NJ Public Schools To Require Social Media Classes

Go Skins

Facebook could soon become required reading for middle school students in New Jersey. A new bill would make a social media class mandatory for all sixth-through-eighth grade students in New Jersey Public Schools.

The purpose is to teach responsible use of social media. The class would teach students about the acceptable use of various social media, cyber safety, cyber security and cyber ethics.

A big emphasis will be on the negative consequences of using social media irresponsibly, like cyberbullying.

The New Jersey State Senate almost unanimously (37-2) passed the bill. It now heads back to the state assembly. It's expected to become law by the start of next school year.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24415897/nj-public-schools-to-require-social-media-classes#ixzz2qDLODz7b

Facebook could soon become required reading for middle school students in New Jersey. A new bill would make a social media class mandatory for all sixth-through-eighth grade students in New Jersey Public Schools.

The purpose is to teach responsible use of social media. The class would teach students about the acceptable use of various social media, cyber safety, cyber security and cyber ethics.

A big emphasis will be on the negative consequences of using social media irresponsibly, like cyberbullying.

The New Jersey State Senate almost unanimously (37-2) passed the bill. It now heads back to the state assembly. It's expected to become law by the start of next school year.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24415897/nj-public-schools-to-require-social-media-classes#ixzz2qDLODz7b

Kind of like digital citizenship.  Could be taught and or incorporated as part of technology class or part of social studies course.  However, until it becomes part of the core curriculum I really don't expect digital citizenship to get the measure of urgency needed for students to actually learn something. 

Not enough information in the article to form an opinion one way or another.

If it is only for a half dozen or so classes/lessons as part of something like Health

class, for example, not a bad thought.  Like, Sex Ed is taught in some form or another

but not as a whole semester class but part of something else.

Maybe not so much for the trendy "cyber bullying" thing but really not a bad idea at all

to let younger people know that what they put on Facebook, no matter how innocent or

how much in jest it is intended, may not at all be interpreted that way.  Just look at how things

are misinterpreted on here, ninjas or not.

But the point is kids and not-so kids (older, college students, etc.) post some REALLY dumb ass

stuff on their Facebook pages and do not realize those things are FAR from un-hackable and confidential.

And, admittedly, a personal raw nerve here between my now estranged son and myself because he thought

it was/is amusing to post pics of himself drunk on his homepage which anyone... including me and prospective

employers, can see.

Two incidents I have come across recently...

The son of a friend of a friend (I know, I know) posted a scathing rant about his mother shortly before being killed in

an automobile accident and before he could delete it when he composed himself and rethought.  But it is his last

words to her that she will carry for the rest of her life.

Also just got this one... Daughter of a friend was in a job she did not care for with an accounting firm which did sound

pretty dicey.  Had friended the boss and his girlfriend at one point on Facebook but unfriended them as the situation 

became worse.  She found a new position, resigned.  Boss called in a coworker friend who worked there, demanded

and threatened her to show the girl who left's Facebook page to see what she had written about him and the company.

Friend caved under threat and I don't think anything really all that negative was said but now lawyers are involved.

And that does not even begin to get into hacking.

So my humble opinion is whether the kids heed it or not, they do need to know that what they post and say can

come back to bite them in the ass big time some time.

Just my 2¢.

Not enough information in the article to form an opinion one way or another.

If it is only for a half dozen or so classes/lessons as part of something like Health

class, for example, not a bad thought.  Like, Sex Ed is taught in some form or another

but not as a whole semester class but part of something else.

Maybe not so much for the trendy "cyber bullying" thing but really not a bad idea at all

to let younger people know that what they put on Facebook, no matter how innocent or

how much in jest it is intended, may not at all be interpreted that way.  Just look at how things

are misinterpreted on here, ninjas or not.

But the point is kids and not-so kids (older, college students, etc.) post some REALLY dumb ass

stuff on their Facebook pages and do not realize those things are FAR from un-hackable and confidential.

And, admittedly, a personal raw nerve here between my now estranged son and myself because he thought

it was/is amusing to post pics of himself drunk on his homepage which anyone... including me and prospective

employers, can see.

Two incidents I have come across recently...

The son of a friend of a friend (I know, I know) posted a scathing rant about his mother shortly before being killed in

an automobile accident and before he could delete it when he composed himself and rethought.  But it is his last

words to her that she will carry for the rest of her life.

Also just got this one... Daughter of a friend was in a job she did not care for with an accounting firm which did sound

pretty dicey.  Had friended the boss and his girlfriend at one point on Facebook but unfriended them as the situation 

became worse.  She found a new position, resigned.  Boss called in a coworker friend who worked there, demanded

and threatened her to show the girl who left's Facebook page to see what she had written about him and the company.

Friend caved under threat and I don't think anything really all that negative was said but now lawyers are involved.

And that does not even begin to get into hacking.

So my humble opinion is whether the kids heed it or not, they do need to know that what they post and say can

come back to bite them in the ass big time some time.

Just my 2¢.

I don't disagree with the idea that education is needed.  I disagree with some school systems NOT making it part of the CORE curriculum.  New Jersey is not the only place to implement this.  To date, from what little researching I have been able to do, no school has made this part of the CORE curriculum.  The idea of educating school age children in the subject of digital citizenship is nearly worthless without giving it the due weight it deserves.  Don't see it happening in the schools either.  I can't word this response right but I'll give it a shot....

The emphasis in school is to pass " the test. "  Whether it is a test for math, English, Science, etc...  a student is learning what a teacher is putting out and the emphasis that teacher places upon the subject.  A teacher, knowing that their job depends upon the tests that the state gives his or her students, will knowingly or unknowingly teach their students the test and not place emphasis on the items not part of the curriculum.  Which means anything not part of the CORE does and will get thrown by the wayside.  The emphasis placed by the teachers is not to blame in other words.  Blame the system which requires a narrow curriculum.  Hopefully this makes sense.  If not, I'll try to reword.  There are enough teachers on here that can verify why this idea may be difficult to implement.

Archived