Assuming no big changes, what do you do to improve this team?

1. Run the ball more. More running = less mistakes by Andy. Good teams use 3 good backs often: San Fran, New Orleans, Carolina, Green Bay, Denver, Kansas City, San Diego, etc . We have 1.5 good backs. BJGE would be fine as a #3 back getting 5 carries a game. We need a guy who can pound it 25 times, be effective doing it, and offer some sort of ability as a receiver. Passing 50 times a game is not working. I would like to get a free agent running back or use a 3rd/4th round pick on a back.

2. Invest in the o-line. Re-sign Collins to be the LT and find a center, whether it be Pollak or a draft pick. Cook is getting worse every season it seems.

3. Add a new defensive end and corner in the draft. Michael Johnson will probably not be re-signed. Geathers will be back but he's no longer a pass rusher. We need a stable of pass rushers ready to go. The pass rush will no doubt get better once Atkins is back but it was severely lacking at times this season. At corner we have Newman and Jones, both are nearing the end of their career. Hall is coming off his second achilles surgery. I think Kirkpatrick will be ok but we need another guy.

Here's a quick mock and offseason for shits and giggles:

1. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State - Great cover corner who is also a dynamic kick returner.

2. DE Scott Crichton, Oregon State - Relentless pass rusher who isn't an elite athlete but gets the job done.

3. RB Jeremy Hill, LSU - Has character concerns but is a big bruising back with some speed and can also be a weapon in the passing game.

4. C Marcus Martin, USC - Big, mean, tough and smart.

Re-sign Collins, Pollak, Mays

Sign WR Denario Alexander. He's tore his ACL a few times but he is a frickin monster when healthy. He should be cheap coming off of injury.

Extend Green and Dalton. I know Dalton isn't real popular right now but he is the QB of this team. He was really damn good for a lot of the season. I think if we re-commit to the run game he will improve.

QB - Given Dalton another year - I saw him improve in a number of areas, but he took the "be more aggressive" mantra too far. Too careless. Some of it's on him, some on the play calling… whatever. Also bring in a more seasoned vet (read: not Josh Johnson), both as a guy who could step in if needed (let's face it - Andy has played pretty much every snap since he's been here - that typically doesn't happen for a starting QB, regardless of talent level), and as a guy who can provide a sounding board for Andy on what's happening on the field, etc. Someone like Moore in Miami. And I'd draft one - I always think you should draft a QB, even if in the later rounds.  

RB - Gio needs to be out there more - having a year of experience will help. That said, I like what BJGE brings, and I'd keep him around. I'd get Burkhead some touches, too… I think he's a blend of the two - quicker than BJGE, bigger than Gio, good receiving and solid in pass pro. And while Peerman did some good things, I can see him gone next year, and Rex taking his spot on special teams. I think Rex will be more of a factor in 2014. 

WR - Other than Marvin Jones, I didn't see a lot of improvement in this crew. AJ has to be more of a factor, more consistently. More physical… his tendency to half-ass some contestable balls was a disappointment to me. They've gotta figure out what they have in Sanu, and what his role is/will be. Is he a slot guy, and if so, where does Baby Hawk and Sanzenbacher fit? They need another speed/separation guy. Cobi Hamilton may be it - he's big, fast… but he obviously wasn't ready this year. I'd like to see another playmaker drafted here. 

TE - Eifert showed *some* of what he could do - I think he could be a Jason Witten-type of weapon - he's got the physical ability, and hands to be a huge factor. Too often, he wasn't. Gresham is what he is - awesome physical talent who loses focus at times, but still in all is an excellent all-around TE.

OL - I've always liked Collins - I'd like for them to look to re-sign him, but not sure how much $ that will require. If they're able to keep him, Whit's your LG and at C, I'd put Cook, Robinson, and Pollak in the competition and see who wins. Zeitler, I felt, struggled this year more than I expected - yes, the injury late didn't help, but he's got to be better. You've got some solid depth in Boling, Robinson, Hawkinson, TJ Johnson, etc., but if a highly-rated OL comes to you in the draft, I'd strongly consider it. 

DL - As the year progressed, the lack of interior pass rush (Geno) showed itself, and it affected the ends, too. I like MJ, but I don't think he's a difference maker and I could see him gone. Dunlap has to do more, consistently. I could see Geathers coming back (underrated 2013 loss, IMO), and between him, Gilberry and Hunt, they can make up for MJ. I like the DT rotation with (fingers crossed) a healthy Geno and a healthy Still, along with Peko and Brandon Thompson, whom I think did a solid job overall. 

LB - Having Harrison around was good from a maturity/mentoring perspective, but he's done, IMO. Vinny Rey was one of the great stories of 2013 - not sure of his contract status, but I'd try to bring him back. I'd like to see them move VB inside, and between V Rey, Rey M, Lamur, Porter, and someone I'd look to draft, I'd take the best other two. In Lamur, V Rey, and Mays, you've got some versatility and ability to play good pass coverage. 

DB - I'm a big Leon fan, but expecting a guy to come in and play at a high level from the jump is probably a reach (although he did it once). Obviously, Dre needs to figure out the double move (!), but I thought he showed some good things late in the year, and not sure if Newman's back or not (depends partially on Zim). Adam Jones is a solid backup, but that's it. Ghee has been a disappointment - not sure if there's anything there, and it'll be interesting to see if McCalebb shows anything this spring/sumer. The safeties were solid - I'd look for Shawn Williams to be more of a factor, in the mix with Iloka who was pretty decent in his first season.  Given the status of Hall and Newman's advancing age, I'd look at CB as one of the major needs. I like Dennard the most, but a few others are Justin Gilbert (also an excellent returner), and Jason Verrett, who's smallish but a good cover guy. I've seen him play several times at TCU, and he's feisty. 

ST - Huber was having his best year, and I thought that Nugent was solid - no upgrades needed. I've defended Tate in the past, and during the regular season, I thought he made several momentum-changing returns in games. But I thought he was way too tentative in the playoff game, and I'd like to see someone come in and at least provide some stiff competition. 

Coaches - hard to say what will happen with Zim and Gruden, but I expect one will be gone, and I'm thinking it'll be Gruden. If that happens, I'd like to see Hue as OC, and I'm not sure what it means for other Assistants… but I wouldn't be sad to see Alexander, Urban, and Jon Hayes gone. 

1. Run the ball more. More running = less mistakes by Andy. Good teams use 3 good backs often: San Fran, New Orleans, Carolina, Green Bay, Denver, Kansas City, San Diego, etc . We have 1.5 good backs. BJGE would be fine as a #3 back getting 5 carries a game. We need a guy who can pound it 25 times, be effective doing it, and offer some sort of ability as a receiver. Passing 50 times a game is not working. I would like to get a free agent running back or use a 3rd/4th round pick on a back.

2. Invest in the o-line. Re-sign Collins to be the LT and find a center, whether it be Pollak or a draft pick. Cook is getting worse every season it seems.

3. Add a new defensive end and corner in the draft. Michael Johnson will probably not be re-signed. Geathers will be back but he's no longer a pass rusher. We need a stable of pass rushers ready to go. The pass rush will no doubt get better once Atkins is back but it was severely lacking at times this season. At corner we have Newman and Jones, both are nearing the end of their career. Hall is coming off his second achilles surgery. I think Kirkpatrick will be ok but we need another guy.

Here's a quick mock and offseason for shits and giggles:

1. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State - Great cover corner who is also a dynamic kick returner.

2. DE Scott Crichton, Oregon State - Relentless pass rusher who isn't an elite athlete but gets the job done.

3. RB Jeremy Hill, LSU - Has character concerns but is a big bruising back with some speed and can also be a weapon in the passing game.

4. C Marcus Martin, USC - Big, mean, tough and smart.

Re-sign Collins, Pollak, Mays

Sign WR Denario Alexander. He's tore his ACL a few times but he is a frickin monster when healthy. He should be cheap coming off of injury.

Extend Green and Dalton. I know Dalton isn't real popular right now but he is the QB of this team. He was really damn good for a lot of the season. I think if we re-commit to the run game he will improve.

Nice post.  I agree with almost everything.

QB - Given Dalton another year - I saw him improve in a number of areas, but he took the "be more aggressive" mantra too far. Too careless. Some of it's on him, some on the play calling… whatever. Also bring in a more seasoned vet (read: not Josh Johnson), both as a guy who could step in if needed (let's face it - Andy has played pretty much every snap since he's been here - that typically doesn't happen for a starting QB, regardless of talent level), and as a guy who can provide a sounding board for Andy on what's happening on the field, etc. Someone like Moore in Miami. And I'd draft one - I always think you should draft a QB, even if in the later rounds.  

RB - Gio needs to be out there more - having a year of experience will help. That said, I like what BJGE brings, and I'd keep him around. I'd get Burkhead some touches, too… I think he's a blend of the two - quicker than BJGE, bigger than Gio, good receiving and solid in pass pro. And while Peerman did some good things, I can see him gone next year, and Rex taking his spot on special teams. I think Rex will be more of a factor in 2014. 

WR - Other than Marvin Jones, I didn't see a lot of improvement in this crew. AJ has to be more of a factor, more consistently. More physical… his tendency to half-ass some contestable balls was a disappointment to me. They've gotta figure out what they have in Sanu, and what his role is/will be. Is he a slot guy, and if so, where does Baby Hawk and Sanzenbacher fit? They need another speed/separation guy. Cobi Hamilton may be it - he's big, fast… but he obviously wasn't ready this year. I'd like to see another playmaker drafted here. 

TE - Eifert showed *some* of what he could do - I think he could be a Jason Witten-type of weapon - he's got the physical ability, and hands to be a huge factor. Too often, he wasn't. Gresham is what he is - awesome physical talent who loses focus at times, but still in all is an excellent all-around TE.

OL - I've always liked Collins - I'd like for them to look to re-sign him, but not sure how much $ that will require. If they're able to keep him, Whit's your LG and at C, I'd put Cook, Robinson, and Pollak in the competition and see who wins. Zeitler, I felt, struggled this year more than I expected - yes, the injury late didn't help, but he's got to be better. You've got some solid depth in Boling, Robinson, Hawkinson, TJ Johnson, etc., but if a highly-rated OL comes to you in the draft, I'd strongly consider it. 

DL - As the year progressed, the lack of interior pass rush (Geno) showed itself, and it affected the ends, too. I like MJ, but I don't think he's a difference maker and I could see him gone. Dunlap has to do more, consistently. I could see Geathers coming back (underrated 2013 loss, IMO), and between him, Gilberry and Hunt, they can make up for MJ. I like the DT rotation with (fingers crossed) a healthy Geno and a healthy Still, along with Peko and Brandon Thompson, whom I think did a solid job overall. 

LB - Having Harrison around was good from a maturity/mentoring perspective, but he's done, IMO. Vinny Rey was one of the great stories of 2013 - not sure of his contract status, but I'd try to bring him back. I'd like to see them move VB inside, and between V Rey, Rey M, Lamur, Porter, and someone I'd look to draft, I'd take the best other two. In Lamur, V Rey, and Mays, you've got some versatility and ability to play good pass coverage. 

DB - I'm a big Leon fan, but expecting a guy to come in and play at a high level from the jump is probably a reach (although he did it once). Obviously, Dre needs to figure out the double move (!), but I thought he showed some good things late in the year, and not sure if Newman's back or not (depends partially on Zim). Adam Jones is a solid backup, but that's it. Ghee has been a disappointment - not sure if there's anything there, and it'll be interesting to see if McCalebb shows anything this spring/sumer. The safeties were solid - I'd look for Shawn Williams to be more of a factor, in the mix with Iloka who was pretty decent in his first season.  Given the status of Hall and Newman's advancing age, I'd look at CB as one of the major needs. I like Dennard the most, but a few others are Justin Gilbert (also an excellent returner), and Jason Verrett, who's smallish but a good cover guy. I've seen him play several times at TCU, and he's feisty. 

ST - Huber was having his best year, and I thought that Nugent was solid - no upgrades needed. I've defended Tate in the past, and during the regular season, I thought he made several momentum-changing returns in games. But I thought he was way too tentative in the playoff game, and I'd like to see someone come in and at least provide some stiff competition. 

Coaches - hard to say what will happen with Zim and Gruden, but I expect one will be gone, and I'm thinking it'll be Gruden. If that happens, I'd like to see Hue as OC, and I'm not sure what it means for other Assistants… but I wouldn't be sad to see Alexander, Urban, and Jon Hayes gone. 

Back to back, another solid post.  Very well thought out.

Restructure Whitworth's contract and extend it so he can retire a Bengal, pay him LG money.

Sign ac to a 3 year deal around 21-24 million.

Draft Hyde in the 1st and just pound the living daylights out of the football.

Let MJ93 walk we draft Hunt in the 2nd round it's time to put him out there in a rotation with Dunlap and Gilberry.

Draft defense in rounds 2 and 3, keep making us stringer there.

Look for a speedy deep threat in later rounds.

Draft Jakeem Grant in the 4th round in 2015.

Good post.  The only thing I would like to do is to grab a bruiser back (Carlos Hyde like) for more pounding the rock.  I just don't think BJGE has much left in the tank and it hurt us at times.  You can get a bigger HB later in the draft and should be an easy role to fill.  This would take the place of peerman on the roster and give us a much more serviceable back - and one that actually plays.  A north/south Icky woods/eddie george type back with some youth is a perfect fit with Gio and I would be pretty happy if they went that way later in the draft.  If you go by last year, no backs were even picked in the 1st so it is likely that we can find a very big value back with a 4th or later.  Youth in the run game would be a very welcome addition on offense as we saw this year with Gio.  In this scenario you keep BJGE for mentoring and for change of pace or for in place of injuries (yipe).  Thanks for sharing your insight it was a good read.  

Id do whatever it takes to keep making the OL better. Not that the Oline was bad, but it can improve like most areas of the team and I think it is probably the most important. Dalton can obviously play great when his oline does, but unfortunately at this point in his career he isnt able to when the oline struggles. THe elite QBs can, but most cant and right now andy is in the most category. 

Id also keep upgrading the front 7 on the D. Atkins alone should do that, but they can keep improving on the DL and LBs. Maybe replace Mauluaga with a real playmaker at LB, even though I dont think Rey was as bad as in the past.

Pressuring the QB and protecting the QB is what wins games for teams without elite QBs.

Id also probably look to upgrade BJGE. Maybe a guy like carlos hyde, but im sure there are other guys that could as well.

Better run game + top notch OL + continued improved pass rush will make this team better.

Also guys continuing to get better, Gio, Eifert, Marvin, etc will make this O better. 

This team is still in good shape. Obviously Marvin and Dalton are going to have to prove they can win big games for it to matter, but as hard as it is to believe now, its do-able.

As a quick sidebar, did anyone notice how throughout the year, Zeitler, for the most part, was below average?

If Marvin is here, were going nowhere. That's been proven.

Except for the playoffs 3 straight years with a team where most of the players have been in the league for 3 years or less. Yeah, what a bum. God knows he's the first HC to have a hard time getting over a playoff hump. We should definitely fire him because I'm sure Mike Brown would give his replacement more room to operate. Maybe he could promote Paul Alexander from assistant HC, they go way back.

quote name="bengals8580" post="1325247" timestamp="1389103105"]

If Marvin is here, were going nowhere. That's been proven.[/quote]

Except for the playoffs 3 straight years with a team where most of the players have been in the league for 3 years or less. Yeah, what a bum. God knows he's the first HC to have a hard time getting over a playoff hump. We should definitely fire him because I'm sure Mike Brown would give his replacement more room to operate. Maybe he could promote Paul Alexander from assistant HC, they go way back.

X2... I remember all the rumblings in the circa 07 era about how mediocre Marvin would never get us back into the playoffs even with all this offensive talent and superstar QB. Now we're a playoff fixture and mediocre Marvin can do no better...

X2... I remember all the rumblings in the circa 07 era about how mediocre Marvin would never get us back into the playoffs even with all this offensive talent and superstar QB. Now we're a playoff fixture and mediocre Marvin can do no better...

Funny how many people think the answer to winning a playoff game is to get rid of the QB and HC, like a rookie QB and new HC are likely to even sniff the postseason. It seems like for a lot of people being a Bengals fan means expecting something bad to happen yet acting shocked and outraged when eventually it does?

I think in order to get to the next level, this team needs to run the ball more and effectively and they also need another playmaker in the back 7.  

I would like Hyde if he somehow found us in the second round.  Big guy with some speed.  Can also catch the ball out of the backfield it seems.  I think they need to find a SAM/DE hybrid that can get after the quarterback.  We saw some flashes of big plays from Vinnie, but we need a ball hawk behind our front four.  

Like it was mentioned, run the ball effectively and commit less turnovers.  It was the formula the Chiefs used this year and IMO we already have a better team than them.  

Funny how many people think the answer to winning a playoff game is to get rid of the QB and HC, like a rookie QB and new HC are likely to even sniff the postseason. It seems like for a lot of people being a Bengals fan means expecting something bad to happen yet acting shocked and outraged when eventually it does?

I'd be more than fine with keeping Dalton if we got a  new HC and OC. I understand that 3 years is a very short sample size, especially at the beginning of the QBs life. But Dalton, under this current team's leadership, is not getting it done. Dalton's only had 3 years. Marvin has had 11. He just got beat up by a rookie HC in the playoffs. How the hell can you say we wouldn't even sniff the postseason? I don't care if we have to rebuild for a fucking year anyways. We KNOW what we're getting with Marvin. We all know, man.

LOL. 11 years, man. 11 fucking years. Thats it. Spew whatever bullshit excuse  you want. 11 YEARS

The last 3 of which are under a brand new organizational structure and philosophy, with plenty of new coaches. We may as well have had a new HC in 2011 - better it was Marvin that actually effected change from the top down than some new guy who wouldn't have been able to sway Mike Brown from doing stupid shit like drafting Ryan Mallett in the first round.

I'd also be looking for a difference maker return man whether its McCalebb or in the draft. Tate did well (the Bengals actually finished 5th in KR return average), but isn't a difference maker like a Holiday.

I thought Tate was pretty good, but wanting an upgrade - plus more at CB is why Justin Gilbert is at the top of my wish list board come this May.

The last 3 of which are under a brand new organizational structure and philosophy, with plenty of new coaches. We may as well have had a new HC in 2011 - better it was Marvin that actually effected change from the top down than some new guy who wouldn't have been able to sway Mike Brown from doing stupid shit like drafting Ryan Mallett in the first round.

"No excuses." - Marvin Lewis, 2013.

Marvin's on the last year of his contract, I don't have a problem with giving him one more year. I've seen too many other teams have to beat their head against that postseason wall before eventually breaking through it. It's not nearly as egregious as it's being made out to be.

Yeah, I really don't have too much of a problem with giving Marv another year. I just don't want to hear the shitty fucking excuses for him choking this year again. Him and Andy and everyone involved need to admit that they shit the bed absolutely and completely. Just come clean. Stop being so candid in interviews and acting like you're so above the questions you've been asked. You haven't won shit, man. You don't deserve to act that way to the media or to the fans who would like to know the answers to those questions.

I will be absolutely disgusted, however, if we miss the playoffs or if we make it and lose first round again and he is extended.

Archived