Dalton is the man?

In 1981, Kenny Anderson threw 3 interceptions in the first half in a game against the Seattle Seahawks.  Do you think head coach Forest Gregg told him that's OK, Kenny, you're still our guy?

Hell no, he BENCHED his ass and let the backup QB play the entire second half.

Guess what--that benching lit a fire under Anderson's ass and he responded by winning the MVP and taking us all the way to the Superbowl.

There is no way Marvin would ever do that--he's too soft.  But I have NO DOUBT that if Zimmer were named head coach he would bench Andy's ass if/when he continues to fuck up.

There is no way Marvin would ever do that--he's too soft.  But I have NO DOUBT that if Zimmer were named head coach he would bench Andy's ass if/when he continues to fuck up.

I'm not so sure. He's never benched Rey.

Calling for a QB's job after he puts up three incredibly bad playoff games in a  row is only an overreaction to Bengals fans.  For any other franchise, it's long overdue.

Once again not saying dalton is manning, but based on what you are saying above the colts should have chased manning out after 3 miserable playoff performances. Same with flacco Eli manning etc.

Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England, San Diego (must win at home for them at the time), Baltimore (must win for them to get into the playoffs) Detroit (hot team at home at the time), Indy weren't big time wins?

Not anymore.

We're at a point now where playoffs are the "big wins". 

There is a bit of an eye test as well. I watch Andy Dalton he looks lost and rattled very often. These other guys, even when turning it over don't.

Doesn't that same eye test tell you that the guy has come leaps and bounds from his rookie season?

Turk, what in the blue hell are you talking about? Of course, anybody would trade Dalton for Manning. Here's the problem... He's not available. Neither is Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady.

Fans feel pain after Bengals loss, finger-pointing begins

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

More than a day removed from the Bengals loss in the playoffs, and fans are still feeling the pain.

Do a quick search on your Twitter feed, and not a minute goes by that someone isn't mentioning the Bengals whether it be good, bad or indifferent.  But, a lot of them are upset with Sunday's loss.

Callers spent Monday afternoon sounding off on Mo Egger's radio show on ESPN1530.

"When Dalton's good, he's great. But, when he's bad, he's horrible," said one caller.

"There's just this huge sense of a blown opportunity given how good this team was. They got the opponent they wanted. They were at home where they were dominant," said Egger.

For the fans, a 23-year playoff victory drought isn't an easy one to stomach.

"It's a little disappointing," said Al Davenport, a die-hard Bengals fan.

"It's very tough," added another fan.

"It's tough, but you become numb to it," said Casey Marsh, a lifelong fan.

And now, the finger pointing begins. A lot of those fingers are pointing right to Andy Dalton and his playoff struggles.

"In a day and age when we expect quarterbacks to be good early more than ever before in the money games, Andy Dalton doesn't get it done," Egger told FOX19.

The internet has been ablaze with criticisms, too, including Facebook pagesdedicated to canning the Bengals quarterback. But, for some fans, there is no one person to blame.

"I don't put the blame on nobody. They're all there together. It all happens together," said Floyd Gillie, a lifelong fan.

"It's a team effort. It's not just on one player. It's just a team effort," added Davenport.

An early end to a promising season has fans now focused on the future.

"You find out who's a real fan and who isn't in these times. You're either going to stick around, or you're not," Marsh told FOX19.

Who do you think is to blame for the loss?

Andy Dalton? Jay Gruden? The offensive line? 

What changes would you like to see made?

Join the conversation on FOX19's Facebook page.

http://www.fox19.com/story/24379423/bengals-fans-still-feel-the-pain-of-

Brian Billick ....

I wouldn't have given Jay Cutler the $100 million contract, so I surely wouldn't give it to Andy Dalton. The Bengals don't have to make that decision for another season, but they may want to start planning for the future starting right now. Just compare him to Andrew Luck. Player to player, that isn't a fair comparison, but who has the better defense? Dalton. The better wide receivers? Dalton. The better offensive line? Dalton. The better running backs? Dalton. Yet, Luck has a postseason win in just two tries while Dalton is 0-3.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/billick-don-t-look-now-but-the-broncos-have-a-roadblock-ahead-010614

I was at 4 home games this year and the playoff game. 

If I remember correctly, Andy looked really good at the Colts and Jets games.  I have supported him and thought he was going in the right direction.

After this playoff game, I am not so sure any more.  I know it is only one game.  But, it seems like every time the spotlight is on he melts and so does the team.  The three turnovers on Sunday were awful.  I know he has had some 4th quarter comebacks, but how often has he really done well under pressure.  I will say if there are two minutes left, I would rather have a 2 point lead and take our defense than be down 2 points and need Andy to lead a drive.

My other problem with Andy right now is his refusal to take blame.  He is the QB!!  Even if it is other guys faults, take the blame and move on.  That is part of being a leader.  Accept the blame in public and clean up things behind closed doors!!!  Every good QB does that!  Instead, everything is "we" with him.  Please tell me how "we" can help him hold on to a ball when he dives head first....

I know we can all look at the numbers and statistically he is getting better, but my gut never feels good when the pressure is on him.

Going forward....

Now that I have been all over Andy, I will say we abandoned the running game too much this year.  Maybe Jay just likes passing or did not feel our run game was sufficient.  Even some of the O-line was calling for the run game to be more active.  Every QB is better with a top running game.  Kaepernick has a good run game.  Brady was a monster when he had Corey Dillon in the back field.  Peyton has had some good backs too.  Russel Wilson has a good running game.  We have BJGE who is maybe a little above average.  I like Bernard, but I think we need a power back too.  Not sure if we can find one in the draft or not.

Also----I am all for drafting a QB in rounds 2-4 if a decent one is available.  Someone with potential that needs groomed.  They can't be any worse than Josh Johnson and maybe it will light a fire under Andy. 

Brian Billick ....

[font='Lucida grande']I wouldn't have given Jay Cutler the $100 million contract, so I surely wouldn't give it to Andy Dalton. The Bengals don't have to make that decision for another season, but they may want to start planning for the future starting right now. Just compare him to Andrew Luck. Player to player, that isn't a fair comparison, but who has the better defense? Dalton. The better wide receivers? Dalton. The better offensive line? Dalton. The better running backs? Dalton. Yet, Luck has a postseason win in just two tries while Dalton is 0-3.[/font]

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/billick-don-t-look-now-but-the-broncos-have-a-roadblock-ahead-010614

These comments make me scratch my head. Not because anything he said was wrong because it wasn't. But how do we just go out and get a guy like luck? A guy that was a once in a 10
Year type prospect? If we could do it id be all for it, but we can't.

I agree that Dalton has a really good supporting cast but no one shows up in big games. It seems like other teams come alive in playoff games and play better than they are. Our team does the opposite. The Chargers aren't known for their defense but yet they got endless amounts of pressure and our awesome, 3rd in the league defense, barely touched Rivers.

Andrew Luck is a special player and way better than Dalton but that's expected. Unless we get really fucking lucky, we aren't landing a QB like him. It would take sucking for a whole season and then hoping it's a Luck kind of first overall pick and not a Gabbert type. They need to draft a QB for competition and back up reasons at some point though.

These comments make me scratch my head. Not because anything he said was wrong because it wasn't. But how do we just go out and get a guy like luck? A guy that was a once in a 10

I can't see us getting anyone like Luck.  Our best potential would be someone like Wilson, Kaepernick or Brady in a later round.  And, some of those just seem to be lucky picks.  Although, we picked Dalton just before Kaep and Devon Still just before Russell Wilson.....

I can't see us getting anyone like Luck.  Our best potential would be someone like Wilson, Kaepernick or Brady in a later round.  And, some of those just seem to be lucky picks.  Although, we picked Dalton just before Kaep and Devon Still just before Russell Wilson.....

You know, even with the SB win, patriots' fans weren't completely sold on Brady for a while. It's easy to look at him now and think that's ridiculous but his team carried him and let him mature.

You know, even with the SB win, patriots' fans weren't completely sold on Brady for a while. It's easy to look at him now and think that's ridiculous but his team carried him and let him mature.

This is true.  But, Brady managed the game and did not do things to lose.  He never had Dalton's post season problems.

You beat me to it.

The price for Jameis WInston in 2015 would be 2-14 next season.  Who's willing to sign up for that?

Counting on an upgrade at QB1 with a draft pick outside the top 5 is not a strategy.  It's a wish.  Desperate teams, like the '11 Bengals do it.  If they had missed on Dalton, this team would look a whole lot more like the Jags (Blaine Gabbert), Vikings (Christian Ponder), or Titans (Jake Locker) right now.  Instead, the Bengals are 30-18 with three playoff appearances in the last three years.  I don't get how fans and press can look at Andy Dalton and NOT see that that virtually all of the realistic alternatives are MUCH worse.  

Here's a question for everyone...  If, at the start of the 2011 draft, you were guaranteed the results Andy Dalton has provided over the past three seasons, would you have taken him with the 4th pick in the draft?

A lot of observers thought the Bengals would take Blaine Gabbert at 4.  How much better would he (or Dalton) have to have performed to make that a good pick?

Somebody's likely to say that's this is a stupid question because it's hypothetical.  Nah.  It's no more hypothetical than everyone out there who thinks the Bengals would be in better shape with ______________ at quarterback.

Can anyone get the ESPN insider article on Dalton by Mike Sando.  Just curious if there is anything interesting in that.

Thanks

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=6191

Here ya go

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Andy Dalton is now 0-3 in the postseason after a mistake-riddled game against the Chargers.
The Cincinnati Bengals face a critical decision at quarterback following their latest playoff defeat with Andy Dalton behind center. They do not have to make the decision today, and that is probably a good thing. Some frustrated fans surely wouldn't mind if the organization moved in another direction as soon as possible. Patience is a tough sell after watching Dalton toss two killer interceptions during a 27-10 home defeat to the sixth-seeded San Diego Chargers in the AFC wild-card round on Sunday.

It's not just a one-game thing either. Dalton has been up and down throughout his three-year career. After Sunday, he has one touchdown and seven turnovers in three career playoff games, a leading reason Cincinnati has not experienced a postseason win since 1990, the longest active streak of futility in the league. Something has to change, but what? Here we consider three options for the team as Dalton enters the final year of his rookie contract. Two coaches and one NFL general manager offer their thoughts on Dalton's future and also on his latest performance -- thoughts that obliterate popular opinion.

The two calls I made to veteran NFL assistant coaches followed a similar course. Neither thinks Dalton is a great quarterback. Both think the Bengals need to consider their options. However, neither thought Dalton was horrible Sunday, not by a long shot. That is where we need to begin, because this latest performance from Dalton -- 29-of-51 passing for 334 yards with one TD, two picks, three sacks and a 14.2 Total QBR score that is by far the lowest for any starter in these playoffs -- felt like such a defining one.

One of the coaches I spoke with has been an offensive coordinator or position coach for about two decades. The other has been a position coach on defense for about half as long. Both watched the game Sunday and knew Dalton was getting crushed in the media afterward. Coaches carry their own biases, of course, but their training forces them to watch for things beyond the quarterback. It was striking to me how similar these veteran coaches sounded when recounting the factors they considered pivotal to the Bengals' defeat in the wild-card round Sunday. They were not especially down on Dalton.

"Now, if the running back [Giovani Bernard] does not fumble it at the goal line and if A.J. Green does not run his route at less than full speed and drop the deep ball, are we even talking about this?" the offensive coach asked in prefacing his remarks about Dalton.

[+] Enlarge
Robert Mayer/USA TODAY Sports
A.J. Green had a critical drop in Sunday's game.
The defensive coach took a similar tack initially. "Dalton actually managed the game fairly well," he said. "He had trouble with middle pressure and did not throw it well when he had to scramble to his right, but what about the two-handed drop by Green for a touchdown? Likewise, Dalton's play has nothing to do with the guy running [58 yards] through the middle of the defense for a touchdown."

This game was classic Dalton in some ways. He played well enough for quite a while, but just when you thought he might be OK, disaster struck.

On the positive side, Dalton hung tough and took a big hit as he threw accurately behind the linebacker on his early touchdown pass to Jermaine Gresham. Not long after, Dalton threw the deep ball on rhythm and with solid fundamentals for a 47-yard gain to Marvin Jones. The offensive coach thought Jones had a shot at scoring on the play if only he could have kept his feet. He also noticed Green failing to go full speed on several plays, including on the deep ball Dalton delivered inside the 10-yard line with 6:49 to play.

"My opinion is that any of those kids, once they get in the league, if you don't get them the ball early and get them involved, they could go south on you," the offensive coach said. "Green had two catches [for 23 yards] before halftime. I know this, put on the film and watch that deep ball in the fourth quarter. [Green] comes up the field, then slows, turns, sees it coming, speeds up and still has him beat and should catch it, but he tries to catch it near his belt area instead of catching it high or with firm hands."

Both coaches marked down Dalton significantly for the fumble he lost when diving for additional yardage and for the fourth-quarter interception he threw toward the left sideline on a ball Dalton delivered to the inside without regard for Chargers linebacker Melvin Ingram. The offensive coach suspected Dalton never saw Ingram. He thought a taller quarterback might have had a clearer view, and a more seasoned one would have noticed Ingram widening just before the snap. Dalton also suffered from a few inaccurate throws, as usual, including a third-and-1 bootleg when he badly missed Bernard. The defensive coach also pointed to a poor decision on a throw the Chargers nearly intercepted, this one right before the Dalton fumble. But on the pass picked off by Shareece Wright, it appeared Cincinnati suffered from a breakdown in protection fundamentals -- no excuse for Dalton, but an important factor nonetheless.

"Was that the type of ball-security game you want him to play in wet weather? No," the defensive coach said. "Was it a complete washout? No. He functioned and moved the ball in the offense. It was just a Dalton game, up and down. He played almost three full quarters well, but then all these bad things happened. It kind of defines who he is. The first three quarters are equivalent to the three or four good games he'll have, and then it goes sideways."

The bottom line is that Dalton made some frustrating plays in this game, but football people didn't think this was an all-time choke job requiring an immediate course change at the position. That doesn't mean the Bengals should settle for the status quo either. Their options are straightforward and the clock is already ticking:
Stay the course: In this situation, the Bengals keep Josh Johnson in the No. 2 role or they acquire another marginal backup with zero chance of legitimately competing for the starting job. They simply have faith that Dalton will improve with additional seasoning. I'd list the advantages to this approach if I could think of any.
Draft a project player: Dalton would remain the unchallenged starter for 2014, but the Bengals would protect themselves by drafting a quarterback to serve in a reserve role initially and possibly grow into more, in case Dalton isn't the answer. This was the approach I advocated one month ago and the one I still think makes the most sense.
Make a bold move: The Bengals would draft a quarterback early or acquire a veteran with the pedigree to put Dalton on notice right away. The entire team would know Dalton is on notice, and the best QB would win the job. Sounds great, but no veteran quarterback out there is going to match the 4,293 yards and 33 touchdowns Dalton put up this season, and even if one of them did, he wouldn't project as the long-term answer. Josh McCown turns 35 in July; Michael Vick will be 34 in June.

The Bengals hold the 24th overall choice in the 2014 draft. They used the 35th pick of the 2011 draft for Dalton, who now has a 30-21 starting record while ranking 10th in touchdown passes (81) and second in interceptions (55) since entering the league. Those figures count playoffs; so should the Bengals when deciding what to do next.

Cutler vs. Dalton: Last 51 Starts
QB Cutler Dalton
Source: ESPN Stats & Information
W-L 31-20 30-21
Comp. 899 1,062
Att. 1,513 1,753
Pct. .594 .606
Yards 10,952 12,078
Yards/attempt 7.2 6.9
TD 71 81
INT 49 55
Passer rating 83.9 83.6
Sack pct. 7.7 5.6
Total QBR 51.8 48.9 Dalton is entering his contract year at a time when productive starters with weak playoff credentials are commanding $18 million a year or more. Jay Cutler and Tony Romo come to mind as examples. It sounds silly after what happened Sunday, but if Cutler gets $18 million with a 1-1 playoff record, what is Dalton worth? The chart on the right compares Dalton's numbers through 51 career starts to the numbers for Cutler over his most recent 51 starts. You don't have to be Dalton's agent to see where this conversation is headed. The Bengals need a fallback.

"I think the Bengals try to re-sign Dalton," the GM said. "You put some pretty significant incentives in there where you say, 'We like you and want to stick by you and here is some cash, but here is what you have to do to earn bigger cash.'"

The GM said he wouldn't want to give Dalton the type of contract Cutler received. He cringed when I told him how closely the Cutler-Dalton statistics lined up over their past 51 games.

The situation in Cincinnati could change for Dalton if his offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden, lands a head-coaching job this offseason. Gruden has been Dalton's most vocal advocate in the organization since the Bengals drafted him. A new coordinator could bring a fresh perspective and could also increase the likelihood that the team will ultimately head in another direction at quarterback. But it's unrealistic to think the Bengals would have a different starter next season.

"When everybody starts throwing stones at Andy Dalton, you can say, 'OK, who do you want to play with, then?'" the GM said. "Philip Rivers is on a team. Tom Brady is on a team. Drew Brees is on a team. Where are you going to go? Teddy Bridgewater? Is that who you want to get? OK. You cannot pull these guys out of your pocket. If you have a guy, you go with him and hope he gets better and put guys around him."

No one realistically expected Dalton to be a dynamic quarterback; he ranked 15th this season in both passer rating and Total QBR. He was 20th in both as a rookie in 2011. That is progress. The Bengals have talented young skill players around him. They need to fortify the middle of their offensive line (Dalton finished the game Sunday with 12 dropbacks on which he strayed from the pocket, five more than he had in any game previously this season). The offensive coach thought Cincinnati could use more dynamic options at slot receiver.

The Bengals might need another quarterback too, but not right now. The offensive coach spelled out my feelings exactly: If you're going to bring in a veteran to compete, you have to be willing to give up on Dalton if he has a rough preseason. And that wouldn't help anyone.

"This year, you don't draft a quarterback real high, but you take a guy that jumps out at you, where you say he's like Nick Foles or someone like that -- someone you have a good feeling about and can get without taking him early," the offensive coach said. "And then if you don't get that guy this year, you have to move up to take a guy next year. In the meantime, Dalton is your guy. You have to bet he gets better. I think he got better this season, and you could see that in going 8-0 at home and playing with a lot more confidence. You still have to decide whether he is serviceable or Super Bowl or somewhere in between, and how much better can he be? Those are fair questions."

Archived