400-Pound High School Player Largest Running Back In Nation

Numbers

BZKDgShCEAAoDaa.jpg

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iohi3qH5gLY[/media]

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/11/18/400-pound-high-school-player-largest-running-back-in-nation/

400-Pound High School Player Largest Running Back In Nation

Tony Picard, the 6-foot-4-inch, 400-pound senior running back for White Swan High School in Yakima, is the biggest running back in the nation, according to the Northwest Prep Report.

Picard – who is part Umatilla-Nez Perce Indian, helped lead White Swan to a 9-1 regular season record and a playoff berth, but they lost in the opening round to Colfax High School, 22-14.

“It’s just not going to be as much fun,” head coach Andrew Bush told Indian Country Today Media Network about Picard not being on the team next year. “When we come out of the locker room and watch the other team’s heads; they’ll [no longer] turn and look at what they’re going to have to tackle.”

Picard was converted from offensive lineman to running back after Bush realized how agile he was. Bush said it takes up to five players to bring down Picard.

“Most teams will sacrifice five guys to stop him: four linemen and a middle linebacker. That leaves three guys on each side to stop the rest of our team,” Bush told Indian Country. “Everything else opens up: our outside running, our play action, and our entire passing game. We average about 450 yards as a team offensively.”

Picard is hoping to take his game to the college level.

“I want to play college football, it is my dream,” Picard told Northwest Prep Report. “I hope I can go the next level.”

Picard told the New York Post that he has talked to college coaches from Idaho, Eastern Oregon and Central Washington, but Bush believes he can play at the next level as a lineman.

“Chances are he’ll be recruited as a lineman, but there’s always the chance that he’ll get his chance to carry the ball on those short touchdown runs,” Bush told Indian Country. “It’s tough to stop 400 pounds.”

Picard reportedly gained over 700 yards and rushed for 15 touchdowns this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived