2014 Draft Notes

Oooh.  Love all these charts.  Good looking out.

Someone is going to get a huge bust with Manziel.  WAY too many interceptions in the intermediate passing game, not to mention a huge headcase.  Kind of disappointed in Boyd's numbers.  Looks like he is a little erratic.  Mettenberger looks like he edges McCarron and McCarron edges Murray.

I just watched some highlight videos on Dennard and Gilbert.  Dennard reminds me so much of Leon.  Great technique in coverage.  My only problem with him in the highlight tapes is that it looked like he never wrapped up.  Always launching with shoulder.  Thats going to be a problem if he doesn't fix that.

Gilbert is a ballhawk, but it looked like quite a few of his interceptions came in a Cover 2 scheme.  His return ability is off the chart, though.  

Also watched a highlight video on Demarcus Lawrence (BSU), and he looks like a carbon copy of Dunlap.  He's a lot smaller and is likely a 3-4 OLB, but the way they play and their length are so similar.  Its unreal.

Draft cannot get here soon enough.

I think Manziel is going to make some noise. He's not a big guy at all but he's hella fast and elusive, has a really nice arm (his accuracy continues to improve, and he made a number of nbig-time NFL throws) and he just makes plays.

There are few guys that can make hay when plays break down like he can. Yes, he's taken some "bad" chances and he's had guys like Mike Evans to bail him out, but I think he's got "it." Not sure where he'll go, but if I was in the market for a QB and I had all of them available, I'd have to think long and hard about passing on him. Almost 10,000 yards of total offense in 2 years… playing an SEC schedule. He's a special talent. 

Oooh.  Love all these charts.  Good looking out.

Someone is going to get a huge bust with Manziel.  WAY too many interceptions in the intermediate passing game, not to mention a huge headcase.  Kind of disappointed in Boyd's numbers.  Looks like he is a little erratic.  Mettenberger looks like he edges McCarron and McCarron edges Murray.

I just watched some highlight videos on Dennard and Gilbert.  Dennard reminds me so much of Leon.  Great technique in coverage.  My only problem with him in the highlight tapes is that it looked like he never wrapped up.  Always launching with shoulder.  Thats going to be a problem if he doesn't fix that.

Gilbert is a ballhawk, but it looked like quite a few of his interceptions came in a Cover 2 scheme.  His return ability is off the chart, though.  

Also watched a highlight video on Demarcus Lawrence (BSU), and he looks like a carbon copy of Dunlap.  He's a lot smaller and is likely a 3-4 OLB, but the way they play and their length are so similar.  Its unreal.

Draft cannot get here soon enough.

Interesting that you would reach those conclusions.  I look at the same graph and I see Murray coming out just ahead of Mettenberger and McCarron.

I think Manziel is going to make some noise. He's not a big guy at all but he's hella fast and elusive, has a really nice arm (his accuracy continues to improve, and he made a number of nbig-time NFL throws) and he just makes plays.

There are few guys that can make hay when plays break down like he can. Yes, he's taken some "bad" chances and he's had guys like Mike Evans to bail him out, but I think he's got "it." Not sure where he'll go, but if I was in the market for a QB and I had all of them available, I'd have to think long and hard about passing on him. Almost 10,000 yards of total offense in 2 years… playing an SEC schedule. He's a special talent.

I agree with you. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he was a bust, but my money would be on him being a very good player in the pros.

I hope he doesn't end up in Cleveland. They could potentially come out of this draft with Manziel, a top WR like Evans and the top RB in the draft at the top of the 2nd round. Maybe Carlos Hyde. With Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron already there, that offense could go from terrible to dangerous in a hurry.

I agree with you. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he was a bust, but my money would be on him being a very good player in the pros.

I hope he doesn't end up in Cleveland. They could potentially come out of this draft with Manziel, a top WR like Evans and the top RB in the draft at the top of the 2nd round. Maybe Carlos Hyde. With Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron already there, that offense could go from terrible to dangerous in a hurry.

So you see Manziel going in the 20s?

Really starting to like the idea of Connor Shaw. There's just something about him and the way he plays.

Yeah, I really like Shaw too. Can pull the ball down and make plays with his feet if he has to and rarely throws INTs. Decent enough arm and he is a tough, gritty QB. I don't think he ever got the respect he deserved for his decent play at SC.

Connor Shaw isn't a NFL type of QB, he probably won't even be drafted. Btw..what is Farve moxy?

Someone will draft Shaw. It won't be high but he will probably go in rounds 5-7. You don't throw 24 TDs, only 1 INT and rush for 500 plus yards in a year in the SEC and someone not give you a chance. Also with the success of Wilson and Brees, teams are no longer looking for the "prototypical NFL QB" anymore. 

Ian Rapport and Peter King both say Browns really like Manziel.

Personally, I think a he had a lot of success throwing jump balls to Mike Evans who is the next V-Jax.  Who knows.  I'm not a big fan, but I think the kid has too big of a head.  All that ish talking is going to get him blown up in the NFL.

I think we need to take a QB as early as round 2 to develop in case Dalton shits his pants again. We really do not want to be starting over again at the position in 2015 while the rest of our offensive talent ages and the worst that can happen is we have a decent young backup in case Dalton gets hurt...

I am all for Metzenberger in the second.

I think we need to take a QB as early as round 2 to develop in case Dalton shits his pants again. We really do not want to be starting over again at the position in 2015 while the rest of our offensive talent ages and the worst that can happen is we have a decent young backup in case Dalton gets hurt...

I am all for Metzenberger in the second.

I really think there are only 2 ways Dalton does not finish his career here:

1. He plays like David Klingler next year.

2. Marvin is not re-signed and Andy does not play well in 2014.

Ian Rapport and Peter King both say Browns really like Manziel.

Personally, I think a he had a lot of success throwing jump balls to Mike Evans who is the next V-Jax.  Who knows.  I'm not a big fan, but I think the kid has too big of a head.  All that ish talking is going to get him blown up in the NFL.

I hope that Cleveland drafts Manziel, his style of play won't translate to the NFL. All of that running around like a chicken with no head won't cut it in the NFL, plus Manziel isn't the biggest of guys so I doubt he will be able to stand up to the pounding that comes with running the ball like the does. 

I hope that Cleveland drafts Manziel, his style of play won't translate to the NFL. All of that running around like a chicken with no head won't cut it in the NFL, plus Manziel isn't the biggest of guys so I doubt he will be able to stand up to the pounding that comes with running the ball like the does. 

Manziel reminds me of a risk taking Russel Wilson.  He's a little bigger too.

Someone will draft Shaw. It won't be high but he will probably go in rounds 5-7. You don't throw 24 TDs, only 1 INT and rush for 500 plus yards in a year in the SEC and someone not give you a chance. Also with the success of Wilson and Brees, teams are no longer looking for the "prototypical NFL QB" anymore. 

Maybe your right about Shaw, his senior year was by far his best and has his draft stock rising. What causes me to doubt him is his injury history and inconsistent past.

Ed Reynolds coming out.  He's a guy I wanted us to grab last year before announcements.  Was a national leader in INT's last year as a sophomore and teams stayed away from him this year.  He's very smart and physical with the kind of recognition and agility you want in a safety.  Definitely playmaker, something we want more of on defense.

(Incidentally, Varret, the S from Vanderbilt will be a great player and will go lower than he should because of his school.  That said, he was a national INT leader at S - in the SEC).

2014 NFL Draft: Stanford FS Ed Reynolds leaving for NFL
By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

January 14, 2014 3:43 pm ET

More Draft: NFL Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Latest news | Underclassmen

Stanford coach David Shaw will have a slew of holes to plug on defense with free safety Ed Reynolds deciding to make the jump to the 2014 NFL Draft.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Reynolds is the No. 2 junior free safety prospect, according to NFLDraftScout.com ratings, and is a physical and instinctive defender who will likely jockey with fellow juniors Calvin Pryor of Louisville and Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to be the first free safety of the board in May. Pryor and Clinton-Dix are projected as late-first or early-second round picks.

According to NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Rob Rang, "Reynolds possesses the lanky build scouts are looking for at the position. He also demonstrates good agility and acceleration to handle covering athletic tight ends out of the slot as well as supply deep help over the top. Savvy defender and reliable open-field tackler. Reynolds breaks down well in space and delivers a pop on contact, often driving ballcarriers back."

Reynolds finished third on the Cardinal with 87 tackles last season. He led Stanford with six interceptions as a junior and Rang said Reynolds was named First Team All-Pac-12 for the second consecutive year despite one interception in 2013 because "opponents knew to stay away."

A redshirt junior, he had another year of eligibility after missing the 2011 season due to a knee injury.

"After much thought and discussion with my family and mentors, I have decided to enter theNFL Draft," Reynolds said in a statement. "I would like to thank the Stanford football family for putting me in this position and preparing me for the next level. A very special thanks to our coaching staff, support staff and my teammates for making the memories of these past four years last a lifetime."

Reynolds will be the fifth starter Shaw loses from the defense, along with senior linebackersTrent Murphy and Shayne Skov and defensive ends Ben Gardner and Josh Mauro. It could have been even more, but linebacker A.J. Tarpley and defensive end Henry Andersonannounced they would return to the Cardinal in 2014.

•  

Archived