Bengals control their own Destiny

Ideal Week 16 scenario:

Bengals win, Ravens win, Dolphins lose.

Week 17 game is still for all the division marbles but it also would not eliminate the Bengals from the playoffs if they lose. They would then go and play @BAL in the wild card round.

I'm on board with this.

The only way that makes sense is if he has a significant # of recs for loss (and I think he does have a number).  The pass from Sanu, for one, was at least 20 yards through the air IIRC.

Good call.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals

Is that right? Wasn't the pass he caught from Sanu over 20 yards in the air?

I think so??? Came from http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals

Are you sure you can take it!?  You seem to be having some serious physical reactions. :)

As long as there is an alternative where there's still a chance I think I can manage.

I want Ravens.  The most ideal path to the SB is if we get the 2 seed.  I see it as

1. Broncos

2. Bengals

3. Patriots

4. Colts

5. Cheifs

6. Ravens/Dolphins

3>6

5>4

2>3

5>1

2>1

As it turns out, that's actually the best possible scenario, given that there's a high likelihood that we would face the winner of the Colts/Chiefs followed by the winner of the Broncos/Pats to get to the Superbowl.  Those first two don't scare me much and there's a high likelihood that NE wins and so has to come here for the AFC title game.

I think the most dangerous team outside of the top 3 right now is the Dolphins.

As it turns out, that's actually the best possible scenario, given that there's a high likelihood that we would face the winner of the Colts/Chiefs followed by the winner of the Broncos/Pats to get to the Superbowl.  Those first two don't scare me much and there's a high likelihood that NE wins and so has to come here for the AFC title game.

I think the most dangerous team outside of the top 3 right now is the Dolphins.

If the Pats end up the 3 seed, the Bengals would play the Pats if the they won their first playoff game rather than the Broncos. It's more likely the Bengals play the Pats rather than Colts/Chiefs winner.

If the Pats end up the 3 seed, the Bengals would play the Pats if the they won their first playoff game rather than the Broncos. It's more likely the Bengals play the Pats rather than Colts/Chiefs winner.

Ah, yes, you are correct.  For some reason I was thinking that Baltimore/Miami had a good chance to knock off the Pats, and then broncos, but somewhere in there I got it all jumbled up.

The Bengals and their fans should be relishing the opportunity to play a do or die game for the division and 2 seed in week 17.  Big time game on a big time stage. At home.  We are 6-0 at home and if it comes down to week 17 w/ the 2 seed up for grabs that will mean we are 7-0 at home.  Maybe that is part of the problem.  There are fans in this board, the radio etc that want to shy away from the big game and opportunity when we should be embracing it. 

I appreciate the sentiment of your commets, but after watching the team shit its pants in big game after big game since 2005, you get a bit guns shy and almost start to dread them. I know that's self-defeating, though, because big games are the only reason to be a fan.

I'm defining "big games" as playoff games or elimination games.

The Bengals and their fans should be relishing the opportunity to play a do or die game for the division and 2 seed in week 17.  Big time game on a big time stage. At home.  We are 6-0 at home and if it comes down to week 17 w/ the 2 seed up for grabs that will mean we are 7-0 at home.  Maybe that is part of the problem.  There are fans in this board, the radio etc that want to shy away from the big game and opportunity when we should be embracing it. 

I appreciate the sentiment of your commets, but after watching the team shit its pants in big game after big game since 2005, you get a bit guns shy and almost start to dread them. I know that's self-defeating, though, because big games are the only reason to be a fan.

I'm defining "big games" as playoff games or elimination games.

Ideal Week 16 scenario:

Bengals win, Ravens win, Dolphins lose.

Week 17 game is still for all the division marbles but it also would not eliminate the Bengals from the playoffs if they lose. They would then go and play @BAL in the wild card round.

I mentioned that as my ideal scenario on another thread. It minimizes the pressure on the Baltimore game that may help them win and get the 2nd seed.  The downside is that the rats would clinch also on Sunday, I think,  I don't want them in the playoffs so the analysts can stop sucking the rats' dick, if only temporary.

People argued that the Week 17 rats game should be for all the marbles, win or go home, so the Bengals can prove themselves.  That they can win the big game. i'd rather have them clinch the play-offs and prove themselves there.

I don't want to play the Chiefs. This team is not very good against good defensive teams.

I dunno.  The Chiefs are currently one of the worse run stopping teams in the league.

I'd lean no because their offense has gotten hot, but their defense has given up 27 or more 4 of their last 5 games.

Don't get me wrong, we will all certainly take getting into the playoffs, but I think one of the worst scenarios would be if the Bengals win this week, the Ravens win this week, and Miami loses.  Then the in Week 17 the Bengals lose to the Ravens, resulting in a first round playoff game in Baltimore.  That would be a nightmarish scenario. 

Of course, Indy could certainly shake that up as well if they knock off KC in KC.  That would put the Bengals in Foxboro for the first round.

Don't get me wrong, we will all certainly take getting into the playoffs, but I think one of the worst scenarios would be if the Bengals win this week, the Ravens win this week, and Miami loses.  Then the in Week 17 the Bengals lose to the Ravens, resulting in a first round playoff game in Baltimore.  That would be a nightmarish scenario. 

Of course, Indy could certainly shake that up as well if they knock off KC in KC.  That would put the Bengals in Foxboro for the first round.

I think we win the division...

But in the scenario you just created, I would rather go to NE.

What if the Bengals lose to the Vikings and the Ravens win against the Patriots? Does this Viking game even matter?

It matters because if the ravens lose we clinch with a win vs min. And if the ravens win it still matters cause if we beat min and then Baltimore we would get the two seed.

So yes it very much matters.

It matters because if the ravens lose we clinch with a win vs min. And if the ravens win it still matters cause if we beat min and then Baltimore we would get the two seed.

So yes it very much matters.

Makes sense. Thank you.

What if the Bengals lose to the Vikings and the Ravens win against the Patriots? Does this Viking game even matter?

Often overlooked is the Bengals control their destiny for division and Wildcard.

They are a game up.   No matter what happens this week, the Bengals will enter the final week controling their own playoff destiny.

However,  a loss this week would force them to miss out on clinching if those senarios happen.  

Archived