!!!THE CHARGERS @ BENGALS WILDCARD GAME THREAD!!!

Jeff Triplette returns to Cincinnati, scene of a major blunder

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2014, 7:25 AM EST

yahoo_triplette3.jpg?w=375

Jeff Triplette will serve as the referee for today’s Chargers-Bengals game in Cincinnati, which will leave a lot of NFL fans shaking their heads.

Triplette has been blamed for several baffling calls, including one just last month in Cincinnati, when he used replay to award Bengals running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis a touchdown even though it had been correctly ruled on the field that Green-Ellis had been tripped and fell down short of the goal line.

After the game, Triplette admitted that the only aspect of the replay he had looked at was whether the ball crossed the goal line, and not whether Green-Ellis had been tripped in the backfield. That’s the kind of blunder that is bad enough in the regular season but would be really embarrassing in the playoffs.

And yet the NFL somehow graded Triplette during the 2013 season as good enough to serve as a playoff referee. One big mistake shouldn’t preclude a referee from working a playoff game, but that wasn’t Triplette’s only big mistake. Triplette was also the referee whose crew couldn’t straighten out whether or not Washington got a first down late in a loss to Washington, a blunder that resulted in the league’s head of officiating publicly acknowledging that Triplette should have stopped the game action to make sure the call was right.

Triplette, whose crew routinely calls the most penalties of any officiating crew, often seems like he just doesn’t have the game under control. Let’s hope the Chargers-Bengals game doesn’t come down to a close replay that Triplette has to decide.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/05/jeff-triplette-returns-to-cincinnati-scene-of-a-major-blunder/

What I can promise you we won't do is make our entire game plan Jermaine Gresham.  I just watched the playoff game versus Houston last year and he dropped at least 5 or 6 balls. Today, boys and girls, is why we went out and got Bernard and Eifert in the draft. Our WR's have matured, especially Marvin Jones (10 TDs, anyone?).  We have 4 or 5 solid options beyond AJ and Gresh. 

Gio Berard, Andrew Hawkins, Marvin Jones, and Tyler Eifert will show up big today.

I think/hope so too.

If The offensive line plays great- this team will crush. If the offensive line lets Andy get pressured and doesn't run block- it may be a long afternoon.

If The offensive line plays great- this team will crush. If the offensive line lets Andy get pressured and doesn't run block- it may be a long afternoon.

Always the key.  I'm a little bit worried about Cook playing, as he now has an established history of saying he's fine but then revealing in the post season that he was really only 85% after he sucked it up.

I think Baby Hawk is the secret sauce. He's looked great the last few weeks - the first game in SD was where he started to show his stuff coming back from injury. Be a difference maker today! 

Adam Jones and Dre have a big assignment against Keenan Allen. And DL has to bring it!

Well, our last last year in Houston came from two things: Gresham's drops and the Texans targeting Rey. M. 

We've got other weapons to focus on if they take away AJ. Rey has improved somewhat - but we also have Vinny Rey who is much stronger against the pass.

Archived