Hollywood out of ideas?

Go Skins

I don't see Hollywood as geared towards a true story based movie lately.  I do enjoy special effects but I also enjoy hearing and following an interesting story line.

Banned books are a popular place to start.  In regards to children's stories, Caldecott or Newbery award winners ( even the honorary mentioned books ) are another source of inspiration.  Although the picking are kind of slim since a lot of the books have already been made into somewhat popular movies that would be hard to replicate ( as noted in the above post ).

One book that had been converted into a movie ( quite some time ago ) was a book called Madame Bovary.  This type of idea could work with an updated storyline taken from recent history and not something so far back in time.  ...or Farenheit 451, Grapes of Wrath set in modern times.

I like fictitious stories about historic people and their secret, magical or fairy tale lives... like Abraham Lincoln being a vampire hunter. Cool story but the movie wasn't very good. It could have been way better. Lincoln goes from a normal guy to a bad ass vampire butcher in like a 30 second montage early in the movie.

Ben Franklin and other historic people hiding treasures in National Treasure... which may or may not be true, I'm sure something was hid, new world, shit coming over here left and right, plenty of things to keep to yourself I'm sure. Whatever it was, it was entertaining as heck.

I think the witch hunts up in Salem would make for a freaking great movie. Make some real witches, or make some famous group of people who are supposed to be witch hunters, make them the witches, whatever. 

I like fictitious stories about historic people and their secret, magical or fairy tale lives... like Abraham Lincoln being a vampire hunter. Cool story but the movie wasn't very good. It could have been way better. Lincoln goes from a normal guy to a bad ass vampire butcher in like a 30 second montage early in the movie.

Ben Franklin and other historic people hiding treasures in National Treasure... which may or may not be true, I'm sure something was hid, new world, shit coming over here left and right, plenty of things to keep to yourself I'm sure. Whatever it was, it was entertaining as heck.

I think the witch hunts up in Salem would make for a freaking great movie. Make some real witches, or make some famous group of people who are supposed to be witch hunters, make them the witches, whatever. 

I got ya.  I love the National Treasure movies for that very reason.

I love when movies tie themselves into historical moments, even sci-fi ones that "recreate" that history at times.  

Another good example is XMen: First Class, which climaxes during the Bay of Pigs incident.  

I think it's a big part of why I'm really enjoying Sleepy Hollow.

like Abraham Lincoln being a vampire hunter. Cool story but the movie wasn't very good. It could have been way better. Lincoln goes from a normal guy to a bad ass vampire butcher in like a 30 second montage early in the movie.

The book is so very, very good and doesn't fall into the movie trap of "instantly grabbing your audience" like you describe. I totally recommend it. It's presented in a very different way and is much more detailed.

The book is so very, very good and doesn't fall into the movie trap of "instantly grabbing your audience" like you describe. I totally recommend it. It's presented in a very different way and is much more detailed.

Thanks dude but I never read. I'll read my Bible once in about 3-4 weeks for about 20 minutes. I read your guys' posts... better than nothing.

Last book I read... junior high. Cliffnotes/sparknotes got me through high school and college.

I got ya.  I love the National Treasure movies for that very reason.

I love when movies tie themselves into historical moments, even sci-fi ones that "recreate" that history at times.  

Another good example is XMen: First Class, which climaxes during the Bay of Pigs incident.  

I think it's a big part of why I'm really enjoying Sleepy Hollow.

I'd question the timing of this except Singer mentioned the idea of it right after the last film.  

Not sure if this makes it into the next XMen movie, but just in case:

[spoiler]

http://www.thebentbullet.com

long story short, Magneto is responsible for the JFK assination.  [/spoiler]

Brilliant viral movie marketing either way.

• 4 months later...

http://www.25moments.com/

• 1 year later...

http://tvline.com/2015/07/01/fatal-attraction-tv-series-fox/

The 1987 thriller about a Manhattan attorney (Douglas) and his lunatic mistress (Close) is being adapted as an event series for Fox, our sister site Deadline reports.

David Madden, Fox’s current President of Entertainment, developed the original film during his days as a Paramount executive. This hour-long TV version, expected to explore the same concept, is being written and executive-produced by Mad Men‘s Maria and Andre Jacquemetton.

Not to mention another Terminator movie (which I plan to see).

The sad thing is I have read quite a few books that I would love to see made into movies.

I'd love to see a Dragon Prince movie done well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/18/cant-hardly-wait-reunion-movie-ethan-embry?hootPostID=d2ebece9efaf502ac5f06fa499689f82

Jennifer Love Hewitt isn’t the only one who wants to go back to high school – after the actress said she’d be down for a Can’t Hardly Wait reunion movie, co-star Ethan Embry chimed in saying he’d be game as well.

“Of course, I would be thrilled to work with any of the players involved again,” he said in a statement provided to The Huffington Post. “Jennifer, Peter [Facinelli], Seth [Green], working with them back then, we were so young – it was a tremendous experience at such a wonderful time in my career, that if all the stars aligned, I would be happy to entertain that possibility.” 

But, he added, nothing is currently in the works. “Right now it is just a hypothetical, so here’s to dreaming,” he said.

• 1 month later...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/38959/-taken-to-become-an-nbc-tv-series?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

NBC has given a straight-to-series order for "Taken," a TV series based on the Liam Neeson-led action thriller franchise which Universal Television and EuropaCorp will produce.

There is no writer or show runner attached to the reboot at this point, though a search is underway. What's also undetermined is the number of episodes that the prequel will feature.

The project will reportedly serve as a prequel to the films - showing how Neeson's character Bryan Mills honed his skills as a CIA operative.

• 4 weeks later...

To answer the question. Yes, Hollywood has long since been out of ideas.
Everything is rehash or derivative. And the sheeple swallow it whole.
At least the networks are offering fresh, well-made material still. The Knick starts again tonight - so good.

Tales of Halloween is available as well starting tonight.

• 7 months later...

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/691383-mary-poppins-returns

Walt Disney Pictures has officially announced that Golden Globe Award winner Emily Blunt (Into the Woods, the upcoming Girl on the Train) and Emmy, Grammy, Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winner Lin-Manuel Miranda (“Hamilton,” “In the Heights”) are set to star in Mary Poppins Returns, a sequel to the studio’s 1964 classic, Mary Poppins, which will be released on December 25, 2018.

Reuniting the director and producing team behind Disney’s hit film musical Into the Woods, the film will be directed by Oscar nominee, Emmy and DGA Award winner Rob Marshall and produced by Marshall, Emmy winner and Golden Globe nominee John DeLuca and Oscar, Emmy and Tony Award nominee and Golden Globe winner Marc Platt. The screenplay will be written by Oscar nominee David Magee based on The Mary Poppins Stories by P.L. Travers, with Oscar nominee and Tony Award winner Marc Shaiman composing an all-new score and Shaiman and Emmy nominee and Tony Award winner Scott Wittman writing original songs.

Archived