Coaching out of desperation when you are clearly the better team...

All valid points.  I admit I'm harder on Andy that I probably should be, but when you have high expectations for someone and they don't meet it you're more disappointed that the person that had no expectations.  After last season I lowered my expectations, and he started reeling me back in until the Miami game.  I want nothing more than for this group of Bengals to win a Superbowl and Andy has to be the pioneer of that ship.  The bottom line is Andy can play better and so can the rest of the team.  I'd like to see Andy pick it up when the rest of the offense is struggling and maybe he can be the catalyst to turn things around.  We have a lot of talent and we've seen when Andy plays at a high level this team can compete with anyone.  

Honestly I think Andy does step up when others are struggling including himself. In the Steelers game he made the scramble on 3rd and long and turned it around in the 2nd half. Andy gets no credit in the GB game but he led a quick 7 (or so) play drive in the GB game to get them within reach. He didnt get the lead as the defense did, but Andy put up a big drive in the 2nd half that was needed or else the game would have been over and not within reach. In the Miami game he assisted in leading them back (though Gio is the only one to get any credit). Gio deserves it but Andy improved his play later in that game to start the comeback. Even Sunday Andy tried. He made the big scramble to get the first down. He made some good throws to get them driving. He made a great throw to Eifert in the endzone which was really the only place to put the ball to give Eifert a chance and the defender just made a great play. He made some bad throws Sunday, but both QBs were obviously severely affected by the 40mph wind and no one thinks about that. Tom Brady sucked for 60 minutes vs our team, but everyone acts like he only played bad because of the downpour for 2 of the 60 game minutes. If the Pats win that game Brady is such a God and carries his team even though it would have been their D that did it all and he got one lucky drive. Dalton is a guy that never quits, never lets his bad play or others bad play get to him. Dalton is only in his 3rd year and it is his first year with a "complete offense" of weapons. 

Flacco got a lot better when he had 3 legit guys in the passing game to rely on. Torrey Smith, Dennis Pitta and Anquan Boldin. And if you watch the playoff games again Boldin made Flacco look great cuz Flacco threw some shit throws that Boldin saved him on. The Bengals honestly have 1 WR to rely on AJ Green, but even AJ has his deficiencies that hurt at times like the slants and drifting on routes giving the defender a chance. Gresham is extremely inconsistent. Sanu has been terrible this year. Marivn Jones shows bright spots but is far from reliable and definitely isnt a guy you can trust in traffic. The Bengals need a receiver in the mold of Boldin/Houshmanzadeh that can make the contested catches in the 8-15 yard range and they don't have anyone that can do it. 

The 14 guys that regularly play on offense all need to improve and Andy is included in that. Everyone acts like it is just Andy that is holding this team back. Every single person on the offense needs to improve because every single person has attributed to a TON of mistakes. Andy has made some bad decisions and while his overall accuracy is pretty good he goes through periods of time that the accuracy just disappears for stretches. And the OL is a joke. A running game would be wonderful but we can't block to create one and our OL always seems to fail miserably in the most important passing situations.

the rest of the offense has to start picking him up though. For as much criticism Dalton gets, much of it deserved, he's being accompanied with a 25th ranked (ypc) running game, and a WR/TE corp that I'm willing to bet is leading the league in drops.  

I agree the rest of the O needs to pick it up as well.  

I agree the rest of the O needs to pick it up as well.  

they key many want to ignore is that sometimes QB's are going to have bad days, and its up to the rest of the offense to pick him up.

Dalton completed less than 50% of his passes Sunday.  Tom Brady has done that 3 times this year, yet they are 7-2.  Why?  Tom Brady is supported by the 11th ranked (ypc) running game in the league.  Andy Dalton:  the 25th ranked running game in the league.

they key many want to ignore is that sometimes QB's are going to have bad days, and its up to the rest of the offense to pick him up.

Dalton completed less than 50% of his passes Sunday.  Tom Brady has done that 3 times this year, yet they are 7-2.  Why?  Tom Brady is supported by the 11th ranked (ypc) running game in the league.  Andy Dalton:  the 25th ranked running game in the league.

It's just not the running game.  Andy has thrown 13 interceptions this year including 9 in the 4 losses.  Brady has 6 total for the year and never more than 1 a game.

It's just not the running game.  Andy has thrown 13 interceptions this year including 9 in the 4 losses.  Brady has 6 total for the year and never more than 1 a game.

But are all of the interceptions Andy's fault?  I think at least 4 are on the receivers, maybe 5 or 6.

But are all of the interceptions Andy's fault?  I think at least 4 are on the receivers, maybe 5 or 6.

I am not blaming anyone at all.  It is stat vs stat, that all.

And if anyone wants to negate any of Andy's interceptions by blaming others that is ok, but to be valid they should do the same for Brady's.

the issue was that it was closer to 1 1/2 yards than 1/2 a yard.  I don't mind them going for it, but it was too long for a QB sneak.

^this. As Marvin would say, " I see better than I hear" and I saw at least a full yard. Running a qb sneak was not a good play call.

I am not blaming anyone at all.  It is stat vs stat, that all.

And if anyone wants to negate any of Andy's interceptions by blaming others that is ok, but to be valid they should do the same for Brady's.

Bottom line.

Too many int's regardless of who's fault it is, to many knockdowns at the line regardless of who's fault it is, too many times the defenders are getting to the receiver at the same time as the ball regardless of who's fault it is, to many drops regardless of who's fault it is and too many offensive line breakdowns regardless of who's fault it is.

Keapernick was awful. Again. As he has been much this year.

In fact, the obsession with ripping Dalton that so many on this board and in the Bengals fanbase engage in, keeps them from fully understanding just how much other quarterbacks also struggle from game to game. It is that lack of perspective that is so infuriating, frankly, when Dalton is discussed.

Flacco was fuckawful yesterday too...I wonder if the wind/defense had anything to do with that as well?

Do you really think those other QB's don't get ripped just as much on their fan boards?

Archived