Tomlin fined

Cat

Mildly amusing - no chance they will actually take any draft picks though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1872503-mike-tomlin-fined-100000-for-sideline-gaffe-vs-ravens?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin may have successfully slowed down Baltimore Ravens kick returner Jacoby Jones by essentially stepping on the field Thanksgiving night, but the former Super Bowl winner paid the price to the tune of $100,000, according to an official release from the league.

The coach could also cost his team a draft pick with his actions: 

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin has been fined $100,000 for interfering with a play in progress during last Thursday night’s game against the Baltimore Ravens. In addition, because the conduct affected a play on the field, a modification or forfeiture of draft choices will be considered after the final order of the 2014 draft has been determined.

The discipline was issued by NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson.

With 6:26 remaining in the third quarter, Baltimore’s Jacoby Jones returned a kickoff 73 yards to the Pittsburgh 27. During the return, Tomlin – in violation of Rule 13, Section 1, Article 4 of the NFL Rule Book – was in the restricted white border that surrounds the playing field and stepped foot onto the playing field during the play.

Tomlin’s positioning in the white border during play should have resulted in a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Tomlin released a statement upon receiving the news of his punishment, per Burt Lauten of Steelers.com:

Mike Tomlin (1/3): As I stated yesterday, I take full responsibility for my actions, and I apologize for causing negative attention…(more)

— Burt Lauten (@SteelersPRBurt) December 4, 2013

Tomlin cont (2/3): to the Pittsburgh Steelers organization. I accept the penalty that I received. (more)

Tomlin cont (3/3): I will no longer address this issue as I am preparing for an important game this Sunday against the Miami Dolphins.

There was an NFL.com follow-up article about how they are "unlikely" to lose a draft pick, and how worried the Stoolers were about the possibility.  So basically a back-channel way for the NFL to tell them not to lose any sleep over it.

It really is amazing how people still fall for this PR bullshit anymore.

You know it's carefully orchestrated - "we'll throw it out there that they "COULD" lose a draft pick at the beginning" - and then they never have to answer why the didn't. 

Archived