Slightly Way Too Early Mock Draft

now that things are a little more in focus. MJ's gone, AC's gone, Hawkins is probably gone, and Harrison, Cook and Ghee are out too.

Looks like they are at least hoping to sign a OT/G guy and a DE before the draft for depth purposes.  Oh yea and Moch is back. I also still expect to see Jason Campbell at some point.

I'm also going to assume the expected comp picks of a 6th and 2 7th's.

1. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State - I think there's a good chance here that this is gonna be a CB.  No big shocker.  WIth the guys they have returning and having Vance Joseph now on staff, I think they take the CB with the highest upside even though say Kyle Fuller may be the better immediate player. They don't need a guy immediately though.

2. OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada - sounds like a guy who can potentially play every position.  A more talented Clint Boling if you will.  Very physical, kind of reminds me of David DeCastro.

3. DE/DT Dominque Easley, Florida - IMO he's Geno Atkins light.  Plays with great leverage and is in that tweener size range. 

4. RB D'Anthony Thomas, Oregon - spppppppppppppeeeed. instant impact guy on special teams, and a toy for Hue to play with on offense.

5. RB/FB Trey Millard, Oklahoma - versatility is the key.  He's a talented FB but can also give you snaps at RB. Probably goes a round earlier if not for coming off an injury.

6.  DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida - low risk, high reward.  He'll have a chance to work his way into playing time. First round athleticism.

6. QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina - a gamer with less than ideal measurables.

7. WR Shaquelle Evans, UCLA

7. ILB Avery Williamson, Kentucky

7. OG Marcus Hall, Ohio State

now that things are a little more in focus. MJ's gone, AC's gone, Hawkins is probably gone, and Harrison, Cook and Ghee are out too.

Looks like they are at least hoping to sign a OT/G guy and a DE before the draft for depth purposes.  Oh yea and Moch is back. I also still expect to see Jason Campbell at some point.

1. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State - I think there's a good chance here that this is gonna be a CB.  No big shocker.  WIth the guy they have returning and having Vance Joseph now on staff, I think they take the CB with the highest upside even though say Kyle Fuller may be the better immediate player. They don't need a guy immediately though.

2. OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada - sounds like a guy who can potentially play every position.  A more talented Clint Boling if you will.  Very physical, kind of reminds me of David DeCastro.

3. DE/DT Dominque Easley, Florida - IMO he's Geno Atkins light.  Plays with great leverage and is in that tweener size range. 

4. RB D'Anthony Thomas, Oregon - spppppppppppppeeeed. instant impact guy on special teams, and a toy for Hue to play with on offense.

5. RB/FB Trey Millard, Oklahoma - versatility is the key.  He's a talented FB but can also give you snaps at RB. Probably goes a round earlier if not for coming off an injury.

6.  DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida - low risk, high reward.  He'll have a chance to work his way into playing time. First round athleticism.

I'm not even going to pretend I know the draft this year but position-wise, I kinda like it. CB and OL for sure then a DL for Geathers/MJ replacement on roster. I don't see two RBs taken. Not that I am against it, but after they moved Charles down to FB and then drafted two RBs last year, I just can't see them hitting it up twice. I wish we just would have kept Charles at TE and kept Conn(er/or)? or Pressley. If we could get Charles back into TE mode I wouldn't mind seeing Gresham walk. The dude just irritates me more than excites me. 

I'm not even going to pretend I know the draft this year but position-wise, I kinda like it. CB and OL for sure then a DL for Geathers/MJ replacement on roster. I don't see two RBs taken. Not that I am against it, but after they moved Charles down to FB and then drafted two RBs last year, I just can't see them hitting it up twice. I wish we just would have kept Charles at TE and kept Conn(er/or)? or Pressley. If we could get Charles back into TE mode I wouldn't mind seeing Gresham walk. The dude just irritates me more than excites me. 

Millard I think can give you some RB snaps, but he's a FB first.  And while I think the Bengals don't want a traditional FB, Millard can do more than just block.  He can also run and catch.  

1. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State - I think there's a good chance here that this is gonna be a CB.  No big shocker.  WIth the guys they have returning and having Vance Joseph now on staff, I think they take the CB with the highest upside even though say Kyle Fuller may be the better immediate player. They don't need a guy immediately though.

1. Good pick.

2. Good pick.

3. Not sure he lasts that long.  Decent pick if he does.

4. Prefer Dri Archer, but Thomas would be a good "Plan B".

5. Ok

6. Low risk high reward at this point.

6. Ok

7s. Ok

1. DE/DT Ra'Shede Hagemann, Minnesota

2. CB Keith McGill, Utah

3. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia

4. RB/PR/KR D'Anthony Thomas, Oregon

5. OT Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt

6. DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida

6. WR Josh Huff, Oregon

7. OL Marcus Hall, Ohio State

7. MLB Avery Williamson, Kentucky

Gotta be honest, I'd not be thrilled with that draft.  I don't see DT as a need, and I'm not sold Hageman would be BPA.  For me, the only DTs I would be happy with in 1 are Nix and Donald.

I think that's a round too early for McGill, but I would be ok with him in 3.

I think that's also a round early for Murray.

That might be a couple rounds early for Thomas.  CBS has him in 6 or 7, and his combine 40 time was disappointing.  But when you watch him he certainly plays faster than he timed.

The rest isn't bad.

1. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

2. OT  Brandon Thomas, Clemson

3. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia

4. DE Chris Smith, Arkansas

5. RB Storm Johnson, Central Florida

6. WR Josh Huff, Oregon

1. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

2. OT  Brandon Thomas, Clemson

3. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia

4. DE Chris Smith, Arkansas

5. RB Storm Johnson, Central Florida

6. WR Josh Huff, Oregon

Not bad.  I'd call it the Twist-My-Arm mock.  A lot of guys I'd be happy with, but just a notch above where the value investor side of me would like to get them.  That said, they're players I really like, particularly the first 4. 

That said, Murray does jump out to me as one I couldn't force myself to do. Not because I don't like him, I do, but because this draft is so deep and the opportunity cost of taking a QB in 3 is so big.

• 4 weeks later...

1. CB Jason Verrett, TCU - I'd prefer Dennard/Gilbert/Fuller, but expect all 3 to be gone.  Verrett is a nice consolation. 

2. OT Antonio Richardson, Tennessee - longterm LT, maybe short term LG.  

3. QB AJ McCarron, Alabama - not a stud prospect, but far from a slouch either.  Kind of gives you a Tom Brady vibe.  

4. DE Taylor Hart, Oregon - has the size they crave.

5. RB Marion Grice, Arizona State - Reminds you of BJGE, but better in every way.  Faster, much better receiver, better vision.

6. DE Aaron Lynch, USF - low risk, high reward.  First round talent

6. WR Allen Hurns, Miami - WR project 

7.  OG Russell Bodine, North Carolina

another quickie:

1. OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama - best run blocker in the draft?

2. CB Phillip Gaines, Rice - great at pass breakups, great length and closing speed

3. DE Chris Smith, Arkansas - Gilberry clone

4. LB Shayne Skov, Stanford - great LB who will fall due to injury history and lack of top end speed.  Would be great next to Burfict

5. QB Keith Wenning, Ball State - arguably the best pure passer in the draft, but must adjust to competition level

6. RB Lorenzo Taliaferro, Coastal Carolina - could be a RB or FB IMO

6. FB Trey Millard, Oklahoma - another guy who is a FB but could also play some RB.

7. QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina - an underrated QB who could hide on the practice squad for a year.

7. WR Allen Hurns, Miami - developmental WR.

1. OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama - best run blocker in the draft? May not be ready to be a day 1 starter at LT, but he doesn't need to be.  Like Collins, he's young and maybe came out too early, but is incredibly talent.  Unlike Collins, he's a superb run blocker and could come in and start at Left Guard, the only real open spot currently on the roster.  In a year or 2, he takes over one of the tackle spots.  

2. CB Phillip Gaines, Rice - great at pass breakups, great length and closing speed

3. QB AJ McCarron, Alabama - I know he gets dogged because of the team around him, and lack of elite measurables, but physically, he's no different than Tom Brady. I also think he has Brady's fire.

4. RB Lorenzo Taliaferro, Coastal Carolina - tough RB who can run, catch and block. Reminds me of Thomas Jones. 

5. DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida - First round talent, but his motor and effort have been questioned.  Good value here where you can potentially get a gem, but he's also low enough that losing a 5th rounder doesn't kill your draft.  By far the best of what's left at DE after the 3rd round.

6. QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina - an underrated QB who's got a little Favre to him.  Can spend a year on the PS to develop.

6. RB Aaron Blue, LSU - overshadowed by Hill, but himself is another big (6'2" 223) back with some speed who played against top competition.  Can catch well also.  Bigger, Faster, and a better receiver than BJGE.

7. WR Allen Hurns, Miami - developmental WR.

7. C Corey Linsley, Ohio State - developmental interior Olineman.

I think I like this one the most of the mocks you have done.

Assuming Cyrus passes the physical.

well my hope is they get better as the draft gets closer.   :)

Up until this week, I mainly just like to tinker with different possibilities.

And yea, this is of course is assuming Cyrus' knee checks out.  If it does, he makes too much sense.  They want to run the ball better, they have an immediate need at left guard, and a longterm need at Left Tackle and maybe even Right Tackle.  Also, since Cyrus came out as a junior, I think he's still far from a finished product.  He's still just 20 years old.  

And yea, this is of course is assuming Cyrus' knee checks out.  If it does, he makes too much sense.  They want to run the ball better, they have an immediate need at left guard, and a longterm need at Left Tackle and maybe even Right Tackle.  Also, since Cyrus came out as a junior, I think he's still far from a finished product.  He's still just 20 years old.  

Agreed. Cyrus or Martin both make tons of sense for that reason, from a need perspective.  The only other guys who I see that might be available that have a chance to make an immediate impact would be Mosley or Shazier at LB.  I'd also be happy with taking one of those two LB's in the first, and a guy like Cyril Richardson in the second if he's there.  IMO that instantly improves us at our two least solid positions.

Even if a couple of big talents fall to us (Dennard, Donald), they would phase in during the year (and for the record I'd take both over anyone else). Beyond that, you're talking about guys coming in and working their way into the lineup over time.  I suppose the one exception might be finding a WR or CB who is a true difference maker in the return game.  My heart still breaks for skipping Cordarelle Patterson last year, but he's a perfect example of what you can do with a rookie with return skills.

Imagine a trade down with Houston for 33 and 65

2. OL Joel Bitonio
2. DE Kareem Martin
3. CB Keith McGill
3. QB AJ McCarron
4. LB Shayne Skov
5. RB D'Antony Thomas

I'm losing my steam for Martin a bit. Maybe that's just because I think you get more for less with Will Clarke...

I'm going to do 1 mock this year and also predict a trade down to early 2nd

2a. Joel Bitonio, OL Nevada

2b. Kyle Van Noy, LB BYU

3a. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S FSU

3b. Will Sutton, DT ASU

4. Terrance West, RB Towson

5. Aaron Murray, QB Georgia

6a. Trey Millard, FB Oklahoma

6b. L'Damian Washington, WR Mizzou

7a. Richard Rogers, TE Cal

7b. Victor Hampton, CB So. Car.

I'm going to do 1 mock this year and also predict a trade down to early 2nd

2a. Joel Bitonio, OL Nevada
2b. Kyle Van Noy, LB BYU
3a. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S FSU
3b. Will Sutton, DT ASU
4. Terrance West, RB Towson
5. Aaron Murray, QB Georgia
6a. Trey Millard, FB Oklahoma
6b. L'Damian Washington, WR Mizzou
7a. Richard Rogers, TE Cal
7b. Victor Hampton, CB So. Car.

Like it but I think Murray is gone quite a bit earlier. Hampton is a bit of a knucklehead but at the end of round 7, he's worth a gamble.

1. OT Cyrus Kouandjio
2. CB Phillip Gaines
3. QB AJ McCarron
4. DE Taylor Hart
5. RB Jerrick McKinnon
6. WR Josh Huff
6. QB Connor Shaw
7. FB Trey Millard
7. LB Avery Williamson

Like this one as well. Gaines is very underrated.

I've always liked Shaw. Not always pretty but he gets the job done.

yea I can't believe Skov is rated so low.  Can't all be injuries.  Healthy, he's a borderline first round guy to me.

I also really like Huff.  He's this year's Hamilton.  A potential future #2 who falls through the cracks.  Like Marvin Jones as well.  He reminds me of Golden Tate, minus the douchieness.

Archived