Shaun Smith isn't terrible. Siona Pouha is OK... Both are big, strong guys who aren't easy to move, and represent serviceable depth. Not sure what kind of shape they're in, though.

Probably unlikely, but Richard Seymour seems like he would be a decent 3 technique.  He is probably not in playing shape and has no experience in this defense.  I guess he is wanting 5 million dollars to return though, so that probably is not happing.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1134/richard-seymour

Seymour wanted 5 mil before the season started. He didn't get it. During the course of this season he turned down an offer from the 49ers, and spurned interest from the Lions and Falcons. Its all about the money with him. Still, the guy is a future Hall-of-Famer and, judging by his last season in Oakland, he can still beeffective if used right. He would probably be more than just "decent". At worst, he would be decent. Other warm bodies on the street would probably,at best,be decent. We need more than that. Seymour is right there- a quality DE/DT looking for work and a payday. He also has the winning pedigree ML values so much. And the Bengals do have the cap space to sign him. They should at least bring him in for a visit.

One other thought... I know he was cut early in TC, but Jamaal Anderson is a pretty good run defender. He never really did much as a pass rusher, but he's probably one of the better street FAs who can play - and he's got some versatility to play along the line, too.

I was thinking: bring this Sam Montgomery in. Yeah, he's a DE, but you could then bring Gilberry and Hunt into sole DT rotations with Peko and Thompson. Not the ideal combo, but could get some decent production, and not wear everyone out.

I do think you'll see Montgomery...on the practice squad.  

I also think you're gonna see more Hunt at DT.  

I do think you'll see Montgomery...on the practice squad.  

I also think you're gonna see more Hunt at DT.

It's not unprecedented to have a guy that tall playing DT (Dave Butz was 6-7 and a load at DT for years), but given Hunt's penchant for playing too high, that would concern me... Unless it's in likely passing situations so he can rush the QB and get his hands into passing lanes.

That concerns me too.

In order to try and compensate for Geno, ideally you would need a gap DT and not a point DT like Peko. Hunt might be a penetrator, but right now he is solely bull-rush. Thompson..same. Gilberry is more a gap shooter. I am out of ideas. Although I like the Jamaal Anderson thought, as well as Seymour.

@RapSheet: #Bengals reached out to Jay Ratliff. But they're looking for immediate help, he'll need a few more weeks. Door is open tho”

Ratliff is the best player the Bengals are going to find IMO IF he's healthy.    Knows Zimmer, Zimmer knows him.   This would be best case scenario if again, Ratliff is finally healthy.   He's very much a similar player to Geno as well.   Misused in Dallas. 

This would be awesome. 

Ratliff is the best player the Bengals are going to find IMO IF he's healthy.    Knows Zimmer, Zimmer knows him.   This would be best case scenario if again, Ratliff is finally healthy.   He's very much a similar player to Geno as well.   Misused in Dallas. 

This would be awesome. 

I'd be for it, but they also need another DT in the short term with Still hurt and Ratliff not in playing shape yet.

This would be awesome. 

Yes yes and yes. Find a stop gap guy but sign Rat for playoff run

I'd be for it, but they also need another DT in the short term with Still hurt and Ratliff not in playing shape yet.

True dat.   Here's a list of available DT from the skreets.   Not sure what's out there on teams' P.S. 

Jay Ratliff
Sione Po'uha
Richard Seymour (DE in 3-4)
Marcus Spears (DE in 3-4)
Corey Williams
Justin Bannan (DE in 3-4)
Shaun Cody
Rocky Bernard
Spencer Johnson
Ron Edwards
Antonio Garay
Ty Warren (DE in 3-4)
Casey Hampton
Anthony Hargrove (DE in 3-4)
Ma'ake Kemoeatu
Antonio Dixon
Trevor Laws
Shaun Smith
Matt Toeaina
Ryan McBean
Eric Foster
Torell Troup
Ron Brace
Ogemdi Nwagbuo
Jarron Gilbert
Myron Pryor
Corvey Irvin
Frank Okam
Brian Price
Will Tukuafu
Jerrell Powe
Kyle Love
Lamar Divens
Ra’Shon “Sunny” Harris
Frank Kearse
Brian Schaefering
Andre Neblett
Jeris Pendleton
Kheeston Randle

True dat.   Here's a list of available DT from the skreets.   Not sure what's out there on teams' P.S. 

Jay Ratliff
Sione Po'uha
Richard Seymour (DE in 3-4)
Marcus Spears (DE in 3-4)
Corey Williams
Justin Bannan (DE in 3-4)
Shaun Cody
Rocky Bernard
Spencer Johnson
Ron Edwards
Antonio Garay
Ty Warren (DE in 3-4)
Casey Hampton
Anthony Hargrove (DE in 3-4)
Ma'ake Kemoeatu
Antonio Dixon
Trevor Laws
Shaun Smith
Matt Toeaina
Ryan McBean
Eric Foster
Torell Troup
Ron Brace
Ogemdi Nwagbuo
Jarron Gilbert
Myron Pryor
Corvey Irvin
Frank Okam
Brian Price
Will Tukuafu
Jerrell Powe
Kyle Love
Lamar Divens
Ra’Shon “Sunny” Harris
Frank Kearse
Brian Schaefering
Andre Neblett
Jeris Pendleton
Kheeston Randle

Big Toe is a guy we know.  Really wish we had Clint McDonald still right about now.  He's making some noise in Seattle now...

Archived