Who are you watching? 2014

I watched a highlight tape on Hill yesterday and he looked so finesse for such a big guy.  I wasn't a fan.  I want someone who wants to hit linebackers and crush them if they want to replace BJGE eventually.

Regarding Pryor, he doesn't wrap up very much.  Always looking for that KO.  Would definitely make people think twice about going over the middle or tip-toeing that sideline. 

I watched a highlight tape on Hill yesterday and he looked so finesse for such a big guy.  I wasn't a fan.  I want someone who wants to hit linebackers and crush them if they want to replace BJGE eventually.

Regarding Pryor, he doesn't wrap up very much.  Always looking for that KO.  Would definitely make people think twice about going over the middle or tip-toeing that sideline. 

yea the little I've seen of Pryor, I don't know if he'll be able to get away with the way he plays in today's NFL.  One video I watched, in 2 minutes he had at least 5 hits that would get flagged in the NFL.

yea the little I've seen of Pryor, I don't know if he'll be able to get away with the way he plays in today's NFL.  One video I watched, in 2 minutes he had at least 5 hits that would get flagged in the NFL.

Reggie Nelson had exactly the same knock coming out, but he's turned out ok.  With good coaching, Pryor could turn out the same.

Just for you 1181, some Calvin Pryor videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzHPP54WvUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3y2XwXujkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjDx1ysE7lw

Looking at the videos some more, Pryor's tackling reminds me a lot of Matt Elam when he was coming out.  He's not great but he isn't bad at it either.  Also, like Elam, Pryor has things you cannot teach - physicality, intensity, and smarts.

Dee Ford - First time I've watched him and I like him a lot.  He has a little bit of Dwight Freeney about him.  Fast and relentless, but limited in run game (might be due to size).  I prefer him to Kony Ealy.  Ford would thrive as a rotational player in the Bengals D-line rotation.  He would be a good pick at 24 imo.

The only gripe is his size.  He's tall enough at 6-2 but at 252 lbs he would need to add at least 10 lbs if he's going to be effective as a full-time DE.

Charles Sims - really want him in stripes.  Fast, great receiver and surprisingly physical despite taller lanky frame.  He would cause matchup problems along with Gio out of the backfield,  I think he'll be there in round 3.

Poor man's Darren McFadden IMO. I'm not to fond of his tiny hands though.  Spells fumble troubles...

Pryor looks like a nice prospect, but the more I watch him, the more I'm confident in saying he wouldn't have been one of the 5 best safeties in last year's class.

Vacarro, Elam, Reid, and Cyprien are all better prospects.  I like Swearinger a little more too since he can play nickel CB, but a case can be made for Pryor.  He actually is very similar to Swearinger minus the nickel part IMO.

Zack Martin reminds me a lot of a young Whit.  Definitely could see him being the pick if they lose Collins. Some think he can play every spot on the line.

Thats what I think.  Could be the same situation we had with Whit when he was young as well.  Let Martin play guard until Whit can no longer cut it at LT.  

I really like Martin.  I think the Phins are an obvious place for him, but would be very excited at adding him.  Not many guys in this draft, at least where we are picking, are going to be able to come in and start from day 1 while also potentially being a pro-bowl caliber player.

RB Jeremy Hill - based just on the field, he's the 2nd or 3rd best RB in the draft. Exactly what the Bengals could use.

CB Jaylen Watkins - add another corner who could go top 100. He'd be a nice add.

DE Scott Crichton - really like his physical play. Plays with an attitude. Could be something special if he perfects his moves, particularly his edge dip.

Pryor looks like a nice prospect, but the more I watch him, the more I'm confident in saying he wouldn't have been one of the 5 best safeties in last year's class.

Vacarro, Elam, Reid, and Cyprien are all better prospects.  I like Swearinger a little more too since he can play nickel CB, but a case can be made for Pryor.  He actually is very similar to Swearinger minus the nickel part IMO.

would you agree that one of two things would have to be a truth... your above analysis, or that he's not worthy of the 24th pick in a draft that's considered much better than last year's?

would you agree that one of two things would have to be a truth... your above analysis, or that he's not worthy of the 24th pick in a draft that's considered much better than last year's?

Last year I thought there were 3 top 25 caliber safeties, and being the top of your position group elevates you a tad especially if your position group is having a down class.

I very well may be wrong, and probably am, I just think the top 3 guys for sure were better and there's a strong case for Cyprien and swearinger as well. And I fully admit I've seen a lot more tape of the 2013 guys. In the 2-3 full games I've watched of Pryor, he wasn't an impact on the game. His highlight reels obviously suggest otherwise, but it's dangerous only watching highlight reels of a guy.

Tre Mason - Impressed and fits our scheme but doubt we draft him, as we have his skill set in Gio.  MInd you having both of them would scare the hell out of the opposition, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Andre Williams - Yawn!  He doesn't add anything to what we have in BJGE already.  Noticed his o-line blocking made him look better than he probably really is.

Carlos Hyde - He's the only back in the draft that ticks all the boxes if the Bengals are really serious about upgrading the run game (ie upgrade BJGE).  We'd have to get him with our 2nd round pick as he won't be there by the time our 3rd round pick rolls round.

Tre Mason - Impressed and fits our scheme but doubt we draft him, as we have his skill set in Gio.  MInd you having both of them would scare the hell out of the opposition, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Andre Williams - Yawn!  He doesn't add anything to what we have in BJGE already.  Noticed his o-line blocking made him look better than he probably really is.

Carlos Hyde - He's the only back in the draft that ticks all the boxes if the Bengals are really serious about upgrading the run game (ie upgrade BJGE).  We'd have to get him with our 2nd round pick as he won't be there by the time our 3rd round pick rolls round.

so you don't think Williams would be an upgrade over BJGE?

IMO He's bigger, faster, more physical, and of course younger.  He also runs angry.

so you don't think Williams would be an upgrade over BJGE?

IMO He's bigger, faster, more physical, and of course younger.  He also runs angry.

He's got stamina and he's faster but I think BJGE is better at breaking tackles TBH.  He doesn't have any proven receiving skills either.  Also, I do think his o-line made him look good a lot of the time.  If he's there in rounds 4-5 maybe take a flier but at a push imo.

Archived