Take a deep breath

Ok...I am just as pissed as any one here about that show last night. It's embarrassing, I get it. I have to push it out of my mind and hopefully that the team will wake the fuck up and get ready to play this last stretch. If the rats lose tonight nothing lost nothing gained. Hopefully, this is a wake up call and not a sign of things to come. Clean up the tackling and special team play and we should be fine....I hope

All things considered, I sort of knew last night would happen. Not because "it's the Bengals", but just because certain teams and certain locations at certain times of the year, can be a bugaboo. "Having your number" comes to mind.

Even in the nirvana year of 1988, our team lost badly in Houston the second to last game. I mean, played completely like crap and totally outplayed. The Bengals never played well in Houston, so the combination of team/location/time of year always seemed to kill us down there.

I am resigned that we will never have the Stealers number, but as long as we get into the dance and they don't each year, I'll live with it.    

I have to put it into perspective for myself as that's the only way to move on from the nightmare that occurred last night.  The goal for this team and the fans is to get to the playoffs and make a run at the super bowl.  As wonderful, and i do mean wonderful, as it would have been to silence those bastards last night with a win over Pittsburgh, means nothing in the larger scale.  Yes, they could have pulled into the two seed, yes they would have been in a better position to succeed in the playoffs, but in the end they are going to have to win games.  No matter where they are played.  Last i checked, the super bowl will not be played in Cincinnati.  Sure the field would be neutral, but its not the same.  Lets just hope for the best tonight which is Ravens loss and they a defeat of the Vikings next week and its on.  Who knows, there are still two weeks left of the season, they might even catch some unexpected breaks along the way.  All is not lost!

Only reason, I concern is because I think this loss impacts the teams ultimate goal of getting to the SB.  Not moving upto the #2 seed was a huge opportunity loss.  The pats still have to go to Baltimore so there is a decent chance they can lose again, giving the bengals an opportunity to redeem the #2 slot. 

The bad side is that could setup a potential week 17 division championship game, but win your games and we are great at home.  #2 is huge especially if someone can knock off Denver (KC) and have the path to the SB go through Cincinnati. 

I'm a homer.  I love my Bengals.  I'll get over it.  But....

I'm still pissed!!!!   I don't care that we lost, it was how we lost that just gets me frustrated and pissed.  We were beat up by the schoolyard bullies and looked like scared little kids.  Choked in primetime again.  Visions of memories past.  Against the fukin' Stealers no less.  I fukin' hate the Stealers and if we win no other games each year, I just want to beat them.  Lack of preparation?  Coaching?  Player Intimidation?  Like one of the post-game commentators said, the Bengals still aren't mentally tough/mature enough to win games like these.

I feel better now, thanks.

I'm a homer.  I love my Bengals.  I'll get over it.  But....

I'm still pissed!!!!   I don't care that we lost, it was how we lost that just gets me frustrated and pissed.  We were beat up by the schoolyard bullies and looked like scared little kids.  Choked in primetime again.  Visions of memories past.  Against the fukin' Stealers no less.  I fukin' hate the Stealers and if we win no other games each year, I just want to beat them.  Lack of preparation?  Coaching?  Player Intimidation?  Like one of the post-game commentators said, the Bengals still aren't mentally tough/mature enough to win games like these.

I feel better now, thanks.

Agree with all of this.  The only thing i will say is that the Bengals beat the Steelers(i realize they were without some players) earlier in the year and won many big games this season which is the reason why last night was a huge game.  If the commentators cant see that then fuck em'.  Also, just like the the first game with Steelers missing players, this time around it was the Bengals without key players.  Hall?  Atkins?  Newman?  Mays?  Newman?  Harrison?  Even their fucking punter got injured.  It was just one of those games.  I realized the en vogue thing for all of the media is to bash the Bengals.  They seem to love it.  But, if they took a step back for a minute to bare witness to some of the fluky shit that occurred along with all of the injuries, they would understand the adversity facing this team last night.  Its not an excuse, lord knows i get plenty pissed at the Bengals, but for me, it was just one of those games. Chalk it up to a bad night and take on the next task at hand.  I dont blame anyone for continuing to be pissed though.

Eifert.jpg

The reaction from one week to the next in this league strikes me as pure comedy gold. No wonder the Bengals are always searching for players who stay even keel because if they rode the knee-jerk reaction wave like the rest of the NFL fans they’d need to be committed by season’s end.

It didn’t take but five minutes into the Pittsburgh game for fan reaction to shift away from the bandwagon overflow of the last two weeks into the coach and quarterback are complete failures and everyone must go.

Sunday Night Football continues to be a problem for this team, they have now lost five straight times, 2005, ’07, ’09, ’11 and ’13. They haven’t won since Week 2 of 2004 on Sunday night. They are 3-12 overall. They’ve lost seven straight on SNF on the road.

Division road games continue be a bad trend, the Bengals have won 2 of the last 12. They were swept in division on the road this year and outplayed in all three.

Look around the league, people. This week, the Broncos, Patriots, Bengals, Saints, Eagles all lost. New Orleans was down 27-3 at St. Louis. The Eagles had won five in a row and gave up 48 at Minnesota. New England for the third straight week found itself against the wall in the final seconds. The Broncos were straight outplayed at home by San Diego. Everyone’s Super Bowl darling Seattle lost at division rival San Francisco last week.

Every team in the AFC is flawed right now, even the NFL. The Bengals are no different.

Following a snowball first quarter at a division rival where two fluky special teams plays buried the Bengals it’s hard to convince me they suddenly are less of a threat in the playoffs.

Do the next two weeks have a bit more importance? Yes. Do the Bengals need to root all that much harder for Detroit tonight? You better believe it. But to think this game exposes a narrative about what Rodney Harrison described on SNF as a team “not mentally tough enough to win these games,” is a statement made by somebody that hasn’t watched every game this team has played. Or even more than maybe three in full.

They are still undefeated at home. They still own (at the moment) a 1 1/2-game lead in the division with two weeks left. They are still one game out of the No. 2 seed in the AFC.

Sunday night was disappointing and sends this team humbled a bit back to Cincinnati, but this season won’t be decided by one bad quarter in Pittsburgh.

The AFC playoff picture is so tightly packed it’s easy to outline disaster. And piling on is a weekly ritual against losing teams. It’s just as easy to outline an ideal scenario.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/12/16/the-walkthrough-knee-jerk-reaction-edition/

Eifert.jpg

The reaction from one week to the next in this league strikes me as pure comedy gold. No wonder the Bengals are always searching for players who stay even keel because if they rode the knee-jerk reaction wave like the rest of the NFL fans they’d need to be committed by season’s end.

It didn’t take but five minutes into the Pittsburgh game for fan reaction to shift away from the bandwagon overflow of the last two weeks into the coach and quarterback are complete failures and everyone must go.

Sunday Night Football continues to be a problem for this team, they have now lost five straight times, 2005, ’07, ’09, ’11 and ’13. They haven’t won since Week 2 of 2004 on Sunday night. They are 3-12 overall. They’ve lost seven straight on SNF on the road.

Division road games continue be a bad trend, the Bengals have won 2 of the last 12. They were swept in division on the road this year and outplayed in all three.

Look around the league, people. This week, the Broncos, Patriots, Bengals, Saints, Eagles all lost. New Orleans was down 27-3 at St. Louis. The Eagles had won five in a row and gave up 48 at Minnesota. New England for the third straight week found itself against the wall in the final seconds. The Broncos were straight outplayed at home by San Diego. Everyone’s Super Bowl darling Seattle lost at division rival San Francisco last week.

Every team in the AFC is flawed right now, even the NFL. The Bengals are no different.

Following a snowball first quarter at a division rival where two fluky special teams plays buried the Bengals it’s hard to convince me they suddenly are less of a threat in the playoffs.

Do the next two weeks have a bit more importance? Yes. Do the Bengals need to root all that much harder for Detroit tonight? You better believe it. But to think this game exposes a narrative about what Rodney Harrison described on SNF as a team “not mentally tough enough to win these games,” is a statement made by somebody that hasn’t watched every game this team has played. Or even more than maybe three in full.

They are still undefeated at home. They still own (at the moment) a 1 1/2-game lead in the division with two weeks left. They are still one game out of the No. 2 seed in the AFC.

Sunday night was disappointing and sends this team humbled a bit back to Cincinnati, but this season won’t be decided by one bad quarter in Pittsburgh.

The AFC playoff picture is so tightly packed it’s easy to outline disaster. And piling on is a weekly ritual against losing teams. It’s just as easy to outline an ideal scenario.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/12/16/the-walkthrough-knee-jerk-reaction-edition/

:41: :41: :41:

Eifert.jpg

Damn that's a good article. Honestly I feel like I am not even that pissed when I woke up today. There is good coming from this loss the way I see it. It will wake up our team and we still control our own destiny. 

I'm off school for the next few wks......so I absolutely took a deep breath.....then exhaled.   Need to light a candle, this shit stinks.  

I was over the loss last night before going to bed.....all it takes is a little perspective.   The only uncomfortable thing about last night was coming to the realization that this team defense, for as well as it has played and does play, will become instant trash if the mistackles continue.  That's the only thing I was discouraged about after digesting the game last night.  

Oh....that and MJ and Dunlap not playing at all.  I mean, they were on the field but I'm not sure either decided they wanted to play last night.   Got dominated by avg players.  How does that happen? 

As soon as I've finished vomiting, I'll try and take a breath. Right now I'm still livid. We didn't help ourselves, and the refs definitely didn't help us. How the fuck that was a "fair catch" signal is beyond me. How the fuck it wasn't a safety is beyond me. How the fuck the Huber hit wasn't an ejection is beyond me.

Still.
Fucking.
Furious.

I'm off school for the next few wks......so I absolutely took a deep breath.....then exhaled.   Need to light a candle, this shit stinks.  

I was over the loss last night before going to bed.....all it takes is a little perspective.   The only uncomfortable thing about last night was coming to the realization that this team defense, for as well as it has played and does play, will become instant trash if the mistackles continue.  That's the only thing I was discouraged about after digesting the game last night.  

Oh....that and MJ and Dunlap not playing at all.  I mean, they were on the field but I'm not sure either decided they wanted to play last night.   Got dominated by avg players.  How does that happen? 

I was dumbfounded when Leveon Bell stiffarmed MJ straight to the ground. I mean just dominated him. WTF.

I know people hate this, but I kind of had a feeling things were gonna go that way last night, this team allows high pressure situations to get into their heads, it became high pressure must win when they knew they could take the #2 seed, once the game was out of hand and the pressure was off, they actually started playing well. Harrison said it last night and until they show otherwise he is dead on right, this team has a lot of talent but isn't mentally tough, they need to do ALOT of growing in that area and when they do they will take the next step from good to elite, I'm not sure if that's going to happen this year, it may, but that's something that comes with experience.

I know people hate this, but I kind of had a feeling things were gonna go that way last night, this team allows high pressure situations to get into their heads, it became high pressure must win when they knew they could take the #2 seed, once the game was out of hand and the pressure was off, they actually started playing well. Harrison said it last night and until they show otherwise he is dead on right, this team has a lot of talent but isn't mentally tough, they need to do ALOT of growing in that area and when they do they will take the next step from good to elite, I'm not sure if that's going to happen this year, it may, but that's something that comes with experience.

except that he's not.

This team has shown more mental toughness and resiliency than any Bengals team in memory.

One bad night doesn't suddenly just erase that.  

The Bengals have over come 4 deficits of 13pts or more this season.  The one time they don't do it and they're suddenly not mentally tough?  Child please.

Archived