Slightly Way Too Early Mock Draft

Still dipping my toes into draft prep, but have a decent idea of which way to go:

I think Anthony Collins will be back.  I'd like to think MJ will be back too but you can't assume it at this point.  

I also like the idea of bringing in RB Darren McFadden and QB Jason Campbell.

Hawkins, Rey, Pollak, Ghee, Mays and Sanzenbacher other notable re-signs. 

1.  CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech - took me all of about 4 plays to see this kid had it.  IMO a definite tick better than Dennard, who I saw miss a lot of tackles.

2. DE Kareem Martin, North Carolina - exactly the type of DE the Bengals covet. 

3. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia - I've been a big fan since he was a freshman.  Very good system fit. A steal at this point IMO.  

4. RB Tyler Gaffney, Stanford - a move the chains kind of guy Hue will like and use a lot.  Used to being in a RBBC.

1.  CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech - took me all of about 4 plays to see this kid had it.  IMO a definite tick better than Dennard, who I saw miss a lot of tackles.

2. DE Kareem Martin, North Carolina - exactly the type of DE the Bengals covet. 

3. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia - I've been a big fan since he was a freshman.  Very good system fit. A steal at this point IMO.  

4. RB Tyler Gaffney, Stanford - a move the chains kind of guy Hue will like and use a lot.  Used to being in a RBBC.

that's pretty darn good and very close to one I recently posted on another board....exactly the same position-wise actually.

I'm with ya on Fuller too, which is why in my mock I had us picking Dennard.....I just think Fuller and Gilbert are both gone by the time we get on the clock.

my first four picks btw...

1. Dennard

2. DE Jackson Jeffcoat

3. QB AJ McCarron

4. RB James Wilder 

I've been a Murray fan as well, and part of the reason is PRECISELY that his skill set is like Dalton. I think we need to think about drafting a QB that can possibly replace Dalton in the future if things don't work out with him, not just a guy who can be a place holder for a few games.  We ALSO need to bring in someone like Jason Campbell, IMO, a brilliant idea someone floated around here recently.  Dalton needs a true vet presence around him, and someone who really knows how to play within a system would be nothing but a good influence.

I like the rest of your draft. I don't agree about Fuller over Dennard, but I have liked him. We'll have no shot at Dennard anyway.  I think that's a bit high for Fuller. 

Your dead on about Martin, and you could almost write the exact same profile about him that MJ had coming out. In the same way, we're seeing people spot him anywhere from the 1st to the 3rd round (and he was considered 7th before the season).

In an ideal world, we could get each of those guys a round later than you have them, and I'd push for either a G/T or Travis Swanson at C in round 1 (maybe including a trade down a few spots to pick up another 3rd?).

I would go:

1. CB Jason Verrett, TCU

2. RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio State

3. QB David Fales, San Jose State

4. C Brian Stork, Florida State

5. DE Josh Mauro, Stanford

6. MLB Max Bullough, Michigan State

7. DE/DT Jeoffrey Pagon, Alabama

Love the first 2 picks.

3 might be a little early for a backup QB

Not convinced Stork lasts that long, or that they draft a C early.

DE in 3, QB in 5 maybe?

I prefer a SLB, we have enough MB types.

Ok

I understand why every single mock draft has us going CB in the 1st and it makes some sense, but I don't think that is the way we will go.

By May, we should know if Leon will be back for training camp. I think he will be. Leon, Pacman and Dre are all under contract and should be fine for both 2014 and 2015. Newman and possibly Crocker are #4 and #5 for 2014. That looks like a fine depth chart. Grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th to develop to take newman's place, but another 1st seems like overkill at a position where Leon makes big money, Newman and jones make pretty good money and Dre is a 1st rounder making decent money as well.

Just seems like a luxury at this point as opposed to a need. The same is probably true of DE, OT, LB, etc. so I wouldn't argue that any of them are huge needs either. But I think each of those positions is just as likely as CB to be addressed in the 1st so I don't understand why the mocks are 100% CB in round 1...

Newman will be 36, Adam I think will be 31, and Leon is getting close to 30.  And we all saw with Nate Clemments a couple of years ago how quickly CBs can get old.

And I'm still not sold on Dre.  If we don't take a CB in the first 2 rounds I probably won't be happy (unless we get 2 steals at other positions).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. DE Trent Murphy, Stanford

2. CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska

3. RB James Wilder, Jr., Florida State

4. OG Jon Halapio, Florida

5. QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina

Like Connor Shaw but I think it;s a round or so early for him.  I like the Baptiste pick in round 2.

My new mock:

1. CB Jason Verrett, TCU

2. C Travis Swanson, Arkansas

3. QB Zach Mettenburger, LSU

4. FS/SS Terrence Brooks, Florida State

5. DT Caraun Reid, Princeton

6. RB Antonio Andrews, Western Kentucky

7. OG Andrew Norwell, Ohio State

Nightmare scenario for me. I do like Andrews in 6.

Why?  They are quality players of value where taken, and most of them address need on some level.

That was hyperbole on my part. I really appreciate EB's effort. It's mostly the first three rounds that I have a problem with.

1. CB Jason Verrett, TCU- 5'9 5/8 176 lbs-
We need an edge corner for the future. I see him as a nickel. Really great in coverage, willing but just physically lacking against the run. He really struggles to disengage from WR's blocking him on runs and screens. If the team spends a first on a CB they should be named Gilbert or Dennard. I would rather take a DE (Murphy, Ealy) or OT (Kouandjio, Richardson).

2. C Travis Swanson, Arkansas-
I don't have a problem with the player as much as the position. Whether we like it or not, Kyle Cook is the entrenched starter. It also keeps them from taking advantage of the CB depth in this draft (Fuller, Roberson, Jean-Baptiste, Roby).

3. QB Zach Mettenburger, LSU-
Too early for a QB. Especially if there is value at CB, OL, RB etc. still out there. If Mettenburger or Thomas are there in 4 or 5, take him.

I don't think the team really needs S help. I do like Brooks' value in the fourth so I could live with it. He's kind of reminiscent of Crocker.

5. DT Caraun Reid, Princeton- He's essentially Aaron Donald-lite. I like this.

6. RB Antonio Andrews, Western Kentucky-
I like Andrews. But I wonder if taking another late round RB really does much to improve the position group. I guess it depends on the specific guy and Andrews is a pretty good pass blocker, receiver and runner. But that sounds an awful lot like Burkhead. I like Hyde and Wilder Jr. (maybe West, I haven't seen him) as guys who can absolutely upgrade the position.

7. OG Andrew Norwell, Ohio State-
I don't know much about him nor have I watched him play. But stacking the OL is always a good idea. Especially with Pollak potentially gone and Boling not taking the job definitively.

That was hyperbole on my part. I really appreciate EB's effort. It's mostly the first three rounds that I have a problem with.

1. CB Jason Verrett, TCU- 5'9 5/8 176 lbs-
We need an edge corner for the future. I see him as a nickel. Really great in coverage, willing but just physically lacking against the run. He really struggles to disengage from WR's blocking him on runs and screens. If the team spends a first on a CB they should be named Gilbert or Dennard. I would rather take a DE (Murphy, Ealy) or OT (Kouandjio, Richardson).

2. C Travis Swanson, Arkansas-
I don't have a problem with the player as much as the position. Whether we like it or not, Kyle Cook is the entrenched starter. It also keeps them from taking advantage of the CB depth in this draft (Fuller, Roberson, Jean-Baptiste, Roby).

3. QB Zach Mettenburger, LSU-
Too early for a QB. Especially if there is value at CB, OL, RB etc. still out there. If Mettenburger or Thomas are there in 4 or 5, take him.

I don't think the team really needs S help. I do like Brooks' value in the fourth so I could live with it. He's kind of reminiscent of Crocker.

5. DT Caraun Reid, Princeton- He's essentially Aaron Donald-lite. I like this.

6. RB Antonio Andrews, Western Kentucky-
I like Andrews. But I wonder if taking another late round RB really does much to improve the position group. I guess it depends on the specific guy and Andrews is a pretty good pass blocker, receiver and runner. But that sounds an awful lot like Burkhead. I like Hyde and Wilder Jr. (maybe West, I haven't seen him) as guys who can absolutely upgrade the position.

7. OG Andrew Norwell, Ohio State-
I don't know much about him nor have I watched him play. But stacking the OL is always a good idea. Especially with Pollak potentially gone and Boling not taking the job definitively.

I watched some Verrett videos on youtube, and I have to disagree.  I saw a good tackler for his size who isn't afraid to come up and attack in the box.  He got off his blocks well enough from what I could see.

1. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech - he's got that "it" factor.  

2. DE Dee Ford, Auburn - his Senior Bowl tape is better than his season tape, but its a copycat league, and it would be nice to see the Bengals add a speed rusher even though he's not a typical system fit.

3. RB Charles Sims, West Virginia - an ideal RB prospect for the Bengals.  Has the tools to be "the guy" but probably not ready yet and will benefit from being in a committee.

4. OG Jon Halapio, Florida - been a fan for a good year.  Nice to have if the Bengals go ground and pound.

5. QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina - nice deep ball, great pocket presence, underrated accuracy.

1. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech - he's got that "it" factor.  

2. DE Dee Ford, Auburn - his Senior Bowl tape is better than his season tape, but its a copycat league, and it would be nice to see the Bengals add a speed rusher even though he's not a typical system fit.

3. RB Charles Sims, West Virginia - an ideal RB prospect for the Bengals.  Has the tools to be "the guy" but probably not ready yet and will benefit from being in a committee.

4. OG Jon Halapio, Florida - been a fan for a good year.  Nice to have if the Bengals go ground and pound.

5. QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina - nice deep ball, great pocket presence, underrated accuracy.

I think the first round is a round too soon for fuller. Also, we drafted a guy like Dee Ford in Dontay Moch a few years back and we left waiting for to develop because he was learning a new position. I think in the first 2-3 rounds we need guys are perfect system and position fits so they can make maximum impact sooner rather than later.

I think the first round is a round too soon for fuller. Also, we drafted a guy like Dee Ford in Dontay Moch a few years back and we left waiting for to develop because he was learning a new position. I think in the first 2-3 rounds we need guys are perfect system and position fits so they can make maximum impact sooner rather than later.

Agreed.

I'd keep Ford at DE though. 

He weighs 250 lbs.  Firstly he'd need to put on weight.  Secondly will it diminish his speed?

I'd be tempted to leave him as be.  He's a mismatch with the other DE's on the team, but maybe that's a good thing.  Maybe they could use one guy who's a little different than the rest.  MJ and Dunlap are power guys.  Hunt likely will be a power guy.  Geathers is a power guy.  Gillberry is a leverage guy.  So why not add a speed guy.  

Look at Seattle. A little bit of everything.

56 Cliff Avril DE 27 6-3 260 6 Purdue

72 Michael Bennett DE 28 6-4 274 5 Texas A&M

-- Kenneth Boatright DE 23 6-4 253 R Southern Illinois

79 Red Bryant DE 29 6-4 323 6 Texas A&M

91 Chris Clemons DE 32 6-3 254 10 Georgia

51 Bruce Irvin DE 26 6-3 248 2 West Virginia

95 Benson Mayowa DE 22 6-3 252 R Idaho

98 Greg Scruggs DE 23 6-3 284 2 Louisville

Maybe "something a little different" is exactly what they could use.

• 4 weeks later...

1. DT Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota

2. OT Seantrel Henderson, Miami

3. RB Charles Sims, West Virginia

4. QB Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech

5. DE Michael Sam, Missouri

6. WR Kevin Norwood, Alabama

7. S Daniel Sorensen, BYU

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of that draft.  There are only 2 DTs I would actually want in 1, and Hageman isn't one of them.  Not that I think he will be a bad player, but I'm not sure he's enough of an upgrade, or that he would be BPA.

I think Henderson will climb form his current 5th round grade, but I wouldn't take him in 2.

Sims is ok, but he's not one of the guys I really want.

I think I would wait until 5 for Thomas, but that's just me.  He does have some good tools.

Don't know enough about the last 2 picks to really comment.

No CB???

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of that draft.  There are only 2 DTs I would actually want in 1, and Hageman isn't one of them.  Not that I think he will be a bad player, but I'm not sure he's enough of an upgrade, or that he would be BPA.

I think Henderson will climb form his current 5th round grade, but I wouldn't take him in 2.

Sims is ok, but he's not one of the guys I really want.

I think I would wait until 5 for Thomas, but that's just me.  He does have some good tools.

Don't know enough about the last 2 picks to really comment.

No CB???

haha no worries, I didn't put a lot of effort into it.

CB must have been an oversight.  I think I thought I had Dennard in there in the first.  

Archived