did a small TV upgrade......

before black friday, amazon had this tv for $997, FINALLY got them to price match panasonic.com discount for $899. free shipping, no tax of course..

the old one was a 46" Samsung LED, kind of a big-ish black border.

new one is a 58" Panasonic LED, with a very small black metal border.

doesnt feel like as big of an upgrade as i thought since the overall size is kinda close.. but i am working with a lot more screen size now..

cant wait to watch some football on it sunday.

[attachment=1275:tvupgrade.jpg]

Hope it works well for you. Had a nightmare experience with a Panasonic plasma this year. Most beautiful picture I've ever seen, but only worked for 10 of the 22 weeks we owned it. In those other 12 weeks, I had 6 visits from the repair guy. He replaced 7 boards. He spent hours each visit with tech support. I spent over 10 hours on the phone with outsourced customer support, who would pass me around to each other any time I asked to speak to their superior... And they would lie about it until I proved they were lying, then would say they'd never said it at all.... HUGELY frustrating.

In the end, I had to be an asshole to the nice, third party repair guy because I could never reach anyone who actually received a W-2 from Panasonic. It then took several more weeks to receive a refund because the regional rep got fired and left my case to slip through the cracks...

Beautiful picture, though...

very similar it was best buys magical version of that one, had a different model number that was long as hell just for best buy...like 4-5 years ago.

I see....looks just like my tv.  I need to upgrade :(   Mine is about 4 yrs old.   Might wait until I can buy an UltraHD tv. 

small upgrade, but taking the thick boarders away makes it look a million times better..

looks very nice man.

Agree.  The border around the Samsung is much too thick for my liking (that's not what she said).  Panasonic looks slick.  They do have beautiful pictures, that's for sure. 

I wanted badly to get one of those ultra slim Samsung LED smart TVs but with not having a job, it's kinda hard to justify hahaha.   

Hope it works well for you. Had a nightmare experience with a Panasonic plasma this year. Most beautiful picture I've ever seen, but only worked for 10 of the 22 weeks we owned it. In those other 12 weeks, I had 6 visits from the repair guy. He replaced 7 boards. He spent hours each visit with tech support. I spent over 10 hours on the phone with outsourced customer support, who would pass me around to each other any time I asked to speak to their superior... And they would lie about it until I proved they were lying, then would say they'd never said it at all.... HUGELY frustrating.

In the end, I had to be an asshole to the nice, third party repair guy because I could never reach anyone who actually received a W-2 from Panasonic. It then took several more weeks to receive a refund because the regional rep got fired and left my case to slip through the cracks...

Beautiful picture, though...

bummer, i have the 42" version of my same tv i just got in the bedroom, had for several months now, its been great. your experience mirrors what i had with my dads 50" samsung LED, several power mother boards and many calls, they eventually got a board that worked forever and gave a small rebate/refund for the hassles.

i had similar experiences with their care, though during the day, regular business hours i got perfect english speaking folks, at night it was outsourced and useless...

i also get a discount at panasonic from work, so that helps slightly...

i am also not against ordering another one from amazon and returning the broken one as if the new one showed up broken...

but the 42" has been amazing... which made me get this one...

Very nice. I hate my thick black border on my Samsung, especially in my new house (picture is a few months old right after we moved in, wires are gone)

i love that you can get a bigger tv into a smaller space with the "borderless"

i think i set my front surround speakers so i could do a 60" tv. the 46 was a big upgrade at the time, and thought id never want bigger than 60", ha, now with the borderless i can fit a 70" in the space... if i ever need bigger than a 70" in my family room there is going to have to be some dry wall repair done....

for the basement i think i set it up so i can do as big as a 80" if its "borderless"... and those rooms are literally identical, so i think im set...

if im throwing cash around for 80+" tv's i will probably go get a bigger house...

as im not even close to affording anything sweet like that currently.

Nice lookin tv...I got pretty lucky on black friday...I scored a 51 inch Samsung Plasma from HH Gregg. Only $530. Plus they included a nice sound bar to go with it. 

sweet deal..

Tech is crazy like that.

I have a 52" Samsung LCD that is 5 years old now or so.. Paid a little over $2000 for it..... :31:

sweet deal..

Tech is crazy like that.

I have a 52" Samsung LCD that is 5 years old now or so.. Paid a little over $2000 for it..... :31:

I know.....pisses me off too.  I paid $1800 for my TV 4 yrs ago, a Samsung LCD.   For that jack these days, I could get an UltraHD TV, some cocaine and a few hookers whose ass I could snort it off of, like Neil Patrick Harris.  

sweet deal..

Tech is crazy like that.

It is a bit sickening. I paid $2k for a 42" Phillips plasma TV back in early 2006, and then in late 2009 it died on me, so I then paid $1189 for a 52" Samsung LCD in late 2009. In late 2011, I paid $700 for an LG LED 3D.

$4k buys a lot of TV nowadays!

just found out today, that plasma TV's have a very short life span in high altitude. so i guess i wont be getting one anytimes soon, they are rated for 7500 feet, but i am over 6k feet at my house and they work, but life is shorter, over 7500 feet, they buzz loudly and have other heating issues too...

seems crazy..

something to do with the pressure of the elements in the plasma vs the pressure outside the plasma display...

Archived