Incognito, holy shit

BengalBacker

No idea what to make of this.  But my gut tells me that either Martin has masterminded this scheme from the get-go to get a big payday and a release from the Phins; he is a pawn in a similar scheme and is following orders; or the situation developed in a weird way and now they are trying the cash-grab on an opportunistic basis.  I could be completely wrong, of course, but the whole thing is fishy.  There are no innocents here, including Martin himself.  

Martin, the classics scholar, went all Alcibiades on his ass.

I think Whitlock has it mostly right.

I think that Martin is using the bullying theme because it has been in the news so much. It will garner him sympathy with the public and will make his settlement easier.

I also believe that this will lead to positive changes on the hazing front. So my view on this is a cynical stagecraft taking advantage of actual issues, that will make Martin some $ (and effect his release), and also benefit the culture going forward as the nfl tries to improve its image with the public.

Certainly the majority of the public, not limited to followers of the nfl, believe him. It may all be sincere and I am misreading it. I look forward to more information coming out.

The other thing I will be interested in is learning how Martin tried to resolve this at the peer level. One of my pet peeves is People running to management or higher without trying to work it out themselves. Upper echelons never understand the whole set of circumstances and usually grandstand. Also the individuals who go over heads usually have an agenda and are out to manipulate the situation. I see this all the time in offices and that is why I am initially skeptical of Martin. Further information may convince me otherwise.

Incognito sure did set himself up to look bad though. If he didn't act in such a way he wouldn't have enabled martin and the spin machine to paint the picture they did

The other thing I will be interested in is learning how Martin tried to resolve this at the peer level. One of my pet peeves is People running to management or higher without trying to work it out themselves. Upper echelons never understand the whole set of circumstances and usually grandstand. Also the individuals who go over heads usually have an agenda and are out to manipulate the situation. I see this all the time in offices and that is why I am initially skeptical of Martin. Further information may convince me otherwise.

Incognito sure did set himself up to look bad though. If he didn't act in such a way he wouldn't have enabled martin and the spin machine to paint the picture they did

Do you see it because you are bullying people?

Do you see it because you are bullying people?

I'm going to shit in your mouth 

:ninja:

No, I see it that way because I like to be a diplomat.  I prefer to work things out on lower levels before involving the higher-ups, who have their own agenda.  It's not a good thing when "management" gets involved.  I'm not saying that it is never appropriate, because in some circumstances it is necessary.  I'm just curious what Martin did to work it out himself.  From what I've seen, things only happened after he had left the team (that's when his agent when to Ireland, if I understand correctly).  I also think Ireland's comment has been intentionally misconstrued (he didn't say "punching him" was the solution, only that it should never have reached the GM level).  

We all know those people in the office who are masters of passive-aggressive BS who run to the boss at the slightest provocation, hoping to build someone's HR file paper trail.  Oftentimes they will try and bait you.  Those are the people to beware.  I could totally imagine Martin entrapping Icognito, because let's face it, his reputation isn't sterling and he is having a hard time getting the benefit of the doubt.

I'm going to shit in your mouth 

:ninja:

No, I see it that way because I like to be a diplomat.  I prefer to work things out on lower levels before involving the higher-ups, who have their own agenda.  It's not a good thing when "management" gets involved.  I'm not saying that it is never appropriate, because in some circumstances it is necessary.  I'm just curious what Martin did to work it out himself.  From what I've seen, things only happened after he had left the team (that's when his agent when to Ireland, if I understand correctly).  I also think Ireland's comment has been intentionally misconstrued (he didn't say "punching him" was the solution, only that it should never have reached the GM level).  

We all know those people in the office who are masters of passive-aggressive BS who run to the boss at the slightest provocation, hoping to build someone's HR file paper trail.  Oftentimes they will try and bait you.  Those are the people to beware.  I could totally imagine Martin entrapping Icognito, because let's face it, his reputation isn't sterling and he is having a hard time getting the benefit of the doubt.

Strong work, Actium. Don't let Michael Weston bully you.

Archived