Michael Sam, a College Football Standout, Says He Is Gay

Harley

Okey doke, how many division titles has Kellen Clemens won? How many playoff games has Kellen Clemens won? Who do you want in the 4th quarter, Kellen Clemens or Tim Tebow? Tebow is not in the league right now because he is viewed as a distraction. The cons of the circus that he brings with him far outweigh the pro's of his QB play. 

Tim Tebow is a legitimately terrible quarterback. He's not in the league because he's not worth a shit as a quarterback and won't play any other position.

No, it becomes your team's problem. If you don't think there are Chris Culliver's on all 32 teams you are crazy. Hypothetically speaking, lets say AJ Green is ultra-Catholic and is armament about not wanting to be around Michael Sam, he then demands a trade and says he refuses to re-sign with the Bengals. Not saying its likely, but hypothetically speaking, what do you do? I guess you would want Green off the team for being a Bigot. I'm a fan of the Bengals. AJ Green is much more important than Michael Sam. Give me the good football player bigot over the socially-conscious 3-13 Bengals any day of th week. This isn't the New York Times, it's not a social justic program, winning is most important.

Then AJ Green better grow up fast. My leisure time doesn't trump human rights. 

Okey doke, how many division titles has Kellen Clemens won? How many playoff games has Kellen Clemens won? Who do you want in the 4th quarter, Kellen Clemens or Tim Tebow? Tebow is not in the league right now because he is viewed as a distraction. The cons of the circus that he brings with him far outweigh the pro's of his QB play. 

Tebow is awful. He is not in the league because he can't complete a pass. 

Tebow? No one is talking about Tebow nor have they been since last offseason. If Sam sucks, which I doubt he will, then will be judged as a player, not because of his sexual orientation.

All of your what if scenarios are ridiculous, seriously where are you getting this stuff from? If he is a 6th round pick then every NFL team is a homophobe, even the team that drafts him because they passed on him 5 previous times? That doesn't make sense. Why are you so worried about being called a homophobe? 

As for Jason Collins, he was a marginal at best center who is easily replaceable by someone much younger and cheaper, and that's why he's not in the NBA. Before he came out he wasn't a full time player, he was guy who was signed half way through the season. Since 07' Collins only played in 50% of the NBA games in 1 season, the reason why he wasn't resigned isn't because he came out, it's because he's old and not good enough to make a NBA roster at this point in his career. If he was young and worth developing then he would be on a roster right now. 

Personally I don't agree with homosexuality, but it doesn't matter what I agree with because it's Sam's life. I can't judge him for his life decisions because I have to worry about my own life decisions. As a Christian it tells us in the Bible to not to condemn others, let God be the judge of how others live their life. Besides, is Sams sexual orientation worse than guys who have multiple children with multiple woman and are married to none of them, from a Christian standpoint that is wrong just like homosexuality is wrong....right?

Right, because the 6,000 media credentials that will be handed out during Training Camp will be because of his speed off the edge. I can guarantee you that if he doesn't pan out within a few years on the Bengals and gets cut, there will be numerous articles written about how the NFL culture just couldn't allow someone like Sam to thrive. My scenarios are not ridiculous because in my profession, I am well aware of how the media works. I know the people who write this stuff, I know the way they think, and I know the reasons behind the way they write about it. I would bet my 401k on the fact that all of the scenarios I laid out would draw an immediate media reaction. Look at Chris Kluwe, he's not even gay, yet, as soon as he was cut for being below-average, he went straight to the microphones to claim he was being black-listed. The writing is on the wall for how this is going to go. 

Tim Tebow is a legitimately terrible quarterback. He's not in the league because he's not worth a shit as a quarterback and won't play any other position.

You didn't answer my question. 

Go read the ridiculousness of these articles:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=237166792

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/10/openly-gay-jason-collins-wonders-why-no-nba-team-has-signed-him/

http://deadspin.com/michael-sam-shouldnt-have-to-do-this-alone-1519827022

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/opinion/pearlman-wheres-jason-collins/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/three-months-coming-closet-jason-collins-still-without-181353522.html

http://deadspin.com/is-the-nfl-blacklisting-kerry-rhodes-1300128496

The media is already making excuses for him not being drafted. It's absolutely insane. I want my team to win and he doesn't seem to profile as some type of game-changing player. This is an NFL team, not a social justice program. He;s a distraction. Go let Jacksonville draft him. 

You are a Bengals fan?  A Paul Brown established Bengals team? 

From Wikipedia: "Brown is credited with a number of American football innovations. He was the first coach to use game film to scout opponents, hire a full-time staff of assistants, and test players on their knowledge of a playbook.[1] He invented the modern face mask, the taxi squad and the draw play. He also played a role in breaking professional football's color barrier, bringing some of the first African-Americans to play pro football in the modern era onto his teams."

You're a distraction.    

Right, because the 6,000 media credentials that will be handed out during Training Camp will be because of his speed off the edge. I can guarantee you that if he doesn't pan out within a few years on the Bengals and gets cut, there will be numerous articles written about how the NFL culture just couldn't allow someone like Sam to thrive. My scenarios are not ridiculous because in my profession, I am well aware of how the media works. I know the people who write this stuff, I know the way they think, and I know the reasons behind the way they write about it. I would bet my 401k on the fact that all of the scenarios I laid out would draw an immediate media reaction. Look at Chris Kluwe, he's not even gay, yet, as soon as he was cut for being below-average, he went straight to the microphones to claim he was being black-listed. The writing is on the wall for how this is going to go. 

You didn't answer my question. 

Did he go straight to the microphones? What's your profession?

Kluwe was a massive distraction because he made himself one while he was an active player. I don't think Michael Sam is interested in writing public letters to his congressman about lustful cockmonsters. If you watched his interviews, Sam explained exactly why he came out publicly. He came out to his team before the season and it was open knowledge at Mizzou, and he made a public announcement so that NFL scouts/managers would know directly from him, rather than hearing it secondhand or through media rumors.

Then AJ Green better grow up fast. My leisure time doesn't trump human rights. 

It has nothing to do with growing up! Perhaps AJ Green feels like Michael Sam is nothing more than a human publicity stunt. Maybe he's uncomfortable sharing a shower with Sam. Who are you to tell him to grow up? Sorry, but I really could care less about AJ Green and Michael Sam as people. They are my leisure time and if Sam's decision means AJ Green leaving, he;s ruining my leisure time and Michael Sam can take a hike. I'm straight. i also don't remember going to Subway this weekend and prefacing with that before my order. No one cares. Stop making a spectacle of yourself and move on. Don't ask, don't tell was perfect. No one needs to know the details of everyone else's private life. 

Tebow isn't in the league because he can't throw a 10 yard out with any consistency, do you really believe that if Tebow could play the QB position with any semblance of  consistency that an NFL team wouldn't have him on the roster? There is no conspiracy against Tebow, his game just doesn't translate well into the NFL. He's not bigger or faster than NFL defenders and he can't throw accurately on consistent basis, that is why Tebow isn't in the NFL. 

You are a Bengals fan?  A Paul Brown established Bengals team? 

From Wikipedia: "Brown is credited with a number of American football innovations. He was the first coach to use game film to scout opponents, hire a full-time staff of assistants, and test players on their knowledge of a playbook.[1] He invented the modern face mask, the taxi squad and the draw play. He also played a role in breaking professional football's color barrier, bringing some of the first African-Americans to play pro football in the modern era onto his teams."

You're a distraction.    

? You really can't really hide the fact that you're black. What does football have to do with being gay? When you go on a job interview, do you preface it by announcing whether you are straight or gay? This guy did. He seems to be a bit of an attention-hog. He could have gone about his life this off-season. If it came up during an interview somehow, he could have just told the truth, I'd respect that. To carefully craft the message and the timing, makes him a side-show. I don't like side-shows. 

Tebow isn't in the league because he can't throw a 10 yard out with any consistency, do you really believe that if Tebow could play the QB position with any semblance of  consistency that an NFL team wouldn't have him on the roster? There is no conspiracy against Tebow, his game just doesn't translate well into the NFL. He's not bigger or faster than NFL defenders and he can't throw accurately on consistent basis, that is why Tebow isn't in the NFL. 

Tebow's not a very good QB, but there's worse QB's than him currently in the league.  

Tebow's not currently in the league because of the baggage that comes with him and the distraction it can bring.  He's not good enough to be a starter, and no team wants a backup QB who could be a distraction.

Not sure why that comes as a surprise to anyone.  It's wildly known.  

Yet he led his team to a division title and a playoff win... He also hasn't started a game since. That's why, despite being listed as the no. 2 QB on the depth chart in New York, he was passed over for the the no. 3 QB. Rex Ryan knew that if he succeeded at the end of the season and won some games, the fan base would demand that he start permanently. It sure as heck wasn't because Greg McElroy is much better than him. Hence, McElroy being listed behind him on the depth chart.

Btw, Tebow has a .571 winning percentage in his career.

Combats a perfect example. Do you think that someone cares whether or not someone is gay or not when they are covering their back? They care whether or not they can shoot and follow the procedures.

They also expect the SAME treatment in the military.  The NFL is driven by the media and you can bet the media will handle this much the same way Tebow was.   Instead of looking at him as a PLAYER, they will look at him as a cause.

If Tebow can't complete a 10yd pass, how did his manage to lead his team to a playoff victory as well as season victories?   He was drafted in the 1st Rd by a pretty good offensive mind.  Wouldn't NFL scouts be able to tell he can't complete a 10 yd pass?  Yet he was drafted in Rd 1.  

I'm not making judgement either way....just saying. 

I think Tebow is out of the league because what he brings as a QB, doesn't trump the media circus that surrounds him at every turn.   Just not worth it.   Doesn't mean he can't complete a pass like some people are making it out to be. 

Don't ask, don't tell was perfect.

For you it was. 

For people who had to continue living their lives in shame, and hiding their identity in the dark, it wasn't (they could get fired for telling, remember?). 

And that's why you are a bigot.  Because you don't even see the way in which your desire to just be left alone is, in fact, not letting someone else be left alone.  And it's going to take the Michael Sams of the world coming out to get us to the point where this truly isn't an issue.  But as we can see from all of the reactions already, it is an issue - which is exactly why this needs to happen, and why he is pioneer and a hero to anyone who cares about human rights.

White men tend not to understand this shit very well, with greater understanding coming as you take each additional step down the stairway of power and privilege.  You can't be for human rights, or civil rights, or any rights, really, for just some of the people.  Or the ones that suit you.

History is marching forward, and you'll be left in its dust along with those who said they weren't rascist, they just didn't believe that the coloreds needed to go to the same schools as the white children, or to marry white people, and on and on and on...

And you're right. Eventually it won't be an issue.  But it won't be an issue thanks to Michael Sam, and thanks to people like you either getting normalized by society (just look at how quickly we've become tolerant of homosexuality in general, in the last 10 years) or dying away.

The world will be a fucked up place in the future for a lot of reasons.  But treating gay people like, um, people?  That won't be one of them.

They also expect the SAME treatment in the military.  The NFL is driven by the media and you can bet the media will handle this much the same way Tebow was.   Instead of looking at him as a PLAYER, they will look at him as a cause.

Exactly! The media, politicians, etc. will use him as a cause, just the way they did with Jason Collins (who was more than willing to go along with it). Jason Collins was not at the SOTU speech because of his interior post defense. Sam will be used to further a cause. The fact that he contrived some sort of planned interview/speech to announce it to the whole world probably doesn't bode well for the prospects of this going away quickly. He could have mentioned it to teams in th same way he did at Mizzou. He was asked to speak about himself and he mentioned he was gay. It wasn't some choreographed show for the world. 

I'm sure the media distraction is part of Tebow's problem, but there is no way to justify this dude as a legit NFL QB. None. His mechanics are awful. He's incredibly inaccurate. He had some marginal success because his team ran the zone read before it was being widely used in the NFL. The 2011 team he played on won a ridiculously mediocre division. 

I'm sure the media distraction is part of Tebow's problem, but there is no way to justify this dude as a legit NFL QB. None. His mechanics are awful. He's incredibly inaccurate. He had some marginal success because his team ran the zone read before it was being widely used in the NFL. The 2011 team he played on won a ridiculously mediocre division. 

Yet Josh Johnson collects an NFL paycheck...

And that's why you are a bigot

AND THERE IT IS!!! I'm surprised it took this long for it to be uttered. That's why your cause is still stuck in the mud. You shout everyone with a differing opinion down as a bigot. Defend your point without uttering hateful names at others and then people will take the time to hear you out.

AND THERE IT IS!!! I'm surprised it took this long for it to be uttered. That's why your cause is still stuck in the mud. You shout everyone with a differing opinion down as a bigot. Defend your point without uttering hateful names at others and then people will take the time to hear you out.

No. I tell people who have bigoted views that they are bigots.  Pretty simple. You are arguing for the continued oppression of people. I am arguing against it.

What's said, though far from unusual, is that you simply don't understand that your behavior is homophobic, wrapped up in some bullshit rationalization so you can call it something else.  You're the one saying Don't Ask Don't Tell was perfect. I don't suppose you ever had any gay friends (or probably even acquaintances, but the next time you come to NYC and see one on the street, stop him or her and ask if they think Don't Ask Don't Tell was homophobic, or bigoted, or a violation of their civil rights.  To a person, they will tell you it was.

You're the one arguing for it. Arguing that, as long as things go the way YOU WANT THEM to go, then you don't have a problem. 

I take heart and encouragement from your offense, though.  It shows just how far we've come, and just how powerful the tide against you is growing.

Fascists always defend their conservative ways in the exact same manner, and as it is tolerated they get emboldened with each little step.  When people stand up to them, they squirm and whine and cry like any bully does when you punch him in the nose.

And no amount of believing that, just because you live in a part of the country where everyone thinks they way you do, or because you listen to fat bloated fucks who spew their hatred on the radio with their pseudo-intellectual guise...nothing can change the fact that you have lost control, and with each day your grip gets looser and looser. 

History has spoken.  You are on the wrong side of it.

I have an opportunity to hear cases at times which deal with "discrimination" and "hate crimes". They are very interesting, in that the underlying laws deal with direct violations of established laws. That is: laws, not thoughts or even speech.

Judgments that are made in these areas, are made in accordance with the rule of law, and not in the Court of Public Opinion. And that is a good thing. If it were other, this society would be Oceania.     

Archived