The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Ravens game 1

Disclaimer: I thought dalton played bad today and didn't play nearly as well as he could have.

But...is it just me or were our wrs and tight ends getting literally 0 separation. I felt like every play the receivers were completely blanketed and dalton had no were to throw.

They also had several drops, guys not fighting for the ball on slants, and several miscommunications. Not to mention the oline not playing great.

Once again dalton played bad, but the rest of the offense really did nothing to help him IMO.

The Good:

We are still in first place.

AJ Green

Gio (except his last carry)

The Defense

The Bad:

Marv's questionable decision on not punting and pinning the Ravens deep in their own territory in OT

Dalton throws (especially the 10-12 yard out and dig routes. He does not have the arm strenght for those throws).

Disappearance of Marvin Jones

Ugly:

Gruden's play calling

O line play

Disclaimer: I thought dalton played bad today and didn't play nearly as well as he could have.

But...is it just me or were our wrs and tight ends getting literally 0 separation. I felt like every play the receivers were completely blanketed and dalton had no were to throw.

They also had several drops, guys not fighting for the ball on slants, and several miscommunications. Not to mention the oline not playing great.

Once again dalton played bad, but the rest of the offense really did nothing to help him IMO.

Baltimore's D played fucking awesome today. They pressured the hell out of Andy and covered very well. I don't remember a single play where the receiver was wide open.

Baltimore's D played fucking awesome today. They pressured the hell out of Andy and covered very well. I don't remember a single play where the receiver was wide open.

For thr second week in a row Andy was pressured horribly I think there's some issues with the oline

Good question. Receivers not getting separation or the ball is not getting there with velocity or is being thrown too late? Many times, it seems defenders are getting to the spot the same time as the receiver. Looking off would help, pump fakes would help.

Baltimore's defense sat on everything short today.  They gave no cushion.  It was basically daring Dalton to beat them deep.  A lot of press coverage and pressure=bad time.  

Our defense did the same thing, but our offense gave our defense some terrible field position.

Once it was clear Dalton was having troubles with the wind, the Ravens just jumped our routes, not worrying about getting beaten deep.

Good question. Receivers not getting separation or the ball is not getting there with velocity or is being throw too late? Many times, it seems defenders are getting to the spot the same time as the receiver. Looking off would help, pump fakes would help.

Yep those things would help but you gotta have time back there for those things to be effective....& unfortunately the last couple of games the O-Line has not allowed time for those things.

Gruden, the Oline, Andy, and the receivers outside of AJ were all terrible today.

Last year the Ravens were in a similar situation as the bengals are now. They realized they had the weapons to win a SB on offense, but were sputtering along. Their window was closing. What did they do to set in motion events that led to the Super Bowl win? THEY FIRED THEIR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

It's time. I only wish Mike Brown (or Katie) had balls.

This is looking like another mediocre, wasted season. Paper Tigers. We have Hue- let's use him.

I apologize if someone already mentioned this, but Dan Diedork calling the blatant DPI on Sanu a 'good no call' is where I almost lost my shit. I didn't know holding the receivers arm behind his back 7-10 yards before the ball arrived was legal. Unreal.

Yeah, that pissed me off to no end.  Especially since he went on and on about Adam Jones on a similar, but not nearly as flagrant situation earlier in the game.

Also, was it just me, or did it seem like just about every shotgun snap to Dalton was waaaayyyy high.  I thought for sure one would eventually sail over his head...amonst all of the other issues.

:20: :46: :45: :2: :( :angry:

Gruden, the Oline, Andy, and the receivers outside of AJ were all terrible today.

Last year the Ravens were in a similar situation as the bengals are now. They realized they had the weapons to win a SB on offense, but were sputtering along. Their window was closing. What did they do to set in motion events that led to the Super Bowl win? THEY FIRED THEIR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

This is looking like another mediocre, wasted season. Paper Tigers. We have Hue- let's use him.

I'm not happy with Gruden right now either but Baltimore's SB win last year had everything to with Flacco absolutely catching fire. A trained monkey could have called those plays with the way he was getting it done. Compared to the rest of his career that run was complete anomaly. He sucked balls almost as much as Andy did today. If Flacco can put together that kind of 4-5 game run so can Dalton… he already did it once this year.

let's settle down a bit.  I was never more down on Gruden than I was after the Cleveland game, and I don't like the way he called today's game, but let's not get crazy.  He called 5 straight great games though, and also called good games against Chicago and Pittsburgh.  

Cleveland and Baltimore are the only games you can criticize Gruden for.  The Chicago and Miami games were on the players not executing.  

And if you haven't noticed, Ravens fans want to run the new guy out of town already too...

Well, just like if we had a high caliber head coach, if we had a high caliber offensive coordinator- we would likely be winning many more games- or at least showing up to play.

I dont think there is any disputing that at all. If they had a coach that had his players ready to play every week like Zimmer, they wouldnt be in these shit-fest quandries like they find themselves in virtually every.single.week. Its one thing when it happens a couple times a year, but when its the exception to have an exceptional game there are issues and people not going their jobs.

And I'm going to mostly refrain from even getting started on how terribly mediocre Marvin Lewis is because I know he isnt getting replaced until his contract is up- at the absolute earliest. But year in and year out his teams are mediocre, no-fire, not ready to play dingbats almost every Sunday. Its very frustrating.

Well, just like if we had a high caliber head coach, if we had a high caliber offensive coordinator- we would likely be winning many more games- or at least showing up to play.

I dont think there is any disputing that at all. If they had a coach that had his players ready to play every week like Zimmer, they wouldnt be in these shit-fest quandries like they find themselves in virtually every.single.week. Its one thing when it happens a couple times a year, but when its the exception to have an exceptional game there are issues and people not going their jobs.

And I'm going to mostly refrain from even getting started on how terribly mediocre Marvin Lewis is because I know he isnt getting replaced until his contract is up- at the absolute earliest. But year in and year out his teams are mediocre, no-fire, not ready to play dingbats almost every Sunday. Its very frustrating.

there's only so much you can put on the coordinators until you're just criticizing because you don't like them.  Sooner or later, you just have to fault the players for not executing.  There was nothing wrong with the way Gruden called the Chicago and Miami losses.  Heck, even the Cleveland game they made it into the redzone twice, inside the 25 another time, and I think Nugent also missed a FG.  

Rarely (and today may qualify one) does a coordinator simply botch an entire gameplan.  

in a game with high winds where neither team could pass downfield, 0 targets in the passing game (1 touch overall) for Andrew Hawkins is absolutely inexcusable.

This is a game that should have been a mirror image of the Buffalo game.  Power running game and a short passing game geared towards racking up yac.  

Hawkins should have had a field day today.  

in a game with high winds where neither team could pass downfield, 0 targets in the passing game (1 touch overall) for Andrew Hawkins is absolutely inexcusable.

This is a game that should have been a mirror image of the Buffalo game.  Power running game and a short passing game geared towards racking up yac.  

Hawkins should have had a field day today.  

Except Baltimore's D is better against the run than Buffalo's D.  Which kind of killed this idea.

Except Baltimore's D is better against the run than Buffalo's D.  Which kind of killed this idea.

They are slightly better, but not that much better.  Ravens are 5th, but Buffalo is still 11th (not sure what each were coming into the game).  

And that still doesn't change the lack of a short passing game.  WR Screens, slants, end arounds, reverses, jet screens. 0 targets for Andrew Hawkins, who can turn a 1 yard pass into a 25yd gain, is just horrible.

wow they just showed Gio's overtime swing pass, I don't think a single Bengals' player made a block.  I get that it was a screen of sorts, but if even half the offense makes a block, Gio probably converts that either initially going right, or when he cuts back like he did in MIami.  

Yep oline was horrible yesterday

Yep oline was horrible yesterday

it has been a common theme in 3 of the 4 losses.  Dalton certainly deserves the lionshare of the blame, but its just not realistic to expect him to overcome not just the oline, the lack of a consistent running game, numerous drops, a curious gameplan, and Marvin's unusual abandonement of winning the field position battle.  

Good

- Rey was terrific, and Tez was excellent as well

- I thought the DEs played well vs. both run and pass, the the interior of the DL was stout, too. Tremendous run defense all day. 

- AJ

- Eifert YAC

Bad

- Andy 

- WRs not named AJ - drops, the interception to Marvin Jones that should have been a catch

- OL - couldn't get a lot of yards on early downs, which made 3rd down a real challenge all game

- STs were outplayed today - the kicking game wasn't good, and Tate (especially on punt returns) had very little room to run

- Dropped interceptions, especially the one Crocker dropped… it wasn't easy, but still very catchable

Ugly

- Gio's last run

- Penalities killed them

- Dierdorf's "expert" analysis

Archived