Can this offense carry the Bengals?

I have been pretty down the last few days, not really because of the loss, but more cause of the injury to Geno.

With Geno and Hall this defense is elite. Without them, I think this defense is still decent, but I dont think it is going to be as dominant as it could be. I think it is still better than a lot of other defenses that we would be going up against in the playoffs (denver, NE, Indy?). The D will be good enough to win games in the playoffs, but I dont know if it will be good enough to carry us in the playoffs.

So my question is: Can this offense carry us?

I actually thought Dalton played decently Thursday. It seems like both gruden and Aj are putting the blame on the first pick on AJ, the 3rd pick obviously on Sanu. The only INT I'd say on Andy is the one to Marvin, which shouldnt have needed to happen if not for the BS hold on Gresham.

Also, he was pressured 19 times! 

10/15 for 173 yards on 3rd downs is extremely impressive.

Even though Gio scored both TDs on run plays, Dalton still led them from down 17-3 to take a 20-17 lead with 1:24 remaining.

But am I the only one thinking this offense is still in the process of moving towards the elite? Obviously it was a sloppy game, as a lot of Thursday games are, but I think this offense is still moving in the right direction. Gio is only getting better game in and game out, as is Marvin Jones. AJ putting up great numbers again. The Oline played poorly, but im hoping that is more to do with going up against a really good Dolphins D line on 3 days rest and just having an off game.

What do you guys think? Does this offense have it in them to not only get us to the playoffs, but potentially carry us through it as well?

I'm not sure the offense can overcome the limitations of the O-line. They are inconsistent at best, incapable of running at worst. That will make things especially difficult in the playoffs.

However, when this offense is doing what it should it can't be stopped, so there is reason to hope.

I say yes, but they need to get more out of the running game than they have the first 9 games.

For as out of sync as the offense seemed at times last week, let's not lose sight of the fact that the Miami game was one bad throw away from being a 27-13 like win in all likelihood (against a good defensive club).  

I've been the same way....Sanu's last one in the flat would have made the potential game winning FG quite makable.. I think they can carry this team... This is a tough team to match up with... Receivers have to catch balls, Andy has to minimize mistakes...

After losing to Chicago we won 2 in a row, after losing to cleveland we won 4 in a row, math says that after losing to miami we should win 6 in a row right??

That would put us at 12-3 heading into the final week against baltimore. Works for me!

Sundays game is HUGE IMO. If we can beat baltimore, we will have a lock down on the division. Lose and it will be a tough final 6 game stretch with the division very much in jeopardy.

That's pessimistic math....to me the pattern says we should win 8 in a row.   

Depends. 8 in a row means we would finish 13-3 and win the first playoff game and lose in the afc championship game.

My original pattern would mean we would lose to Baltimore week 17, finish 12-4, then go on an 8 game winning streak which would mean winning the super bowl and starting 2014 4 or 5 and 0.

Either way though...

Offense has deficiencies everywhere. The key IMO is working hard enough so that they ALL don't make mistakes in the course of a game. We can overcome deficient line play when gruden keeps the offense in ryhthm and good playcalls put us in spots to pick up big yards. Can overcome third down drops when Andy doesn't throw a duck in he flats. Can overcome a boneheaded throw with good protection and more chances to get through all the reads. Can't win if all those things go wrong.

In my opinion we can still make noise as long as we're not continually shooting ourselves in the foot in so many facets of the same game..

Offense has deficiencies everywhere.

Not really.

The only thing I'd call deficient is the run blocking.

This offense actually is GREAT in many more areas than it is "deficient".

The Bengals are making a case that they belong in the NFL's top tier. The thing is, among whatever group of teams that are in that top 6 or 7 at any given time, the one that wins the Super Bowl is the one that's healthy and hot in January.

That's why a loss to a decent team, on the road, in a short week JUST DOESN'T MATTER. The recipe for the playoffs will always be to win at least 6 home games and go at least .500 on the road. If you've got the personnel to be in that top tier I talked about above, you'll have a couple of legitimate cracks at a championship. You just have to capitalize when the stars are aligned.

Look at Atlanta. Last year was their year. They were healthy, but they choked against San Francisco. Now, with Julio Jones and Roddy White out, they're ordinary. Without Tomy Gonzalez (and possibly Steven Jackson, who gets slower every week) back next year, I think their window is closed.

The injuries to Leon Hall and Geno Atkins suck. They can be overcome, though, because the Bengals are so deep at both of those positions. They can't afford to lose many more key players, though.

Even as banged up as they are, the Bengals are the best team in the AFC North, Can the offense carry them? To what? Definitely to the playoffs. A deep run in the palyoffs? There are too many variables to make that call right now. The potential is there, but again, they've got to be healthy and hot come January.

Not really.
The only thing I'd call deficient is the run blocking.
This offense actually is GREAT in many more areas than it is "deficient".
The Bengals are making a case that they belong in the NFL's top tier. The thing is, among whatever group of teams that are in that top 6 or 7 at any given time, the one that wins the Super Bowl is the one that's healthy and hot in January.
That's why a loss to a decent team, on the road, in a short week JUST DOESN'T MATTER. The recipe for the playoffs will always be to win at least 6 home games and go at least .500 on the road. If you've got the personnel to be in that top tier I talked about above, you'll have a couple of legitimate cracks at a championship. You just have to capitalize when the stars are aligned.
Look at Atlanta. Last year was their year. They were healthy, but they choked against San Francisco. Now, with Julio Jones and Roddy White out, they're ordinary. Without Tomy Gonzalez (and possibly Steven Jackson, who gets slower every week) back next year, I think their window is closed.
The injuries to Leon Hall and Geno Atkins suck. They can be overcome, though, because the Bengals are so deep at both of those positions. They can't afford to lose many more key players, though.
Even as banged up as they are, the Bengals are the best team in the AFC North, Can the offense carry them? To what? Definitely to the playoffs. A deep run in the palyoffs? There are too many variables to make that call right now. The potential is there, but again, they've got to be healthy and hot come January.

Great ass post!!

Offense has deficiencies everywhere. The key IMO is working hard enough so that they ALL don't make mistakes in the course of a game. We can overcome deficient line play when gruden keeps the offense in ryhthm and good playcalls put us in spots to pick up big yards. Can overcome third down drops when Andy doesn't throw a duck in he flats. Can overcome a boneheaded throw with good protection and more chances to get through all the reads. Can't win if all those things go wrong.

In my opinion we can still make noise as long as we're not continually shooting ourselves in the foot in so many facets of the same game..

I disagree that they have definciencies everywhere.  The oline may be one of the best pass blocking lines in the league.  They just had a bad game Thursday.  Run game they have some deficiencies though.  The receiving corp is excellent minus 2-3 drops a game.  Dalton's deficiencies are very minimal in this specific offense.  

The only thing that can stop this offense is turnovers.  They occasionally have some drops and the run game hasn't been ideal, but they are really a resilient bunch on third down and have a lot of options to get the ball too.  

I believe that this side of the ball can win us games and I think it will down the stretch. 

Offense doesn't need to carry the Bengals. Losing your best defensive tackle doesn't ruin a defense.

Not only this but even in a game where our offense agreeably had a terrible first half, they still had the ball for 40 minutes and had 28 first downs to Miami's 15. Both sides of the ball will be just fine.
Anyone see what the Jets did to the Saints. We are one of the best teams in the league. I love Atkins but losing him doesn't change that. We lose Burfict, Andy or Green the we'll talk.

I disagree that they have definciencies everywhere.  The oline may be one of the best pass blocking lines in the league.  They just had a bad game Thursday.  Run game they have some deficiencies though.  The receiving corp is excellent minus 2-3 drops a game.  Dalton's deficiencies are very minimal in this specific offense.  

I think in hindsight "deficiencies" was the wrong word.  Inconsistent in all phases would be a better description.  We can be excellent at pass blocking and then blow a simple stunt at a critical time.  WRs are studs but drop wide open 3rd down passes.  QB racks up stats spreading it around and then inexplicably throws back across his body in the red zone.

Offense doesn't need to carry the Bengals. Losing your best defensive tackle doesn't ruin a defense.

Exactly. The Bengals D is 5th right now. You guys are talking like they're bottom 5 now. I predict that they will still finish around 10th.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I'm not sure the offense can overcome the limitations of the O-line. They are inconsistent at best, incapable of running at worst. That will make things especially difficult in the playoffs.

However, when this offense is doing what it should it can't be stopped, so there is reason to hope.

35 attempts/ 163 yds for 4.7 yds/att.  Id say they rushed the ball pretty well and they didnt have Whit.  It was the Chicago game all over again in terms of fluky shit and turnovers.

35 attempts/ 163 yds for 4.7 yds/att.  Id say they rushed the ball pretty well and they didnt have Whit.  It was the Chicago game all over again in terms of fluky shit and turnovers.

you know that's skewed.  Take out Gio's spectacular run, in which the oline deserves no credit (other than forcing Gio to do it), the Bengals ypc Thursday night is 3.7ypc.

They only ran for as many yards as they did because of the # of carries they had.  They really didn't run the ball well, haven't for the majority of the season.

you know that's skewed.  Take out Gio's spectacular run, in which the oline deserves no credit (other than forcing Gio to do it), the Bengals ypc Thursday night is 3.7ypc.

They only ran for as many yards as they did because of the # of carries they had.  They really didn't run the ball well, haven't for the majority of the season.

You can go further than that. How many runs did Gio have where he literally slipped through and under guys - after the pile was pushed into his face -1 yard behind the LOS. Saying that we had a good running game against Miami bc of our YPC reeks of the worst kind of looking-at-stats-before-watching-with-my-eyes kind of football understanding.

You can go further than that. How many runs did Gio have where he literally slipped through and under guys - after the pile was pushed into his face -1 yard behind the LOS. Saying that we had a good running game against Miami bc of our YPC reeks of the worst kind of looking-at-stats-before-watching-with-my-eyes kind of football understanding.

But when you do that you can't just look at the negative plays, because it all plays into the total flow of the game… You get 3 yards on 1st and second, and boom, you're at a 3rd and 4 ….  if you do that enough, you're always setting your team of for very manageable 3rd down conversions, even though it doesn't look good in the stats.  yeah they were pushed back some, but there were times when they pushed ahead and opened a nice hole ( or just good enough) for the RB to run through.  We always want to say "well take away that run of XX yards"  but you can't really do that. The line, along with Andy did supply some good back side blocks on the run, and it was Eifert that missed the block that set that whole sequence in motion.

Archived