Shopping For A Puter for My Son.

Bengal Cat

I'd like to keep it under a grand.

You can get a kick-ass PC built and ready to go off E-Bay for that price, depending on whether you require an OS to be installed, what the hardware is, whether you have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc for it already. Your price will vary. Also check out Tom's hardware and new egg.

How old is your son ?  When my sons were younger (elementary going into high school) I just went and built one from spare parts lying around and that worked for them at the time.  Later, I ended up getting a higher priced one for college that could perform a variety of tasks.

I guess you might be looking for a desktop.  If so do you prefer a windows system or OTHER ?  Shop around and you'll find one suitable for a kid fairly easy but shopping for one entering college is a little more difficult ( ie...  more expensive ).  Now, if your kid likes to eat over his or her computer or take all the keys out of the keyboard, then you will have to ask Bung how to protect your computer...  Look for a package deal ( accessories, monitor, keyboard, etc... ) and you will probably see under 600 dollars for a computer that fits your needs and your kids needs.  Eyeball the sales paper and call ahead to make sure they have them in stock before coming all the way out to the store to purchase.

You can get a kick-ass PC built and ready to go off E-Bay for that price, depending on whether you require an OS to be installed, what the hardware is, whether you have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc for it already. Your price will vary. Also check out Tom's hardware and new egg.

I'm getting him an HDTV to use as a monitor and so he can play his game systems on it. So I'm just mainly looking for the tower

Did you misspell putter?

LeadtopPutter401.jpg

LOL

How old is your son ?  When my sons were younger (elementary going into high school) I just went and built one from spare parts lying around and that worked for them at the time.  Later, I ended up getting a higher priced one for college that could perform a variety of tasks.

I guess you might be looking for a desktop.  If so do you prefer a windows system or OTHER ?  Shop around and you'll find one suitable for a kid fairly easy but shopping for one entering college is a little more difficult ( ie...  more expensive ).  Now, if your kid likes to eat over his or her computer or take all the keys out of the keyboard, then you will have to ask Bung how to protect your computer...  Look for a package deal ( accessories, monitor, keyboard, etc... ) and you will probably see under 600 dollars for a computer that fits your needs and your kids needs.  Eyeball the sales paper and call ahead to make sure they have them in stock before coming all the way out to the store to purchase.

He's only 6 but he can navigate around the net as good as I can. Like I said earlier, gaming and youtube are his big things right now. I am looking for a desktop and yes he eats over the computer. You should see some of the things that came out of my keyboard when I cleaned it.....lol.

Im going to come out of right field here, since we are talking about a younger child, "gaming" means something different than bunghole is thinking of, is he just playing games onine, or is he looking to be playing call of duty in crazy graphics mode?

if watching youtube videos and playing online games is all you are looking for....

a Mac mini is a great option for that age group, they are $599, you wont ahve to worry about them infecting it non stop with spyware and malware, and it will play any videos and online web based games his heart desires.

you can also play games from the app store on them now... may be perfect for the age range and last forever until he upgrades to console or high end computer games in a few years..

The $599 price is just for the computer, monitor would be $200 for a good size, and a keyboard and mouse is super cheap...

the nice thing about the mini is you can tuck it away in a safe place, so the worst thing he can ruin is the keyboard or mouse, which are potentially $5-10 replacement items...

just a thought...

secendary... have you thought of just getting him an ipad?

my kids both got ipad minis last xmas and basically ahve no need for the computer, they are now 6 and 8 years old. they can play anything from spiderman lego star wars and angry birds to full seasons of NBA2k13 and madden 25....  and itunes gift cards to buy games make easy and awesome stocking stuffers and birthday presents from friends and relatives..

Im going to come out of right field here, since we are talking about a younger child, "gaming" means something different than bunghole is thinking of, is he just playing games onine, or is he looking to be playing call of duty in crazy graphics mode?

if watching youtube videos and playing online games is all you are looking for....

a Mac mini is a great option for that age group, they are $599, you wont ahve to worry about them infecting it non stop with spyware and malware, and it will play any videos and online web based games his heart desires.

you can also play games from the app store on them now... may be perfect for the age range and last forever until he upgrades to console or high end computer games in a few years..

The $599 price is just for the computer, monitor would be $200 for a good size, and a keyboard and mouse is super cheap...

the nice thing about the mini is you can tuck it away in a safe place, so the worst thing he can ruin is the keyboard or mouse, which are potentially $5-10 replacement items...

just a thought...

secendary... have you thought of just getting him an ipad?

my kids both got ipad minis last xmas and basically ahve no need for the computer, they are now 6 and 8 years old. they can play anything from spiderman lego star wars and angry birds to full seasons of NBA2k13 and madden 25....  and itunes gift cards to buy games make easy and awesome stocking stuffers and birthday presents from friends and relatives..

i couldn't possibly recomend the mac mini enough 

love that thing...cheap, reliable, and a good enough computer for 99.999% of what the average Joe uses a computer for

The Mac Mini is a great computer for the money so you can't go wrong there.

If you go the Windows route I would recommend shopping on Newegg or Amazon or the manufacturer site for the best price.  As for vendor preference, I recommend in order:

Lenovo

Asus

Sony

Toshiba (if you go the laptop route)

Acer

Dell (not for laptops though, their trackpads suck)

HP

Shit, if you go for a desktop, this one from Lenovo comes with an i7 processor and 16 GB of memory for $800.

I see that thing has an integrated graphics chip...are they doing anything better with those things these days or are they still the suck for gaming?

Unless it's a GPU you're always going to get better performance out of a dedicated video card...

The Mac Mini is a great computer for the money so you can't go wrong there.

If you go the Windows route I would recommend shopping on Newegg or Amazon or the manufacturer site for the best price.  As for vendor preference, I recommend in order:

Lenovo

This can't be said enough. Just good machines.  Asus too

full seasons of NBA2k13 and madden 25.... 

How's the mobile for NBA2k13? Reviews mentioned stuff like every opponent shooting 80% free throws & bs like that.  That'd get old quick.

I thought Madden 25 sucked, like pretty much every other F2P game.  There's another iPad game called Pro Football Strategy that sounds better, though not so much for an 8-year old necessarily.

How's the mobile for NBA2k13? Reviews mentioned stuff like every opponent shooting 80% free throws & bs like that.  That'd get old quick.

I thought Madden 25 sucked, like pretty much every other F2P game.  There's another iPad game called Pro Football Strategy that sounds better, though not so much for an 8-year old necessarily.

thats the key, to the 6 and 8 yr old, they are all awesome games...  i prefer nba jam style games on an ipad, since there arent exactly a bunch of controls to use, arcade style are the best for my tastes..

Archived