When the Browns move to Los Angeles....

AmishBengalFan

I expect the league will want to move them into the NFC.  The argument they'll make is that San Diego and Oakland are already in the AFC - conveniently ignoring the fact that San Francisco has an NFC team right across the bay from the Raiders.  The real reason is because, frankly, the league considers the NFC to be the "big boy" conference, and will want their new LA team to be spotlighted there rather than the AFC.

Regardless of the public or private reasons, when that happens there will be a need to realign someone from the NFC back to the AFC... plus some shifting of teams to get everyone back to 4-team divisions.  Here's one such scenario:

Browns from Cleveland (AFC North) to Los Angeles (NFC West)

Rams from NFC West to AFC South

Indianapolis from AFC South to AFC North

Giving you:

AFC-E: BUF MIA NEP NYJ

AFC-N: BAL CIN IND PIT

AFC-S: HOU JAX STL TEN

AFC-W: DEN KCC OAK SDC

NFC-E: DAL NYG PHI WAS

NFC-N: CHI DET GBP MIN

NFC-S: ATL CAR NOS TBB

NFC-W: ARI LAB SFF SEA

The Rams are in geographic "no-mans land".  They're in the West, but their closest three opponent cities are Chicago (NFC North), Indy and Tennessee (AFC South).  They could just as easily move to the NFC South if the Browns remain in the AFC, or to the AFC South to replace Jacksonville if the Jaguars beat Cleveland to Farmers Field.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Also, when the Cavaliers move to Baltimore, you can expect Cleveland's crack litigation team to jump in to prevent THIS from happening:

c8t3.jpg

There's an easy fix.    Just rename them....

Browns.

I know Cleveland is all about "history"...but they would be misplaced in attempting to block the historicity of Cavaliers in Maryland. Although most Cavaliers who fled Cromwellian England in the mid-17th Century wound up in Virginia, some also found favor with the loyalists in Maryland. None, that I know of, settled in NE Ohio.

Game...set...match...Maryland.

Archived