Bypassing internet block at work.....

GoBengals

So we have a firewall at work, but it only blocks IE. Previously since I was a technician I could install programs so I would install a random browser like avant, pale moon, lunascape, etc as they looked for and blocked Firefox and chrome.

Worked great for the last eight years.

Now we are windows 7 enterprise. Not new machines with i5 and 8gb ram and such. Which is great.... However I can no longer install any exe file of any kind.

I looked into Firefox portable but I don't think I did it properly but also fear the app would be blocked, even from a usb drive, from launching...

I don't get paid enough to work all day...

Thoughts? Help of any kind is welcome!

So we have a firewall at work, but it only blocks IE. Previously since I was a technician I could install programs so I would install a random browser like avant, pale moon, lunascape, etc as they looked for and blocked Firefox and chrome.

Worked great for the last eight years.

Now we are windows 7 enterprise. Not new machines with i5 and 8gb ram and such. Which is great.... However I can no longer install any exe file of any kind.

I looked into Firefox portable but I don't think I did it properly but also fear the app would be blocked, even from a usb drive, from launching...

I don't get paid enough to work all day...

Thoughts? Help of any kind is welcome!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...."Open DNS....BLOCKED!"

:lol:

Oddly enough, my (likely same or similar software at my work) doesn't block this website, which is grand.

• 2 weeks later...

How are they blocking you exactly?  Do they have a proxy setup in IE?  

exactly, its based on user profile, if my boss logs in he has full access, with my login i have minimal. I can get to a few sites, but they have full categories blocked, like shopping, sports, forums, jokes/humer, etc...

Did you try this one?

yes, however i have limited access to PC's that ARENT locked down, so i was using a 7 yr old dell latitude with win XP, and installed it on a microSD card stuck in a USB card reader..

when i installed it it only popped up with the portable apps.exe file and the firefox, opera, etc .exe files..

all of which were blocked by my work machine.

there were some errors in the install so i have a feeling it was exactly a legitimate working portable apps install, and i only have macs at home... so i need to give it a try again when i get some time, maybe from my dad or sisters computers...

on a real USB drive..

i had USB cruzer usb drives before that allowed app installs, would that be helpful at all? or is the work mahcine going to block that too?

im sure i have one around home somewhere...

My students use this. http://ultrasurf.us/ You did say some .exe don't work. And I do believe it is an executable. But it's a free VPN service basically. 

Could you use a Tor browser? I'm not sure how that works, but I get the vibe that it is self tunneling. 

What about some sort of AV switch for the monitor. Bring your laptop in, mirror it you your monitor, switch between monitor personal computer and work computer based on what you are trying to do. 

My students use this. http://ultrasurf.us/ You did say some .exe don't work. And I do believe it is an executable. But it's a free VPN service basically. 

Could you use a Tor browser? I'm not sure how that works, but I get the vibe that it is self tunneling. 

What about some sort of AV switch for the monitor. Bring your laptop in, mirror it you your monitor, switch between monitor personal computer and work computer based on what you are trying to do. 

thanks, i will check into those options.

its funny, they are losing more of my paid time as i try to find workarounds than they would be letting me install a browser on the machine...

i thought about the monitor switch, i then would have the issue of the keyboard and mouse, so i would need to find a multi in one out usb hub that both my work and personal machine plug into and output both to just the sole monitor, keyboard and mouse... which exists but is a cost and sort of a hassle.. as i would ahve to setup daily...

Archived