Rob Ford

Go Skins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/rob-ford-sports-junkies-interview-toronto-mayor-makes-news-on-dc-sports-radio-show/2013/12/05/d6665008-5dd2-11e3-bc56-c6ca94801fac_story.html

Ford’s staff members — who specified that the mayor wanted to make his picks against the point spread — anticipated a two- or three-minute segment. It wound up lasting nearly 24, plowing through a scheduled commercial break. Bishop, operating on no sleep, took charge of the political questions, which nearly derailed the conversation before Ford had even weighed in on the Texans-Jaguars matchup.

“Number one, that’s an outright lie,” Ford said, of the suggestion he had offered money and a car for the video. “And number two, you can talk to my lawyers about it. But I’m here to talk football, guys, so if you want to talk football, talk football.”

So they did. They talked about the Redskins name (“I think everything’s fine and I’d just stick with the name”) and Griffin’s knee (“They should get him healed up.”). They talked about Auburn’s miraculous win over Alabama, the weekly NFL pool in Ford’s office, and some of his betting philosophies (he doesn’t like dome teams playing in the cold).

Meanwhile, the Canadian media establishment — which Ford has largely bypassed and ignored twice Thursday morning despite shouted questions — continued to listen in. CP24, Toronto’s all-news station, went live with the beginning of the interview and then re-aired sound bites all morning as political reporters live-tweeted highlights.

“Everyone was glued to it, and we’re used to doing that,” Daniel Dale, the acting city hall bureau chief for the Toronto Star, said. “It was mostly softballs, but they did ask him that one important question that he hasn’t answered from us yet. Being a political reporter, I wish they had asked him two or three more. But given that they’re called the Sports Junkies, and given that he just wanted to make his damn NFL picks, I’ll take that piece of news happily.”

By the end of the segment, the five men were fast friends. They agreed Ford would come back to make weekly picks against the Junkies, with chicken wings as possible stakes. He invited them to do a show live from his office. They accepted and plan to follow through.

This guy is a train wreck, but it is amusing to watch.

Yeah.That he has been able to hold on as long as he has in the face of all these allegations is actually somewhat impressive. Marion Barry needed YEARS to recover his image from smoking crack to get elected again.....

Archived