Coaching out of desperation when you are clearly the better team...

Starting from the 34, I would not call a short field. I not saying the decision to go for it was a great call but it looks a lot different if Gio just goes down.

I'm conflicted on my thoughts on Gio's decision making that play. On 4th down I don't want him giving up, but you can't run back 11 yards.... unless it works.

How many AFC North battles had Marvin been involved in?

Field position!
Field position!
Field position!

QB sneak on 4th and more than a yard in the first quarter? I know the Ravens D is not what it use to be, but they aren't mincemeat either?

Then you don't punt in OT when the Ravens have not been able to move the ball all day? Are you fucking kidding me?!?!

Dalton didn't look good but neither did the strong armed Flacco....

Marvin handed a classic AFC North battle to an inferior team from poor game managent.

Right.

I completely disagree with everything you said.

Both decisions to go for it were correct.

Wrong.

Lost in all of this somewhere...

End of the first half.

We have the ball.

Time on the clock and time outs left.

Marv elects to walk around like a heard of cattle

letting time run off until we could go into the locker room.

Marv and clock management again.

At least TRY to get into filed goal range.

Its not like we did not have time and time outs.

Doing nothing guarantees nothing will happen.

But at least TRY.

All things considered, three points at the end of the half

would have made things a hell of a lot different if the second

half played out as it did.

Whatever... onward to the playoffs.

I don't blame Marvin for having 0 confidence in the offense at the end of the half. We were more likely to help the Ravens get 3 than get 3 of our own.

Starting from the 34, I would not call a short field. I not saying the decision to go for it was a great call but it looks a lot different if Gio just goes down.

It was on the 37 into the wind at the end of the field he already missed...

You bank on your defense when they have played that well all game in my book... State ting from the 10 is a huuuuuge difference than starting from the 37.

I thought receiving instead of kicking off with the wind in OT was really dumb. The Ravens hadn't been able to move the ball so they'd probably start around their 20, maybe get a first down and we'd take over around our 40, only needing a FG to win. Even if the Ravens drove down the field, they would need a TD to win. 

I thought receiving instead of kicking off with the wind in OT was really dumb. The Ravens hadn't been able to move the ball so they'd probably start around their 20, maybe get a first down and we'd take over around our 40, only needing a FG to win. Even if the Ravens drove down the field, they would need a TD to win. 

No way you do not receive the ball first in OT. One missed tackle and game could be over. Always take the ball first.

solid point, the wind may have been more important than the ball if it was really that bad.

I thought the same thing...

with the first one I think TJ is more talking about the play that was called, not the fact to go for it.

I had no issue going for it, but it was a pretty big gap to do with a QB sneak.  IMO they made the playcall before they realized how far it was.

Going for it on fourth down is rarely the right call when you hae such a good defense. I hate it when they do it. I hated it everytime they did it.

People also bitch when we aren't aggressive. The decisions were fine, but the play calls were poor.

If Marvin doesn't trust Nugent to kick long field goals in overtime, then we need a different kicker.

I had a similar thought. Down 17 going into the half if you are going to get the ball back and don't trust your QB enough to give him a chance then you need a new QB.

DVR cut off right before the 4th down Gio play.

Seems like they ran the old pitch the ball 5 yards behind the line to turn 4th and 2 into 4th and 7. Always hated that play call if that's what was called.

It was a swing pass to Gio. They had him stopped at line of scrimmage and he ran 11 yards backwards trying to make a play but got tackled.

How many AFC North battles had Marvin been involved in?

Field position!
Field position!
Field position!

QB sneak on 4th and more than a yard in the first quarter? I know the Ravens D is not what it use to be, but they aren't mincemeat either?

Then you don't punt in OT when the Ravens have not been able to move the ball all day? Are you fucking kidding me?!?!

Dalton didn't look good but neither did the strong armed Flacco....

Marvin handed a classic AFC North battle to an inferior team from poor game managent.

it's time to replace Marvin Lewis,but who do you replace him with? The Cincinnati reds got rid of dusty baker after 2 playoff seasons and no results.

I think Marvin has picked his spots well in going for it on fourth down this year, but I think he absolutely effed the first quarter one up.  There isn't much to gain from it.  There wasn't enough momentum going either way and too early in the game to really make a statement.  This defense is good.  Why not pin them?  I think he should have done the same thing in overtime.  Your defense isn't giving anything up in the run game.  Joe had already thrown two interceptions and we were getting decent pressure.  Why not try to pin them and make them work for it.  I just think thats something you have to do in a division game, but at least momentum was swinging our way in overtime.  We pretty much gift wrapped them 7 points in the first quarter.

Beating ourselves.

I don't blame Marvin for having 0 confidence in the offense at the end of the half. We were more likely to help the Ravens get 3 than get 3 of our own.

Just caught Broo on the post game show and he was saying the same thing about the end of the first half.

Miami did it to us maybe two years in a row.

Marvin had 0 confidence in the offense?

How about 0 confidence in Marvin?

Rolling over like that is simply giving up.

For all the rah rah on this board, that is simply unacceptable.

Andy had problems, the O line had problems but the coach

simply HAS to give them a chance.

If you don't try you certainly aren't going to get anything.

And "they might turn it over"... rather weak sauce imho.

Holy shit, so much fucking doublethink going on in this thread! Marvin is too aggressive for going for those 4th downs! Marvin is a pussy for not going for it at the end of the half!

Our whole offense played like dog shit and nobody is absent from the blame. Fuck. I'm pissed off too but the world ain't over. The Bengals still have a 1 game lead and we play the Ratbirds at home in Week 17. If they were going to lose one of these next two, the Ravens is a WAY better loss than the fucking Browns at home. PLUS - Tennessee AND Indy both lost today. 

This blows ass but the Bengals aren't losing out. Get it together and beat Cleveland next week.

Just caught Broo on the post game show and he was saying the same thing about the end of the first half.

Miami did it to us maybe two years in a row.

Marvin had 0 confidence in the offense?

How about 0 confidence in Marvin?

Rolling over like that is simply giving up.

For all the rah rah on this board, that is simply unacceptable.

Andy had problems, the O line had problems but the coach

simply HAS to give them a chance.

If you don't try you certainly aren't going to get anything.

And "they might turn it over"... rather weak sauce imho.

I don't blame him for taking it to the locker room. CLEARLY they had identified the adjustments they needed to make and they knew they'd be getting the ball first in the 2nd half. Better to get to the locker room and get it fixed, which they did - they moved the ball a lot better in the 2nd half. Just couldn't shake that godawful turnover bug. 

TOs are 100% the story of the Bengals season. Cleveland is the ONLY game they lose this season if not for totally unnecessary STUPID-ASS-TURNOVERS. 

It is easy not to like the calls after they failed but I didn't like either call at the time. The first one. Too early in the game. Punt and play field position. The last one. By that point, the Ravens had stuffed nearly every short run. The wind was in your face so there is no way they are going to try that FG. The Bengals defense had played very well. As a result, the Ravens offense was doing nothing. Kick the ball and play field position. You had scored the last 17 points of the game.

I don't blame Gio. Sometimes he breaks those things.

Archived