Peyton Manning

JBandJoeyV

Anybody think there's a chance he retires if he wins the SB this year? He was quoted today as saying "the light is at the end of the tunnel" or something like that. I know that doesnt mean he plans on retiring, but what better way to go out then winning a superbowl and setting all sorts of records?

Thats the definition of going out on top.

I wouldnt be surprised if he wanted to at least tie Brady's super bowl rings though.

Just curious if anyone thinks there is a chance?

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Manning beats Brady this time around. His comeback has been unreal and he's a helluva QB. Like him or not, he's the best technical QB of our generation and it may be a long time before we see another like him. If you get SI, read the "Sportsman Of The Year" article on him. He's amazing, fuck the haters.

I hope Manning beats Brady this time around. His comeback has been unreal and he's a helluva QB. Like him or not, he's the best technical QB of our generation and it may be a long time before we see another like him. If you get SI, read the "Sportsman Of The Year" article on him. He's amazing, fuck the haters.

x100000000 billion...

He's already on record saying he isn't going to retire.  Now - he may, I don't think its likely.  And, I'm not a big Brady fan but for all of you that hate Manning / love Brady or love Manning (me!!!) / hate Brady... we're all going to hate quarterback play when those two retire.

And - for whomever said Seattle eats Manning alive... bear in mind Manning holds the ball just a shade over 2 seconds.  NE has a damn good pass rush and never even laid a finger on him.  He doesn't let the rush get to him.  Seattle better hope they can manufacture pressure that can get there in less than 2.5 seconds or the ball will be gone every time.  AND... I cannot wait for the Demaryius vs. shitbag (I mean Sherman) matchup... I'm not sure if Seattle has him cover whomever or just play a side of the field so don't know if he'll rotate between the receivers.  But, I'm looking really forward to this game.  It's strength against strength.  Denver O vs. Seattle D... Seattle O's strength is Denver D's strength, etc.  I don't see Seattle putting up a bunch of points frankly and they've been very mediocre on the road this year.

Will be interesting.

x100000000 billion...

He's already on record saying he isn't going to retire.  Now - he may, I don't think its likely.  And, I'm not a big Brady fan but for all of you that hate Manning / love Brady or love Manning (me!!!) / hate Brady... we're all going to hate quarterback play when those two retire.

And - for whomever said Seattle eats Manning alive... bear in mind Manning holds the ball just a shade over 2 seconds.  NE has a damn good pass rush and never even laid a finger on him.  He doesn't let the rush get to him.  Seattle better hope they can manufacture pressure that can get there in less than 2.5 seconds or the ball will be gone every time.  AND... I cannot wait for the Demaryius vs. shitbag (I mean Sherman) matchup... I'm not sure if Seattle has him cover whomever or just play a side of the field so don't know if he'll rotate between the receivers.  But, I'm looking really forward to this game.  It's strength against strength.  Denver O vs. Seattle D... Seattle O's strength is Denver D's strength, etc.  I don't see Seattle putting up a bunch of points frankly and they've been very mediocre on the road this year.

Will be interesting.

Agree.  Although I don't see Manning challenging Sherman too much--no reason to.  Manning will always take what's there and won't force it.  He'll throw against Sherman if he has to, but he has plenty of guys who can get open and Sherman's mouth won't make Manning change targets.  Sherman will have to make a big play to get in the stat line (which he is more than capable of doing), but I don't think he will be picked on too much

x100000000 billion...

Will be interesting.

Seattle's secondary is far better than NE's, so Peyton may have to hold on to the ball longer because guys won't be on the short routes. Seattle's DB are very physical and they will not let Denver's WR's get a free release from the line, which will throw off the timing of the routes and make Peyton hold onto the ball longer. 

I think Seattle's pass rush will give Peyton problems and ultimately force him into some mistakes. They forced Kaepernick into 3 second half turnovers because their pass rush and secondary play, I can see the same thing happening to Peyton. 

Seattle's secondary is far better than NE's, so Peyton may have to hold on to the ball longer because guys won't be on the short routes. Seattle's DB are very physical and they will not let Denver's WR's get a free release from the line, which will throw off the timing of the routes and make Peyton hold onto the ball longer. 

I think Seattle's pass rush will give Peyton problems and ultimately force him into some mistakes. They forced Kaepernick into 3 second half turnovers because their pass rush and secondary play, I can see the same thing happening to Peyton. 

Have no doubt it could happen...

But - from a mental standpoint Kaepernick and Manning are on two completely different levels... Manning's receivers overall are a better group than what Kaepernick was throwing to.  If Seattle manages to jam up Demaryius, Decker, Welker, and Julius Thomas consistently then they'll deserve to win the game...

You're right though... Seattle has a much better secondary than NE does.  I'm a huge Manning fan... I'll be surprised if it gets really physical on the receivers if they don't start throwing flags.  The NFL isn't going to want the visual of Denver receivers (ie Manning's players) getting mugged going down the field and no flags being thrown for it.

Anybody think there's a chance he retires if he wins the SB this year? He was quoted today as saying "the light is at the end of the tunnel" or something like that. I know that doesnt mean he plans on retiring, but what better way to go out then winning a superbowl and setting all sorts of records?

Thats the definition of going out on top.

I wouldnt be surprised if he wanted to at least tie Brady's super bowl rings though.

Just curious if anyone thinks there is a chance?

I don't believe Manning will retire unless there is a nagging injury that changes his mind.  He has been beat up so I'd say the chances are there but would only consider them marginal at best.  Manning right now appears to be playing some of his best football.  Does look kind of stiff towards the end of games when he cranes his neck around but does not appear to affect the end result of the game.  Perhaps the neck thing is in my imagination.

I'm so tired of the Brady VS Manning thing. It's always been Belichick VS Manning and Brady VS some questionable defensive minds.

Not like the Pats suck or anything but they've definitely feasted on a shit division that allowed them to reliably secure homefield advantage most years on the way to building that dynasty.

Archived