Michael Sam, a College Football Standout, Says He Is Gay

Harley

That article pisses me off a bit. This is 2014. Nobody cares where you like to put your dick unless it's in animals or underage children. If football is a "man's man" game, then grow the fuck up and deal with your phobia of the gays.

It has nothing to do with people liking/disliking the gays. it has to do with the media circus that follows it. Why do you think Tim Tebow is out of football? Do you really think Tim Tebow is worse than Kellen Clemens or Josh Johsnon? Of course not, but no team wants to deal with every media outlet in the world reporting on the daily happenings of their back-up QB. I don't want Sam on the Bengals and I don't care what anyone else thinks about that. This team has a realistic chance at a Super Bowl next season. Why would I want a potential circus (a la 2010) to hinder that in even the smallest way? he's a mid-round talent with a high bust rate, just like everyone else. The potential circus the media will bring to our organization is not worth it. 

The other issue for the team is if this dude gets an issue based backing like Tebow had.  So now everything he does is a circus even if the team itself has no internal issues.  Coaches don't play him - are they homophobes or does the dude suck?  I can see a team not being thrilled with this prospect.

good point

It has nothing to do with people liking/disliking the gays. it has to do with the media circus that follows it. Why do you think Tim Tebow is out of football? Do you really think Tim Tebow is worse than Kellen Clemens or Josh Johsnon? Of course not, but no team wants to deal with every media outlet in the world reporting on the daily happenings of their back-up QB. I don't want Sam on the Bengals and I don't care what anyone else thinks about that. This team has a realistic chance at a Super Bowl next season. Why would I want a potential circus (a la 2010) to hinder that in even the smallest way? he's a mid-round talent with a high bust rate, just like everyone else. The potential circus the media will bring to our organization is not worth it. 

It's a media circus if the media chooses to make it one, if he goes to a small market team that doesn't have an aggressive media then it won't be a big story throughout the season. As long as he's not hitting on guys in the locker room then it won't be a big deal. Besides he's not the only gay dude playing football in college or the NFL. 

Sam is a good prospect, he was a first team all-american and SEC defensive player of the year, I would love to have his skill set on our team. 

It's a media circus if the media chooses to make it one, if he goes to a small market team that doesn't have an aggressive media then it won't be a big story throughout the season. As long as he's not hitting on guys in the locker room then it won't be a big deal. Besides he's not the only gay dude playing football in college or the NFL. 

Sam is a good prospect, he was a first team all-american and SEC defensive player of the year, I would love to have skill set on our team. 

they ALWAYS want to make it one.

this dude could play on the fucking moon and the national media is going to be there...at first anyway..

As I said earlier.. I am not sure how the locker room will be, but I would be shocked if the media doesn't try to make this in to a huge thing.

Other players have came out..but it's been soccer or a washed up basketball player.. Not like this... I think this is the first big time male athlete.

The other issue for the team is if this dude gets an issue based backing like Tebow had.  So now everything he does is a circus even if the team itself has no internal issues.  Coaches don't play him - are they homophobes or does the dude suck?  I can see a team not being thrilled with this prospect.

Don't forget, every OTHER player in that locker room will be questioned about how they feel about having a gay team mate.  Do you really want some of the players on your team actually answering that?  Do you want to put your players in that position?  Do you want your players to have to answer questions about another guy's lifestyle instead of football?

Its not like he is Jadeveon Clowney who is a pretty close to a can't miss player or Jackie Robinson who was a great talent. 

I can certainly see why many NFL GMs would not want the guy on the team.  They have enough issues player wise to deal with.

If this guy really does drop in the draft because of this, I can easily see the Bengals taking him. Cincinnati would be a good place for him.

For everyone who has he's too small he's the same height and about 5 pounds lighter than the guy who lead the Bengals, a top 5 defense, in sacks in 2014. We would be lucky to have this guy on our team.  i don't care who is fucking and if you think he's only guy in the NFL that likes dudes then you are delusional. Besides if I were a teammate I would rather a guy be upfront and honest about who he is vs. someone lie to you because they are ashamed of who they are or they think you won't be able to handle how they live there life. 

they ALWAYS want to make it one.

this dude could play on the fucking moon and the national media is going to be there...at first anyway..

As I said earlier.. I am not sure how the locker room will be, but I would be shocked if the media doesn't try to make this in to a huge thing.

Other players have came out..but it's been soccer or a washed up basketball player.. Not like this... I think this is the first big time male athlete.

It will be a big a story for a few weeks and then something else will happen and it will go away. The attention span of the NFL fan and the news cycle is so short that by the time the season starts it won't even be a big deal. People will move on and something else to worry about. I think Sam is smart for putting it out there now so that he can control the story and get it out of everyone's system so that people can accept who he is and move on with their lives. 

Honestly as long as he isn't breaking any laws I don't see the problem, can't understand why an organization wouldn't want this guy because of his sexual orientation. 

Don't forget, every OTHER player in that locker room will be questioned about how they feel about having a gay team mate.  Do you really want some of the players on your team actually answering that?  Do you want to put your players in that position?  Do you want your players to have to answer questions about another guy's lifestyle instead of football?

Its not like he is Jadeveon Clowney who is a pretty close to a can't miss player or Jackie Robinson who was a great talent. 

I can certainly see why many NFL GMs would not want the guy on the team.  They have enough issues player wise to deal with.

Exactly! How do we know there isn't someone on the team who would publicly reject him as a teammate. The odds of finding 53 males who are all for it is slim to none. The potential distractions are limitless. Why would you want even a 1% possibility that this could hurt our chances of succeeding next year? Let him play for someone else. 

For everyone who has he's too small he's the same height and about 5 pounds lighter than the guy who lead the Bengals, a top 5 defense, in sacks in 2014. We would be lucky to have this guy on our team.  i don't care who is fucking and if you think he's only guy in the NFL that likes dudes then you are delusional. Besides if I were a teammate I would rather a guy be upfront and honest about who he is vs. someone lie to you because they are ashamed of who they are or they think you won't be able to handle how they live there life. 

It will be a big a story for a few weeks and then something else will happen and it will go away. The attention span of the NFL fan and the news cycle is so short that by the time the season starts it won't even be a big deal. People will move on and something else to worry about. I think Sam is smart for putting it out there now so that he can control the story and get it out of everyone's system so that people can accept who he is and move on with their lives. 

Honestly as long as he isn't breaking any laws I don't see the problem, can't understand why an organization wouldn't want this guy because of his sexual orientation. 

The Tebow story has never gone away. Fans may not care about him, but the media sure as hell does. What happens if he sucks and we, as fans, call for him to be cut? Do we then get called homophobes? What if during training camp, he gets into a typical fight with another teammate? Do we have to cut the other guy for potentially being a bigot? What if an OL takes his knees out on a cut-block? Does that guy get suspended for intolerance? The media will make this a circus like you have never seen before. if he slips to the 6th round, every GM who passed on him will be called a homophobe. They did the same thing to the NBA teams with Jason Collins and he's literally not even good enough to be in the league.

Truth be told, I find this whole, "I'm Gay",  thing here lately overplayed and

quite boring.  Personally, I'm tired of all of this.   Why does someones sexual

preference have a forum anyway?  Every week someone is coming out gay and

then everyone says: "You go girl".  Gay this, gay that, every week.   

Heaver forbid someone not be on board with the Gay thing.  I don't care one  

bit what someone does in the bedroom.  Media whores this to no end and

it's really stale.

Yeah, really overplayed. First openly gay man in NFL history has been PLAYED TO DEATH. 

While you have your beliefs, it's also pretty easy to read what you've written above as just another expression of intolerance. 

Media whore?  I guess you could say the same about Jackie Robinson?  Martin Luther King Jr.?  Gandhi?

Bravo Michael Sam, BRAVO!

I, for one, would welcome you on this team with open arms, and support any attempts you made to continue your brave efforts to limit hate in this world.

And after reading this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sports/michael-sam-college-football-star-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html?hp

I'd love to have you on my team because I know you're going to be a helluva player and locker room presence.  This is different from a guy already coming out who's been closeted on your team.  A team now gets to say, "You know what?  We're going to welcome this guy into our family."  Missouri did it, and he was the best and most popular player on their team.

Michael Sam is going to be special. 

Write. It. Down.

LOL....have YOU ever been in a locker room before?   All societal norms, mores etc... don't apply there.   None of those considerations are made by the players....none.   All they see when they see him is a gay dude.   A majority I should say, not all players but it dominates the lockerroom. 

I have been in locker rooms my entire life. People don't care about this stuff. When their is good leadership it comes out and the team just works through it. They see a football player...how can you help this team. If he happens to be gay, muslim, atheist, asian. That's just a part of who he is. A part they may focus on and pick on but not, atleast in a good locker room, in a way that is meant to be destructive. It just won't matter after his first game. No one will care. They may joke around about it in the locker room but they just won't care. 

Just look at the Incognito Martin brew ha ha.  What is laughable is people seem to think Incognito is far from the norm.  He isn't.   

Very similar to what goes on during combat operations.  The mindset completely changes and societal norms go completely out the window.  What they do in front of the camera is ACTING.

Incognito has been thrown off several teams for being a head case. He is far far far from the norm in the locker room. 

Just look at the Incognito Martin brew ha ha.  What is laughable is people seem to think Incognito is far from the norm.  He isn't.   

Very similar to what goes on during combat operations.  The mindset completely changes and societal norms go completely out the window.  What they do in front of the camera is ACTING.

Combats a perfect example. Do you think that someone cares whether or not someone is gay or not when they are covering their back? They care whether or not they can shoot and follow the procedures. 

This is easily solvable. Draft him. Have one press conference. Sit him there next to your most well spoken straight player and tell the media they are both here to talk about their sexual orientation. It will be shown immediately how ridiculous it all is and the circus is cut in half to start off.  

It has nothing to do with people liking/disliking the gays. it has to do with the media circus that follows it. Why do you think Tim Tebow is out of football? Do you really think Tim Tebow is worse than Kellen Clemens or Josh Johsnon? 

Tim Tebow was a horrible QB. He is way worse then Kellen Clemens.

They can deal with a few questions. They are grown ups. If they can't it's their problem. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb-JZSyhWSc

A guy can't play football because you don't want a straight player to have to answer a few questions. 

Exactly! How do we know there isn't someone on the team who would publicly reject him as a teammate. The odds of finding 53 males who are all for it is slim to none. The potential distractions are limitless. Why would you want even a 1% possibility that this could hurt our chances of succeeding next year? Let him play for someone else. 

How do you know Muslim players won't be publicly rejected?

You don't discriminate because of potential distractions. You hire talent and educate. 

Do we then get called homophobes? What if during training camp, he gets into a typical fight with another teammate? Do we have to cut the other guy for potentially being a bigot? What if an OL takes his knees out on a cut-block? Does that guy get suspended for intolerance? The media will make this a circus like you have never seen before. if he slips to the 6th round, every GM who passed on him will be called a homophobe. They did the same thing to the NBA teams with Jason Collins and he's literally not even good enough to be in the league.

The answer is No. 

Who is saying that Jason Collins is some all-star who is being railroaded out of the league because he is gay. I don't think he even says that. He is a fringe NBA player, he is 35. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/987/jason-collins

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10300409/john-amaechi-says-jason-collins-limited-age-not-sexuality?ex_cid=espnapi_public

They can deal with a few questions. They are grown ups. If they can't it's their problem. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb-JZSyhWSc

A guy can't play football because you don't want a straight player to have to answer a few questions.

No, it becomes your team's problem. If you don't think there are Chris Culliver's on all 32 teams you are crazy. Hypothetically speaking, lets say AJ Green is ultra-Catholic and is armament about not wanting to be around Michael Sam, he then demands a trade and says he refuses to re-sign with the Bengals. Not saying its likely, but hypothetically speaking, what do you do? I guess you would want Green off the team for being a Bigot. I'm a fan of the Bengals. AJ Green is much more important than Michael Sam. Give me the good football player bigot over the socially-conscious 3-13 Bengals any day of th week. This isn't the New York Times, it's not a social justic program, winning is most important.

The Tebow story has never gone away. Fans may not care about him, but the media sure as hell does. What happens if he sucks and we, as fans, call for him to be cut? Do we then get called homophobes? What if during training camp, he gets into a typical fight with another teammate? Do we have to cut the other guy for potentially being a bigot? What if an OL takes his knees out on a cut-block? Does that guy get suspended for intolerance? The media will make this a circus like you have never seen before. if he slips to the 6th round, every GM who passed on him will be called a homophobe. They did the same thing to the NBA teams with Jason Collins and he's literally not even good enough to be in the league.

Tebow? No one is talking about Tebow nor have they been since last offseason. If Sam sucks, which I doubt he will, then will be judged as a player, not because of his sexual orientation.

All of your what if scenarios are ridiculous, seriously where are you getting this stuff from? If he is a 6th round pick then every NFL team is a homophobe, even the team that drafts him because they passed on him 5 previous times? That doesn't make sense. Why are you so worried about being called a homophobe? 

As for Jason Collins, he was a marginal at best center who is easily replaceable by someone much younger and cheaper, and that's why he's not in the NBA. Before he came out he wasn't a full time player, he was guy who was signed half way through the season. Since 07' Collins only played in 50% of the NBA games in 1 season, the reason why he wasn't resigned isn't because he came out, it's because he's old and not good enough to make a NBA roster at this point in his career. If he was young and worth developing then he would be on a roster right now. 

Personally I don't agree with homosexuality, but it doesn't matter what I agree with because it's Sam's life. I can't judge him for his life decisions because I have to worry about my own life decisions. As a Christian it tells us in the Bible to not to condemn others, let God be the judge of how others live their life. Besides, is Sams sexual orientation worse than guys who have multiple children with multiple woman and are married to none of them, from a Christian standpoint that is wrong just like homosexuality is wrong....right?

Tim Tebow was a horrible QB. He is way worse then Kellen Clemens.

Okey doke, how many division titles has Kellen Clemens won? How many playoff games has Kellen Clemens won? Who do you want in the 4th quarter, Kellen Clemens or Tim Tebow? Tebow is not in the league right now because he is viewed as a distraction. The cons of the circus that he brings with him far outweigh the pro's of his QB play. 

I guarantee he sucks...

The answer is No. 

Who is saying that Jason Collins is some all-star who is being railroaded out of the league because he is gay. I don't think he even says that. He is a fringe NBA player, he is 35. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/987/jason-collins

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10300409/john-amaechi-says-jason-collins-limited-age-not-sexuality?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Go read the ridiculousness of these articles:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=237166792

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/10/openly-gay-jason-collins-wonders-why-no-nba-team-has-signed-him/

http://deadspin.com/michael-sam-shouldnt-have-to-do-this-alone-1519827022

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/opinion/pearlman-wheres-jason-collins/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/three-months-coming-closet-jason-collins-still-without-181353522.html

http://deadspin.com/is-the-nfl-blacklisting-kerry-rhodes-1300128496

The media is already making excuses for him not being drafted. It's absolutely insane. I want my team to win and he doesn't seem to profile as some type of game-changing player. This is an NFL team, not a social justice program. He;s a distraction. Go let Jacksonville draft him. 

Archived