Dalton is the man?

Bready is the greatest QB

I actually think Marino was the better QB.  His success was his downfall.  He won too many games with pure talent which kept an out of touch Don Shula at the helm for WAY TOO LONG.  Marino plays for San Fransissyco or Washington during that time and he gets multiple rings easy.

I actually think Marino was the better QB.  His success was his downfall.  He won too many games with pure talent which kept an out of touch Don Shula at the helm for WAY TOO LONG.  Marino plays for San Fransissyco or Washington during that time and he gets multiple rings easy.

Yeah, but he didn't.  Brady > *

Haven't won a thing since Spygate???!!! Seriously?

Since spygate (2007) here is what they have done:

72-24 in the regular season.  We were 46-49-1

Won 1 AFC Championship.  We have zero

Have won 4 playoff games.  We have zero  (0-4)

God I wish we had sucked as bad as the Patriots the last 6 years.

BTW, the call against the Raiders was the right call based on the rules at that time.  Here was the rule at the time which no longer exists.

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.

Sorry Sir I meant a SB...and let's not forget they cheated  

Andy Dalton & Marvin Lewis.

Teachers of Life Lessons:

"I finally got cable installed in my basement office, just in time to watch the Bengals collapse in the first round of the playoffs for the third consecutive year. 27-10, Chargers win. It was a pleasure to watch this happen in the comfort of my home, and that’s the main thing I have to say about it. Play of the game: Phil Simms ascribing the Bengals’ mounting difficulties to “the lack of Christmas — crispness by their offense.” You can keep “elite” and “momentum”; my new favorite meaningless football word is “crispness.”

“I mean, it wasn’t entirely Dalton’s fault, right?” I said to Heinrich Hertz a few days later. Hertz shook his head.

“It was basically entirely his fault,” he said. “He was 90 percent responsible for them losing the game.”

I said something noncommittal about how the whole offense seemed to have gone aphasic and vapor-locked after the second quarter; Hertz shook his head again. “No,” he said. “There are 46 players on the team and nobody did more than he did to lose that game.”

Someone had asked me if I was mad at Andy Dalton; that’s how the conversation started. The truth is I wasn’t. I’ve been working on letting go of anger. I’m becoming convinced that Dalton and his most unwavering advocate, Marvin Lewis, were put on this planet to teach me to do that."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/i-suck-at-football-week-18-the-barrel-of-fun-room/

I've been as hard as on Dalton as anyone (probably harder), but I'm starting to slowly come around.  Not because I'm gonna drink the Ginger Kool-aid (still have plenty of doubts) - my reason is Hue Jackson.  The more I read, the more I believe that Hue may just be good enough to overcome the flaws.  Gonna have to make some changes along the OL if they're gonna be a dominant run unit.  I also would like to see Hue install a shock collar with remote and administer a "slight correction" every time AD forgets what color uniform he's throwing to, but the NFLPA might have something to say about that.

And then he shits the bed again, and the supporters say, "Uhhh NEW OFFENSE! He had a new offense! He needs another 3 years!"

FML

And per Hue Jackson a lot of those interceptions were due to a miscommunication between the QB and WR due to the giant confusion created by Gruden.

Not sure if you're being serious but it really did seem like a good number of interceptions were some sort of miscommunication.

while I agree with this, got a link to that quote?

I think this is an assumption and an attempt to read more into Hues's comments than Hue intended. I have heard no such quote but have heard many comments about reducing the complexity of the offense.

If you know its going to happen why do you even watch? Why dont you just go straight from the 2014 draft threads to the 2015 draft threads? It would make a lot of people a lot happier.

Watch what the games or you guys? I was referring to the 2nd part built in excuses for if things dont turn out how we want them.

'Playoff Andy' may actually be a normal QB

January, 14, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- Eight days ago, it was easy to point a finger at Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton and declare him the primary culprit behind the team's third consecutive first-round playoff exit in as many seasons.

After all, his right arm was the one that threw the two second-half interceptions in the wild-card round loss to San Diego. Right before them, it was his right elbow that wasn't strong enough to keep the football tucked on a dive into slick turf. Like the interceptions, the resulting fumble became one of the three turnovers that came in an error-filled half that allowed the Chargers to race past the Bengals and into last week's divisional round.
As bad as those plays were, though -- and bear with me here -- maybe they were just a normal part of the process for a young player who could be close to grasping this whole NFL quarterback thing. Maybe Dalton's apparent postseason ineptitude shouldn't be alarming. Maybe he's just going through the normal stages of development of a possible star on the rise.

According to this year's preseason narrative, though, his star was supposed to have already hit its brightest stage of luminescence. Instead of the Chargers winning a first-round playoff contest, the Bengals were supposed to be the ones who moved one step closer to reaching the game many had predicted they would: the Super Bowl.

Back in those innocent late-August days, there was a belief that after back-to-back abysmal playoff showings, this year would be different. Dalton would learn from his mistakes and grow another year into his quarterback development. An already good Bengals defense was better and more experienced, too. Hopes were high in the Queen City that combination would give Bengals fans something to genuinely celebrate. After 22 years of being teased by their pro sports franchises, the fans' generation of postseason horror seemed close to coming to an end.

Lo and behold, though, "Playoff Andy" showed up. He's an offshoot of "Bad Andy," the player who often appears when the stage gets big and the bright lights come on. Both are polar opposites of "Good Andy," the version of Dalton nicknamed as such because of the type of stellar play that allowed him to earn AFC player of the month honors in October.

It is because of the latter version that Bengals coach Marvin Lewis declared one day after Cincinnati's playoff defeat that the third-year quarterback remain his man.

"I believe in his abilities, I believe in his makeup, I believe in his maturity," Lewis said in a news conference last Monday.

Now that time has allowed for calm to settle around the Bengals, let's pause for a moment and take a look at whatever it is Lewis might see.

It's patience.

"We ask him to do a lot," Lewis continued. "We're comparing him to guys that have been in the league for a long time, and he's doing a lot. Some of them didn't play [as early as] when he played."

Unlike Lewis, I'm far from the conductor's car of the stay-patient-with-Dalton train, but I can understand why he's so ardently engineering it. Aside from the obvious (Dalton is his quarterback; the one he drafted in the second round in 2011), there's this:

Dalton isn't the only quarterback to have lost three straight playoff games to start a career.

Eventual Super Bowl winner and one of the stars of this weekend's AFC championship, Peyton Manning, did, too. So did Matt Ryan. Same with Randall Cunningham, Bobby Hebert, Steve Grogan and Bert Jones. No quarterback has ever lost four postseason games to start a career, though.

Here's some favorable evidence for Dalton to show why that may not happen. Looking specifically at Ryan and Manning, the most recent quarterbacks on that list, you can see that a light flicks on in a major way by playoff game No. 4.

After three straight sub-200-yard passing performances, Ryan was a different man by Game 4. Manning, who couldn't complete more than 53 percent of his passes in his first three playoff games, was nearly unstoppable, posting an 84.6 percent completion rating in his fourth postseason game; one that came against his current team in 2003. Could Dalton see a similar fourth-game turnaround?

Maybe we'll see next January.

Below are statistics from Manning and Ryan's first four playoff games. As he nears the end of his 16th season, Manning has a 10-11 playoff record entering this weekend's contest. Ryan, who lost his fifth playoff game in a thrilling NFC championship last year, is 1-4 in the postseason. A playoff Game 4 victory came in Ryan's fifth season and Manning's sixth.

Peyton Manning's first four playoff games
Season Result Comp. % Yards TDs INTs Passer Rating
1999 Lost to TEN 45.2 227 0 0 62.3
2000 Lost to MIA 53.1 194 1 0 82.0
2002 Lost to NYJ 45.2 137 0 2 31.2
2003 Won vs. DEN 84.6 377 5 0 158.3

Matt Ryan's first four playoff games
Season Result Comp. % Yards TDs INTs Passer Rating
2008 Lost to ARI 65.0 199 2 2 72.8
2010 Lost to GB 69.0 186 1 2 69.0
2011 Lost to NYG 58.5 199 0 0 71.1
2012 Won vs. SEA 68.6 250 3 2 93.8