Assuming no big changes, what do you do to improve this team?

Marvin's on the last year of his contract, I don't have a problem with giving him one more year. I've seen too many other teams have to beat their head against that postseason wall before eventually breaking through it. It's not nearly as egregious as it's being made out to be.

I think it's a symptom of playing in this division. Fans want success like the Steelers and Ravens and yet don't realize that most teams in the NFL would actually just like to be more like the Bengals and have post season experience with a super young team.

I think it's a symptom of playing in this division. Fans want success like the Steelers and Ravens and yet don't realize that most teams in the NFL would actually just like to be more like the Bengals and have post season experience with a super young team.

That is true, and it is also testament to how well the Bengals have drafted. We have a roster full of youngsters already with post season experience......"and that's a good thing".

Yeah, I really don't have too much of a problem with giving Marv another year. I just don't want to hear the shitty fucking excuses for him choking this year again. Him and Andy and everyone involved need to admit that they shit the bed absolutely and completely. Just come clean. Stop being so candid in interviews and acting like you're so above the questions you've been asked. You haven't won shit, man. You don't deserve to act that way to the media or to the fans who would like to know the answers to those questions.

I will be absolutely disgusted, however, if we miss the playoffs or if we make it and lose first round again and he is extended.

I agree with most of this, but I guess where I am of different opinions of some is that even if there are no excuses this year, doesn't mean the results will be the same next year.

Essentially what I mean is through 3 years has dalton shown the ability to be clutch and win a playoff game? Obviously not. Does that mean he never will? Some say yes, I say TBD.

Doesn't excuse his performance this year but also doesn't mean his performance next year will be the same. I saw things that dalton did well in this game that he never did in 2011 and 2012s playoff games. He went from having 0 good quarters in two playoff games to having one really good half.

Don't get me wrong, that's not enough. But it is a little progress. Hopefully his 2014 progress will be bigger.

Does the playoff/big game failure suck? Big time. But damn it's hard not to like what this team has done in the past 3 years. We've gone from quitters and doormats and premier FAs bolting to stellar drafting, constant playoff berths, and higher expectations. I am not in favor of blowing that up. If this thing grows like it has for the past 3 years, we're talking about our divisional round opponent after a playoff bye week next year. It's not about catching lightning in a bottle just to make the playoffs anymore, and that's something a huge part of the NFL doesn't even have.

LOL. My worst fear is Dalton leaving and just blossoming into a HOF QB. If he was more humble about his shortcomings and willing to take the blame instead of just pushing it all around the plate, I'd be happy to have his back more. But, at least in front of the media, it doesn't seem like he feels he played that bad. Even after the 4 pick fuckfest against the Ravens, which got swept under the rug because we won, he didn't really seem to give 2 shits about his own inepitude that game. I dunno, man.. how long do you wait for your QB to evolve? You can't just point to QBs like Farve and Kenny and assume that Dalton's on his way to that level of greatness. Sometimes QBs that struggle early on struggle because they're just not good. What do we have with Andy?

LOL. My worst fear is Dalton leaving and just blossoming into a HOF QB. If he was more humble about his shortcomings and willing to take the blame instead of just pushing it all around the plate, I'd be happy to have his back more. But, at least in front of the media, it doesn't seem like he feels he played that bad. Even after the 4 pick fuckfest against the Ravens, which got swept under the rug because we won, he didn't really seem to give 2 shits about his own inepitude that game. I dunno, man.. how long do you wait for your QB to evolve? You can't just point to QBs like Farve and Kenny and assume that Dalton's on his way to that level of greatness. Sometimes QBs that struggle early on struggle because they're just not good. What do we have with Andy?

I honestly haven't watched his post game interview from Sunday that has gotten buzz, but prior to that I've never once seen Dalton push blame on to another player or group of players.

I think this feeling is way blown out of proportion because we're all pissed. Honestly I think Andy is just a fucking doofus when it comes to the media. He certainly doesn't interview worth a shit, he just regurgitates coachspeak. I doubt that has any real bearing about what he really feels, or what is going on behind closed doors.

Ken Anderson, who a lot of people think should be in the Hall of Fame, did not win his first playoff game until 1981.  His first year starting was 1972.

There was only 1 wild card team then and he played in a division with the roided up 4 time SuperBowl champs. The Browns were better run back then too. 

My preference would be a new head coach and QB but for purposes of this exercise here are things the team could do to improve.

Fire Paul Alexander. Bring in a new O-line coach. Could be getting an old guy out of retirement (McNally, Houck, Gibbs, etc) or someone new. Maybe the Auburn O-line coach?

Team currently has about 15.5 mil in cap space for 2014.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap-hit/2014/

There are several guys on non-rookie deals who could be replaced to increase cap space. They would be Maualuga (1.6 mil), Geathers (2.7 mil), Cook (1.42 mil), BJGE (2.5 mil), and Josh Johnson (880K). That's about another 7 mil. Extra space could be created by cutting those guys after June 1 and spreading the dead money over 2 years.

Here's a list of our 2014 free agents.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/

Collins and MJ are the only ones in line for big paydays. But we need to think about extensions for guys like Burfict, Gresham, Peko, and Dalton. 

We shouldn't tag anyone. We can match reasonable offers for Collins or MJ. We should definitely be looking at adding Alex Mack. Whitworth is signed through 2015 and we need to figure out if he continues at LG or LT. Hawkinson and Boling were college tackles. Are they quick enough to handle NFL edge rushers? Strong enough? It's unfortunate we lost Fragel because he had good feet. Alexander liked Hawkinson better so let's see if he's good enough to be Whit's heir. We definitely need a better veteran backup QB. We should sign a McCown, Henne, McCoy, or Hill.

We'll draft 23rd in the first round. There won't be any sure fire QBs, LTs, DEs, or CBs there. But we should be able to find a good player at one of those positions who can be developed. I'd like to find a better LG than Boling. Maybe Cyril Richardson in the 2nd. Hyde in the 3rd or another big back who is more dynamic than BJGE. We should go with 3 TEs and a fullback rather than 4 TEs next year. I don't see any centers who are upgrades from Cook so we'll need a vet there. 

Okay, putting on my Madden hat, here's how I'd fix it.

After the egg they laid on Sunday, the only way to get this city to get excited is if they just start beating the shit out of people. Kind of like Seattle, Denver and San Fran do. Not winning close games or anything like that. Beating the shit out of everyone. Conversation at work on Mondays needs to be "Did you see the Bengals game yesterday?" "Pssh. Why would I waste my time on them?" "Oh, I don't know, they're just beating the shit out of everyone. They're fun to watch."

OUT: Josh Johnson

IN: Matt Cassell or Matt Flynn

Why? Just to have a capable backup.

OUT: Benjarvis Green-Ellis

IN: Maurice Jones Drew

Ellis and his 2 yard gain's weren't helping this team. Jones Drew is a free agent and wants a shot at a championship. He can catch and can still make guys miss - unlike BJGE. Drew and Gio splitting it 55-45% keeps them both fresh.

IN: John Conner

Cutting him was a mistake. Making Orson go from TE to FB to Special Teams only was a mistake. Move Orson back to TE and get John Conner in here. We're going to run the goddamned ball. 

IN: Anthony Collins

Don't worry about drafting a young OT early. At best, the rookie OT can only do as good as Collins did down the stretch. I'd been saying for years that Collins should be starting. I was one of those "Let Andre walk and put Collins in at RT" guys. Collins is legit and young enough to fill that position for years.

IN: Alex Mack

Obviously not the first guy to suggest this but it makes all the sense in the world. Cook is a bum. There's no must-have guy in the draft. Get the check book out and get Mack. It hurts a division rival and instantly makes an area of weakness into a strength.

I'm running out of time so I'm going to have to make my other moves less theatrical. 

- Move Burfict to MLB

- Resign Vinnie Rey and put him into Burfict's old spot

- Release Devon Still and bring back Pat Sims

- Move Rey over to SAM

- Trade up, give up whatever it takes to get Haha Clinton-Dix 

- Tag Michael Johnson again

- Replace Brandon Tate

There. Plus getting Hall and Atkins back is huge. That's how I'd fix it. 

"It was a disappointing end to a season that felt different," @pauldehnerjr says of #Bengals loss. #BeyondTheStripes pic.twitter.com/VT5L7nhBJT

"The problem to me, what needs fixing, is Andy Dalton's ability to be a big-time quarterback," @EnquirerDoc says. #Bengals #BeyondTheStripes

There's no question we're a better football team than they are -- but we didn't show up, #Bengals' @BigWhit77_fndn says. #BeyondTheStripes

"Don't go home and work on what you're good at." Great life advice from #Bengals' @BigWhit77_fndn on #BeyondTheStripes.

"For the most part, this was a great season and the best record I've had in the NFL" #Bengals' Whitworth says on #BeyondTheStripes

#Bengals @BigWhit77_fndn had a procedure & was supposed to take 4-6 weeks off. He took 10 days. "This is my team." #BeyondTheStripes

"There's nothing too big to me, because I don't allow it to be." More wisdom from #Bengals' @BigWhit77_fndn. #BeyondTheStripes

I think this feeling is way blown out of proportion because we're all pissed. Honestly I think Andy is just a fucking doofus when it comes to the media. He certainly doesn't interview worth a shit, he just regurgitates coachspeak. I doubt that has any real bearing about what he really feels, or what is going on behind closed doors.

I agree. We will never know what goes on behind closed doors, but I sincerely doubt that Andy doesn't recognize his shortcomings... and understand that he has work to do to minimize them going forward. That said, on the off chance that he doesn't, I'm sure that his coaches (Zampese and Gruden) are in his ear about it.

His interviewing is always vanilla and you never get anything from it, even in good times.

---Desperately need a back-up qb who will at least make Dalton have to consider the possibility he might be benched at some point if the mistakes were to resume. Either a veteran with legit starting experience or a high draft pick (or maybe both).

---Need to target a C either in FA or in the draft. A legit C, not a project, not a G transitioning to C, but a real C. Bonus points to whoever that might be if their Wonderlic is off the charts. I prefer my centers be smart as hell. See under Braham, Rich.

---Need a CB either in FA or high in the draft. Age and uncertainty at that position is a problem.

---Need to consider a DE to replace Michael Johnson, either in the draft or FA. Don't need a high dollar one in FA, necessarily, especially if Gino comes back 100%. 

---Need either a new coordinator on offense or more dedication from Gruden to understanding what the offense does well under Dalton (assumes Dalton is likely back) and get REALLY good at those things. Simplify the gameplan for him if need be, if Dalton simply cannot handle the increased responsibility. And it would appear he cannot.

---Among other things.

Hard to imagine why when they were successfully sitting at home successfully working their way through a bag of championship Doritos..

Well its a lot easier to say, "Wait till next year" after polishing your Superbowl ring.  This was our year.   Weak AFC and I felt we had the most or very close to most talent in the conference.  Windows like this don't open very often for any club.

The cold hard fact is most of these players (actually, the offense) has wet the bed in three straight playoff games.  At some point you start to have serious doubts about your ability to play in big games.  Buffalo and Denver in the Super Bowl come to mind.

Buffalo lost 4 straight Super Bowls,  their first l by 1 point.  The next year the Redskins killed them.  The next year Dallas REALLY killed them.  Their last SB they had a 7 point lead at half.  They didn't score in the second half and lost to Dallas again.

Denver much the same.  Lost 3 Super Bowls in 4 years and they got fucking killed in all three.  It wasn't until Shanahan got there and installed a REAL running game that they finally won but keep in mind, almost the entire team and coaching staff had turned over at that point save Elway. 

I think Whit's tweet speaks volumes.  He probably had the same feeling many did  that this was their year to make a run.  He was probably conditioned over the entire year to believe this.  Now he is simply saying that it didn't fucking work so now what?

It's actually been 23 years. January 6th, 1991. 

But who's counting? 

8403 days if you were wondering.  I was sitting on the Iraqi border in an M1 tank awaiting orders and that was a lifetime ago.

For those into math, the probability of NOT winning a playoff game in this span of time is right around 0.2%.  Its not a perfect calculation since there were a few years with less teams but pretty close.  Obviously, a simple calculation doesn't take into account ownership or coaching but you get the drift.

BTW, I just realized that I haven't actually seen the Bengals win a playoff game since Jan 10,1982 or rather 32 years.

In 1988 I was stationed in West Germany doing a border tour and the only game we got to watch was the Super Bowl and in 1991 I was in Iraq and didn't see any games.  I have seen the replays but its quite different when you already know the outcome.

^^^ agree with this with addition of adding a mid to late rd power back. Yes I love Carlos Hyde but this teams has to many needs to draft an early RB

That depends on which of our own free agents we lose.  IF we keep MJ and AC, then IMO we only have 1 early "need", and that is at CB.

Sadly, I won't be surprised to lose both.

That depends on which of our own free agents we lose.  IF we keep MJ and AC, then IMO we only have 1 early "need", and that is at CB.

Sadly, I won't be surprised to lose both.

I definitely see a need for CB.  Hall on his second serious injury, Newman will be 36, Ghee has to be done or certainly can not be relied on and Dre is still getting his feet wet.  Jones is still playing well but that leaves a HUGE amount of questions.

Archived