2006 Reds manager

Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick
[url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-jack18jul18,0,4616177.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines"]click here[/url]

[quote][b]Source: McKeon's job at risk[/b]

Mounting losses could result in manager change

By Mike Berardino
Staff writer
Posted July 18 2005

The Marlins' malaise has deepened to the point where not even manager Jack McKeon appears immune from change.

[b]According to a National League official, the Marlins are giving serious consideration to firing the popular McKeon in an effort to shake up one of baseball's biggest disappointments.[/b]

"Everything at this point is being considered -- everything," the NL official said Sunday night.

The top candidate to replace McKeon, 74, would be Yankees bench coach Joe Girardi, the source said. Girardi, a favorite of Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, could have been the Marlins' bench coach but turned down their offer last fall.

As of Sunday night, a Yankees source said the Marlins had not asked for permission to discuss a possible opening with Girardi, 40. The Yankees source also said the Marlins probably "would have to look elsewhere" for their next manager, although such matters are typically negotiable.

Other names being considered are former Marlins managers Jim Leyland and Jeff Torborg, Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella, former Red Sox manager Grady Little and Braves third-base coach Fredi Gonzalez.

Leyland, a part-time scout for the Cardinals, led the Marlins to their first World Series title in 1997. Torborg, a Fox television analyst, has earned the gratitude of Marlins management with his refusal to burn bridges since his May 2003 firing.

[b]Piniella is under contract through 2006, but he and the Rays have been exploring exit strategies.[/b]

Loria was in Philadelphia this weekend, where he watched his team drop three of four games to the Phillies to start the second half. Loria and General Manager Larry Beinfest were expected to accompany the Marlins to Arizona, where they begin a three-game series tonight.

Rumblings of discord in the Marlins clubhouse have surfaced periodically this summer, and at least three team meetings have been called to address the complaints. Marlins officials, in conversations with other baseball people, have begun wondering aloud whether McKeon has lost the clubhouse.

"It's an open question whether Jack has lost the team," the NL official said. "I certainly don't think he has lost all of it, but he has lost some of it."

It was McKeon who replaced Torborg and led the Marlins to an improbable run to the World Series crown. The Marlins fell to third place at 83-79 last year, but with Loria authorizing a club-record $66 million payroll, they were the preseason favorites in many circles to win the NL East.

Since reaching a season-best 26-16 on May 24, the Marlins have gone 19-29 and fallen into a last-place tie with the Mets. Now mulling over trades to send away pitcher A.J. Burnett and third baseman Mike Lowell, the Marlins are seven games behind the first-place Nationals and 5½ games behind the Braves in the wild-card race.

A report on ESPN mentioned Braves special assistant Jim Fregosi as a leading candidate, but Fregosi and Marlins star Carlos Delgado clashed when they were together in Toronto. That fact likely eliminates Fregosi from consideration.

Mike Berardino can be reached at mberardino@sun-sentinel.com.[/quote]

[b]a couple of questions...

1. would you want Jack McKeon back as our coach, if possible?

2. would you want "sweet" lou pinella back, if possible?

3. mckeon vs pinella... who would you rather have?

i am a yes, yes, pinella (but would go w/ either for sure)...[/b]

Guest Whodey420
I wouldnt mind seeing Lou Pinella come back.....McKeon is a good manager but the guy is 74 yrs old....Jim Leyland wouldnt be a bad choice either....Someone that you never hear being mentioned as a Manager that I wouldnt mind seeing considering the catastrophe called our pitching staff is Leo Mazzone...I dont know if this guy has ever done any managing other than the pitching staff gig but hell I dont see why it couldnt be done.....Works in the NFL dont see why it wouldnt in baseball.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jul 19 2005, 02:45 AM'][img]http://www.alsde.edu/other/PROS/Feb2004/Personal%20Web%20Page_files/image031.jpg[/img]
Never happen though.
[right][post="115894"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Better never happen! Maybe be the greatest pure hitter ever but also the biggest joke of of a human

Guest Claptonrocks
Casey Stengal, Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda and a host of other great managers had losing records when they didnt have the horses...
this team will have a losing record regardless of who the manager is until they can get some good pitchers and the ONLY way thats going to happen is trading a valued player like Dunn or Kearns ( to some degree ) or WilyMO ...
All the great hitters in the world cant make a team win in the long run..
Its about pitching..

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Master Shake' date='Sep 22 2005, 04:31 PM'][img]http://users.marshall.edu/~johns101/images/larkin1.jpg[/img]
[right][post="155143"][/post][/right][/quote]

He works in the Front Office for the Nationals now, the Reds had that chance and scewed it up. <_<

At this point, they will have to bring back Sparky for the manager to make any difference to me. If they don't spend some money for a [b]quality[/b] starting pitcher, it won't make any difference.

Oh, and this time, for God sake, make it a sinkerball pitcher!

Guest Master Shake

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Sep 22 2005, 07:50 PM']He works in the Front Office for the Nationals now, the Reds had that chance and scewed it up.  <_<
[right][post="155255"][/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah, but if he really wanted to manage, and Robby doesn't step down this year, we might be his only option. Anyway, he's a Red at heart, and although some may say he doesn't have the experience, I don't think anyone can question that he knows the game, and has a passion for winning.

[quote name='Jason' date='Sep 22 2005, 05:54 PM']At this point, they will have to bring back Sparky for the manager to make any difference to me.  If they don't spend some money for a [b]quality[/b] starting pitcher, it won't make any difference.

[b]Oh, and this time, for God sake, make it a sinkerball pitcher![/b][right][post="155260"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]
I vote sweet Lou but agree that it could be God managing and it won't matter unless we acquire/develop some pitching....

Guest bengalrick

sweet lou is my first pick... then torre...

folks, i really think we are closer than most give us credit for as far as pitching... if milton and ortiz would have worked out, we would have had a solid rotation, and probably the best lineup in the league... we are an ace away imo... but 2 would be nice too :D

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jul 18 2005, 01:27 PM'][url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-jack18jul18,0,4616177.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines"]click here[/url]
[b]a couple of questions...

1. would you want Jack McKeon back as our coach, if possible?

2. would you want "sweet" lou pinella back, if possible?

3. mckeon vs pinella... who would you rather have?
i am a yes, yes, pinella (but would go w/ either for sure)...[/b]
[right][post="115689"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
What is needed is new ownership. The old addage you get what you pay for also applies to baseball. The teams that spend the jack compete and lead thier respective divisions. Mickey Mouse could manage the Yankees and still go to the playoffs year after year after God forsaken year. The reason Sweet Lou is leaving Tampa is because he likes to win. The reason he can't is because of thier ownership. The Devil Rays spend about as much on thier entire team as the Yankees do on thier entire pitching staff. It ain't rocket science.

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='mikeman' date='Sep 23 2005, 11:51 PM']What is needed is new ownership.  The old addage you get what you pay for also applies to baseball.  The teams that spend the jack compete and lead thier respective divisions.  Mickey Mouse could manage the Yankees and still go to the playoffs year after year after God forsaken year.  The reason Sweet Lou is leaving Tampa is because he likes to win.  The reason he can't is because of thier ownership.  The Devil Rays spend about as much on thier entire team as the Yankees do on thier entire pitching staff.  It ain't rocket science.
[right][post="155827"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I agree with you, but the Reds aren't the Yankees. They're not a team of veteran all-star sluggers, and high-priced hired guns. What they have is 4 young players with superstar potential that need to be developed, because they might be our only chance to be competitive for the next decade. The Reds need someone like Bobby Cox who knows how to get these guys to their potential.
Now, that's only half the battle...the ownership still has to pony up and come through with some decent arms.

[quote name='Storm' date='Jul 18 2005, 10:58 PM']Better never happen!  Maybe be the greatest pure hitter ever but also the biggest joke of of a human
[right][post="115901"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I will kill you, Storm
I would like Lou over Jack
Or both togehter

Archived