As a loss is a loss, I'm glad...

I wouldn't go "terrible" but certainly a coaching staff that tried to make football more complicated than it is...

I am talking about the offense, not defense.  Great coaches may get cute on 3rd and goal from the one but only an idiot throws a sideline pass on first and goal from the same spot when you are in control of the game.   We were up by 10 at that point with 8:29 left.  Even if we don't get it over on 3 running plays, we burn almost 2 and half minutes off the clock and lead by 13 with only 6 minutes left.  HORRIBLE situational awareness.

I am talking about the offense, not defense.  Great coaches may get cute on 3rd and goal from the one but only an idiot throws a sideline pass on first and goal from the same spot when you are in control of the game.   We were up by 10 at that point with 8:29 left.  Even if we don't get it over on 3 running plays, we burn almost 2 and half minutes off the clock and lead by 13 with only 6 minutes left.  HORRIBLE situational awareness.

I agree.  Just saying they're not terrible coaches, just that sometimes they got too cute for their own good.  1st and goal from the 1yd line, run the damn ball.

he went andy dalton, they only threw the ball 3 yards down field, and his line wasnt too bad really, especially considering the front 7 they faced. but their DB's are out of this world good, i am curious to see who sticks around and who goes for a payday from seattle, they have about 20 free agents, 

lots of young talent who will want major bucks to stick around.

That what I was gonna say. Manning just checked down and threw 3 yard passes even when they were getting crushed

I agree.  Just saying they're not terrible coaches, just that sometimes they got too cute for their own good.  1st and goal from the 1yd line, run the damn ball.

I think we had some of the worst in game managers in the league on offense.  We had enough talent to get away with it in many games but against better opponents and coaching staffs, we typically fail.   Seriously, we have scored 6 fucking point in the second half of our last 3 playoff games with Gruden and Marvin at the helm.  We were LEADING this year at half and down by only 2 in 2012 and 7 in 2011.

Manning's stats surprising aren't that bad for as bad as his offensive line was.  69% completions and nearly 300yds against the best defense in the league.  Of course part of the yardage was because they were playing from behind.

Manning's total quarterback rating of 24.4 was his lowest of the season and the worst in a Super Bowl since Rex Grossman's 7.1 in 2006.

Manning's total quarterback rating of 24.4 was his lowest of the season and the worst in a Super Bowl since Rex Grossman's 7.1 in 2006.

I don't pay much attention to QBR to be honest.  When you factor in 2 of his 3 turnovers are on the offensive line, his night's not too awful considering how they played.

The Seahawks and 49ers both have solid teams who could win with just about any QB. They are good at playing to their strengths. If Dalton played for the Seahawks, he'd be a SB winner.

I don't agree with this.   Seattle's oline is not as good as ours and Wilson is EXPECTED to make plays with his legs when necessary.   Wilson was sacked 44 times this year to Dalton's 29 and Wilson had less attempts.   Wilson will take a sack rather than throw a bad pass way more readily than Andy does.

Wilson extends plays with his legs while Andy doesn't do that often.  I don't think Seattle goes 13-3 and beats both New Orleans and SF with Andy at QB.   The ability to extend plays, pick up 3rd downs when needed and NOT turn the ball over are hallmarks of the Seattle offense.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe that if the Bengals had Carson Palmer and Bob Bratkowski, instead of Andy Dalton and Jay Gruden, but everything else was the same, that the Bengals would have achieved more success over the last 3 seasons? Not rhetorical, just an honest question.

Are you kidding?  The quitter would have been knocked out with another ACL and Bratkowski would be in rehab for alcoholism!

Doesn't matter when the Bengals lose, most fans will always be pissed we didn't win one more game... That's the difference between our fan base and others... If Marvin Lewis lost the AFC Chapionship game or the SB three years in a row our fan base would still say he sucks...

Doesn't matter when the Bengals lose, most fans will always be pissed we didn't win one more game... That's the difference between our fan base and others... If Marvin Lewis lost the AFC Chapionship game or the SB three years in a row our fan base would still say he sucks...

Nahh, most here have stated on numerous occasions that the next step was to have some playoff success, particularly with the team we had this year.  Losing at home in the manner we did was inexcusable.

Iif the Bengals had Carson Palmer and Bob Bratkowski, instead of Andy Dalton and Jay Gruden, but everything else was the same, that the Bengals would have achieved more success over the last 3 seasons?.

Not a fucking chance.

Howevah... Bob Bratkowski should NEVER be anyone's standard.

The Seahawks and 49ers both have solid teams who could win with just about any QB. They are good at playing to their strengths. If Dalton played for the Seahawks, he'd be a SB winner.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read, you are completely understating what Russell Wilson does for his team. Wilson is a big time playmaker who keeps calm under pressure and makes great decisions in the heat of the moment. The same cannot be said for Dalton, when big lights come on Dalton has played his worse and his decision making is suspect at best. 

Russell Wilson has won a Super Bowl while posting a 28-9 overall record in 2 years, was the Rookie of the Year, has a career QBR over 100(the only QB in the Super Bowl era to have a 100+ QB Rating in his first two years), and is 4-1 in two years in the postseason. Dalton isn't even in the same league as Wilson, the fact that you would even mention that is just stupid. In every playoff game Dalton has played horribly, committing 7 turnovers while scoring 1 TD. Dalton isn't a big game QB and hasn't shown that he will be every be one. 

Nahh, most here have stated on numerous occasions that the next step was to have some playoff success, particularly with the team we had this year.  Losing at home in the manner we did was inexcusable.

Yep.

I've made my opinion on Marvin very clear.  However, had we gotten a couple of rounds into the playoffs, or even gotten to the AFC Championship and then lost, or lost a close game on the road to NE, I would have softened my position, thinking that maybe it finally clicked for him and taken a "Let's see what happens next year" stance.  What we got was a team that was completely unprepared to play when it really mattered.  Again... 

Gruden told Lapham after the game that he had a run called and Dalton changed the play to a fade route to AJ, just another great decision by Dalton. 

Gruden told Lapham after the game that he had a run called and Dalton changed the play to a fade route to AJ, just another great decision by Dalton. 

it was most definitely a bad play by Dalton.  It was also a bad decision on Gruden's part to give the offense a play with a run/pass option and instructions to his QB to "take advantage when AJ has single coverage".

As for why Dalton decided to audible, who knows.  Gruden himself said he failed to send in the goalline package, so its possible Dalton saw a stacked box and didn't think a run would work with that personnel.  At the end of the day, Dalton threw a bad ball, but Gruden is also to blame for not having his goal line personnel in the game on a first and goal from the 1 yard line.  That's bad situational football.

it was most definitely a bad play by Dalton.  It was also a bad decision on Gruden's part to give the offense a play with a run/pass option and instructions to his QB to "take advantage when AJ has single coverage".

As for why Dalton decided to audible, who knows.  Gruden himself said he failed to send in the goalline package, so its possible Dalton saw a stacked box and didn't think a run would work with that personnel.  At the end of the day, Dalton threw a bad ball, but Gruden is also to blame for not having his goal line personnel in the game on a first and goal from the 1 yard line.  That's bad situational football.

And in that case, you let the clock wind down and call a time out.  Horrible situational awareness by both parties involved.  There was never a reason to even think about passing on first or second down in that situation. First and goal at the 1, 10 point lead, 8 plus left in the game, ALL of our timeouts left.  Just horrible.

Gruden said that Dalton thought a pass would be a good idea because Eifert, Alex Smith, and an o lineman were hurt at that time and AJ had single coverage. Gruden also said that whenever AJ is in single coverage they have the option to check into a pass play and throw it to AJ, regardless of what play is called. As for giving a 3rd year QB the option to change plays, I don't have a problem with that, however I do think the QB should use better judgement when changing those plays. 

And in that case, you let the clock wind down and call a time out.  Horrible situational awareness by both parties involved.  There was never a reason to even think about passing on first or second down in that situation. First and goal at the 1, 10 point lead, 8 plus left in the game, ALL of our timeouts left.  Just horrible.

oh yea, definitely.  Dalton absolutely should have called timeout and gotten the goal line package in there.  

oh yea, definitely.  Dalton absolutely should have called timeout and gotten the goal line package in there.  

Uhh, the coach can call a timeout in the NFL. They can even talk to their QB with them fancy wireless telegraph things and tell them they are going to do it.

Uhh, the coach can call a timeout in the NFL. They can even talk to their QB with them fancy wireless telegraph things and tell them they are going to do it.

oh they certainly could have called a time out (and the headsets cut out when the play clock hits 15), but IMO it's on Dalton to make that call.

oh they certainly could have called a time out (and the headsets cut out when the play clock hits 15), but IMO it's on Dalton to make that call.

Those are the kinds of plays that don't happen if you believe in your run offense.  Dalton doesn't need try to make perfect throws or try to make something out of nothing if the run game is legit.  Also, the defense has to play fairly if the threat of a run is there.  If teams learn anything from the superbowl it's that balance is way more important than having a great QB or a great running game.  Balance out the offense, strengthen our depth on D and they win more than one playoff game next year.

Archived