Interesting Table on Sacks from Football Outsiders

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2013/under-pressure-sacks-confusion

They divide sacks into

Blown Blocks - man gets beat,

Confusion - confusion on who to block

Coverage - QB holds ball, nobody open

We have

Blown Blocks:  12  46.2 %

Confustion:      8   30.8%

Coverage        6   23.1%

So even though we have a relatively low number of sacks, we might be able to do better if we reduce the confusion level.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2013/under-pressure-sacks-confusion

They divide sacks into

Blown Blocks - man gets beat,

Confusion - confusion on who to block

Coverage - QB holds ball, nobody open

We have

Blown Blocks:  12  46.2 %

Confustion:      8   30.8%

Coverage        6   23.1%

So even though we have a relatively low number of sacks, we might be able to do better if we reduce the confusion level.

I think this tool is useful in that it allows you to compare ratios across the other teams in the league that have also been analyzed.  Making the HUGE assumption that they are grading all of these in the same way across the league (I know, I know...) there are some things you can draw from it.  For example, the percentage of blown blocks range from 35.5% (SF) to an eye-popping 93.3% (Den).  What's interesting is that some teams have zero sacks from "confusion" (including Denver, which is why all but one of their sacks are coming on getting beat).

We are 6th worse in the league on that count, which I'm guessing is why you focused on it.

It reflects what I see, which is that on many of our sacks one of our blockers is blocking no one, or looking back toward the man he realizes - all to late - is his while the QB goes down.  It suggests we have an inordinate number of sacks from bad alignments and blown coverage calls IMO.

Seems like we had a rash of poorly picking up blitzing secondary players earlier in the year. I'm guessing most of these ended up in the confusion column. Haven't noticed it nearly as much lately.

yea corner blitzes were an issue early in the season, though 2 of those sacks are on Gio.

IMO, its probably a little difficult for an outside entity to be able to distinguish between a blown block or confusion, so those numbers are probably worth taking with a grain of salt. 

Overall, the Oline has been pretty good.  That can't be denied.  They had some hiccups (ie the first cleveland game and the miami game), but

against Chicago Dalton was only touched once

no sacks against Pittsburgh

1 sack against Detroit, who has one of the top DL's.

only sack against the Jets was on Dalton running out of bounds

no sacks against Cleveland in the 2nd game

no sacks against San Diego

Archived