NAS or Router - Media Server Ideas

Returning to this topic. Plex is working on my qnap, but it obviously doesn't transcode.

What I am wondering is this. Can I store my files on the nas, have it hooked to a server (nuc or old desktop) and stream to the roku...meaning the server would show the files from the nas?

Returning to this topic. Plex is working on my qnap, but it obviously doesn't transcode.

What I am wondering is this. Can I store my files on the nas, have it hooked to a server (nuc or old desktop) and stream to the roku...meaning the server would show the files from the nas?

yes.

all my files are stored on my NAS, but my plex media server runs on my mac mini and I stream to the roku in my bedroom. As long as you map the network drive to the machine you're running the server on it'll be fine.

I've had no issues with that set up. Fast forward is a little slower on my roku than my mac mini, but that may very well be a hardware issue

yes.

all my files are stored on my NAS, but my plex media server runs on my mac mini and I stream to the roku in my bedroom. As long as you map the network drive to the machine you're running the server on it'll be fine.

I've had no issues with that set up. Fast forward is a little slower on my roku than my mac mini, but that may very well be a hardware issue

Thanks!  I have a old dell laptop that I think I'll try this on (maybe a light linux distro).

i just hooked my synology to my switch, and it plays everything directly into all of my TV's via DLNA server. and to all iDevices via the built in itunes server as a shared library..

synology is the best thing i ever did.

My Qnap works pretty well as well. There have been a few times that I would like to trans code things and it won't (obviously because of the processor).  Otherwise it has worked great.

I wonder if just using a DNLA server instead of the Plex server would be the way to go.

That QNAP looks like a winner, Montana.

I installed Plex tonight and am still playing around with it. I have a lot of .iso files so I guess I'll have to crank up Handbrake to get around the lack of transcoding via Plex. Probably better that way anyhow, as the iso disk images can serve as a backup on different externals while I put all the mp4 files on another external drive--if that drive fails from getting used a lot, then I'll automatically have a way to recover (or at least begin re-retranscoding.)

I may still keep my print version up to date as I like to rock it old school. It's like my own TVGuide.

I did hook up a old dell laptop with peppermint OS and plex. Right now I have a few channels added (food tv and syfy) and that is transcoding a few things for us just fine. We don't watch tons, but it is kind of nice. I would like to get a small machine...maybe a nuc and put a small ssd drive in it. Not sure if it would transcode the other files, but most of my movies are already converted and play without transcoding

• 1 month later...

Archived