Dalton is the man?

Barring injury, Andy Dalton will be the starting quarterback in Cincinnati for the next ten years.

Why are so many people unable to wrap their minds around this?

Not sure id go that far, but definitely next year.

Unless some cant miss/cant pass opportunity comes up, but they rarely do for teams drafting in the 20s. And there are also rarely free agent QBs that are top 10 qbs.

Unless some cant miss/cant pass opportunity comes up, but they rarely do for teams drafting in the 20s. And there are also rarely free agent QBs that are top 10 qbs.

The chance of this team drafting in the top 5 in the foreseeable future is almost non-existent. So, unless they luck into a Russell Wilson in the middle rounds, Dalton is going to be 'the guy'. The other thing is, that for all of his postseason failings, Dalton's improvement over the last two offseasons has been dramatic. There's no reason to think it won't continue. For Christ's sake, his downfall has been interceptions, and that's probably the easiest thing to cure.

Not likely but you never know. I mean Rodgers did drop pretty far down for the Packers.

Not only did Lewis tell Dalton he is the man, but Dalton emphasized that "was what [he] wanted to hear."  Really?  After that performance you get all squishy and loveable with him?  No.  What Dalton needs to hear at the very least is "you sucked it up out there and we can't commit to you until we see you improve.  There will be competition next year."  Also note that Dalton always refers to Lewis as "Marvin", never coach or Coach Lewis.  This relationship is too friendly.  And when you have a coach that knows he has zero chance of being fired no matter how badly he does his job telling his BFF QB that no matter how much like garbage he performs he still has a guaranteed job, then your team goes nowhere.  At best, given the outstanding offensive weapons that Dalton has, he should be a placeholder for a real QB to come in and take charge.  Regular season numbers are great.  But if you can't even come close to winning a playoff game in the NFL, you're just a distraction and a detriment.  Enough apologies for Dalton.  He's in his third year, not a rookie.  And his attitude is horrible.  Any real man would be at least a bit apologetic that he totally choked.  But not Andy.  He was told what he wanted to hear and assured everyone of his impending greatness despite evidence on the field to the contrary.   He and Marvin need to be marched out the door hand-in-hand.

Not likely but you never know. I mean Rodgers did drop pretty far down for the Packers.

And if Favre hadn't "retired", Rodgers would have left Green Bay as a free agent without ever starting a game. The Bengals ought to draft a mid round quarterback this year to groom as a backup. That's what top tier teams do. When it works, it gives you a better, cheaper backup (than the standard journeyman clipboard holder) that covers you in case of injury and/or can be parlayed into picks later.

Josh Johnson as a backup is unacceptable.

The chance of this team drafting in the top 5 in the foreseeable future is almost non-existent. So, unless they luck into a Russell Wilson in the middle rounds, Dalton is going to be 'the guy'. The other thing is, that for all of his postseason failings, Dalton's improvement over the last two offseasons has been dramatic. There's no reason to think it won't continue. For Christ's sake, his downfall has been interceptions, and that's probably the easiest thing to cure.

If you are not getting better, you are getting worse. There is no staying the same in the NFL.

No one thought Atlanta and Houston would collapse but the margin of error in the NFL is very very small.

First place schedule, possible need to replace coaches and both Pitt and Balt will be building and improving, they always do.

Lastly, 3 seasons and they have not corrected it yet. The guy simply hasn't limitations that are not going away. To make up for them, he has to understand what he can and can not do. To this point, he does not.

I've defended Andy for a while and after the first half yesterday I couldn't wait to get into these threads. Then the second half happened and here we are.

My problem with the vehemently anti Andy crowd is that it all sounds like "fuck these increasingly better win totals, and offensive production, and consecutive seasons of believing we are good enough to beat any team on any Sunday, I would have much rather ridden the Jake Locker train or the Christian Ponder truck or the Geno Smith staion wagon to meddling mediocrity 7-9 and 8-8 seasons while AJs talent really wastes away.

People act like teams interchange QBs as if they are legos and sustain success. I think many have forgotten just how hopless some sundays used to be. I may be ready to concede Andys ceiling is lower than I hoped...but I'm not ready to jump ship and start over. The success rate of that approach should be readily apparent to those willing to look through the anger and realize it hasn't really been that bad of a ride.

And if Favre hadn't "retired", Rodgers would have left Green Bay as a free agent without ever starting a game. The Bengals ought to draft a mid round quarterback this year to groom as a backup. That's what top tier teams do. When it works, it gives you a better, cheaper backup (than the standard journeyman clipboard holder) that covers you in case of injury and/or can be parlayed into picks later.

Josh Johnson as a backup is unacceptable.

I think the prevailing thought there was Favre was forced into retirement because they wanted to let Rodgers take over.

I think the prevailing thought there was Favre was forced into retirement because they wanted to let Rodgers take over.

^this. They knew what they had in Rogers. Just as when Montana was forced out of SF to clear the way for S Young.

I've defended Andy for a while and after the first half yesterday I couldn't wait to get into these threads. Then the second half happened and here we are.
My problem with the vehemently anti Andy crowd is that it all sounds like "fuck these increasingly better win totals, and offensive production, and consecutive seasons of believing we are good enough to beat any team on any Sunday, I would have much rather ridden the Jake Locker train or the Christian Ponder truck or the Geno Smith staion wagon to meddling mediocrity 7-9 and 8-8 seasons while AJs talent really wastes away.
People act like teams interchange QBs as if they are legos and sustain success. I think many have forgotten just how hopless some sundays used to be. I may be ready to concede Andys ceiling is lower than I hoped...but I'm not ready to jump ship and start over. The success rate of that approach should be readily apparent to those willing to look through the anger and realize it hasn't really been that bad of a ride.

With the talent on this team, those guys may be better than you give them credit for. All the Bengals really need a game manager.

Not only did Lewis tell Dalton he is the man, but Dalton emphasized that "was what [he] wanted to hear."  Really?  After that performance you get all squishy and loveable with him?  No.  What Dalton needs to hear at the very least is "you sucked it up out there and we can't commit to you until we see you improve.  There will be competition next year."  Also note that Dalton always refers to Lewis as "Marvin", never coach or Coach Lewis.  This relationship is too friendly.  And when you have a coach that knows he has zero chance of being fired no matter how badly he does his job telling his BFF QB that no matter how much like garbage he performs he still has a guaranteed job, then your team goes nowhere.  At best, given the outstanding offensive weapons that Dalton has, he should be a placeholder for a real QB to come in and take charge.  Regular season numbers are great.  But if you can't even come close to winning a playoff game in the NFL, you're just a distraction and a detriment.  Enough apologies for Dalton.  He's in his third year, not a rookie.  And his attitude is horrible.  Any real man would be at least a bit apologetic that he totally choked.  But not Andy.  He was told what he wanted to hear and assured everyone of his impending greatness despite evidence on the field to the contrary.   He and Marvin need to be marched out the door hand-in-hand.

Nothing personal, but you've obviously never been an effective leader of men. There's a time to break shit down and deconstruct what went wrong. 10 minutes after a season ending loss is probably THE worst time to berate a guy. Like it or not, the Bengals are stuck with Andy Dalton as their quarterback. Breaking his confidence is not a great idea. He's heard that he can't get it done in the playoffs a million times and will probably hear it a million more before training camp starts. Knowing that the coaching staff still believes in him is a big deal.

I guarantee you that as bad as you feel about Andy Dalton's performance Sunday, he feels worse. What could POSSIBLY be good about Marvin Lewis shitting on the guy right now?

With the talent on this team, those guys may be better than you give them credit for. All the Bengals really need a game manager.

Game manager = quarterback incapable of great things.

No team has ever sought out a "game manager". That's just what they settled for.

Bullshit. They got tired of Farve saying he was thinking about retiring every year, and trying to hold the team hostage. But, you like making your own history, so continue on.

So your answer to Andy sux is that Christian Ponder may have faired better throwing it 51 times yesterday? Game management starts at the gameplan and the play calls. With the laundry list of shitty QBs we've had through the years and we've seen neaeby with the browns, Youd think we wouldn't be so anxious to run this guy out of town, but rather to get more out of him.

Bullshit. They got tired of Farve saying he was thinking about retiring every year, and trying to hold the team hostage. But, you like making your own history, so continue on.

You're wrong. Their GM and Farve did not see eye to eye, it was well known.

So, while Favre was on the roster, EXACTLY HOW MANY GAMES DID AARON RODGERS START?

So your answer to Andy sux is that Christian Ponder may have faired better throwing it 51 times yesterday? Game management starts at the gameplan and the play calls. With the laundry list of shitty QBs we've had through the years and we've seen neaeby with the browns, Youd think we wouldn't be so anxious to run this guy out of town, but rather to get more out of him.

400 + yards, 17 more offensive plays and half the punts of the opponent doesn't should like a that bad a game plan. No, I am not saying what ponder or anyone else for that matter would have done. What I am saying is you cannot compare those guys with Dalton because the talent level is much higher around Dalton. If not for this defense, my guess is there would be many more disliking Dalton as the defense made up for many of his mistakes somewhat masking a huge problem.

Archived