Michael Sam, a College Football Standout, Says He Is Gay

Harley

Lets do this for one second...equate gay to being a 6-8 former hammer thrower from Estonia. Great story initially, the guys on hard knocks picked on him about being Ivan Drago, he made hilarious jokes about things, there were articles about him picking things up and what not. Eventually they will stop talking about his transition to the NFL and his limited football experience. After awhile it's just a thing. It's a trait. They care how you play football not where you came from or what your differences are. 

No, you're making yourself out to be an ignoramus, and it's pretty evident to everyone except 1181, and that's only because he tries to see the good side in everyone.

Josh Johnson has 5 TD's and 20 INT's and fumbles in his career. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you had never seen Josh Johnson play a down of NFL football before this season. Somehow though, you are confident he's infinitely better than a QB who led his team to a division title and playoff win in his only season as a starter. Seeing as how this makes absolutely zero sense, can I infer that there is perhaps a racial element to this type of nonsensical argument you are making? I don't know, I just can't think of any other way that you can rationalize your argument.

Kluwe is right (so was Richard Sherman):

Kluwe warns that “distraction” is code for intolerance
Posted by Mike Florio on February 10, 2014, 2:21 PM EST

kluwe.jpg?w=236Getty Images

Three weeks ago, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman suggested that “thug” has become code for racial slurs.  Former NFL punter Chris Kluwe has applied that same argument to the circumstances confronting former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam.

In Kluwe’s mind, another term suggests intolerance to sexual orientation.

“The code word to look for here is ‘distraction,’” Kluwe told Henry Lake and Jay Binkley of 610 SportsRadio in Kansas City.  “They always love to use that word, ‘distraction.’ It reminds me a lot of what Richard Sherman was talking about, when he said, ‘Why it was OK for everyone to call me a thug when it’s a code word for the N-word now?’ In this case, ‘distraction’ really seems to be a code word for, ‘I’m intolerant and I don’t like gay people. And I think it’s going to distract people because I’m personally distracted by it.’”

Kluwe is right, to an extent.  Some coaches and/or General Managers will hide behind the term “distraction” because they simply don’t want to have an openly gay player in the locker room, either because they disagree with that orientation or because they fear the locker room will become divided and dysfunctional.

But some teams truly won’t want the distraction that comes from the enhanced media attention, the Tebow-style coverage of training camp (and you can bet that ESPN will set up shop wherever Sam is practicing in late July), and everything else that goes along with being the first team to have an openly gay NFL player.

In this case, “distraction” can have two meanings.  It can mean what it says — because, clearly, Sam’s presence will be a distraction, at least in the short term.  It also can mean something nefarious.

Manti Te’o was a potential distraction in 2013, and the Chargers didn’t hesitate to move up in round two to get him.  Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin will be distractions in 2014, but both will likely find NFL homes.  Tim Tebow is a major distraction — and largely because of that he remains unemployed.

Sam will get a chance to show that he can play at the NFL level, and that he can deal with the burdens of being the first openly gay NFL player.  Ultimately, teams are looking for players who can help them win games.  For at least one NFL team, the possibility that Sam will develop into a potent pass rusher will outweigh whatever short-term distractions may arise from selecting him.

For others, Kluwe may be right.  The unwillingness to embrace a “distraction” possibly will flow from a reluctance to accept Sam for who he is.

I feel like you are playing a WWE heal character or something and just taking an absurdly indefensible stance that really makes no sense. I doubt you are really that selfish to say "quit making a spectacle of yourself by living your identity outwardly, hid your identity so my football is more exciting."

Your right, perhaps I'm a relic from some other crazy point in time. A time when a persons sexual preference was no one's business but their own. A time when it was considered taboo to voluntarily tell a world that doesn't care about you, who exactly you choose to sleep with. A pre-Facebook and twitter world where coordinating an interview in order to spill your most personal and intimate details about your life was considered narcissistic. A time where, if you so chose, just simply telling anyone the truth who asked was considered sane and rational. A time when it was considered a realistic possibility that someone who volunteered all of this personal information to the world, rather than perhaps just answering the questions at the combine, or perhaps just sending out a memo to all teams, telling them the truth, that maybe they had some sort of ulterior motive (whether prominence, money, or just simply soothing your own ego), as opposed to be a courageous Jackie Robinson type figure. A time when having a different point of view didn't necessarily make you an evil bigot, dead-set on setting america back 50 years.

Perhaps your right, the ass backwards, narcissistic America that I live in now is here to stay. That doesn't mean it's a good thing though

I never said Tebow was better than Josh Johnson - that was another poster. The comparison between the two is beside the point, both of them suck, and you are using JJ as a straw man.

JJ is a second string QB in the NFL. He's no better than Tebow. The distraction Tebow brings is the reason he isn't in the NFL. Certain posters on here are unwilling to admit that fact.

JJ is a second string QB in the NFL. He's no better than Tebow. The distraction Tebow brings is the reason he isn't in the NFL. Certain posters on here are unwilling to admit that fact.

I certainly did agree that the distraction element is a big reason Tebow is not in the NFL. I do not agree that it's the only or even the main reason. If he was truly a good quarterback and could help a team win, he would be worth the "distraction." Nobody is going to sign him when he's maybe marginally better than a few backups in the league.

I guess Mike Vick wasn't a distraction when they let his twisted ass back in the league

They never should have let him back in the league, but sadly, the media views the anti-social, criminal behavior of many athletes in sports to be common-place. To the warped media, this gay thing is a much bigger deal than a hardened criminal returning to the NFL to play QB.

I certainly did agree that the distraction element is a big reason Tebow is not in the NFL. I do not agree that it's the only or even the main reason. If he was truly a good quarterback and could help a team win, he would be worth the "distraction." Nobody is going to sign him when he's maybe marginally better than a few backups in the league.

Obviously his ability is preventing him from ever becoming a starting QB in the league again. However, I would argue that Tebow is, at least, as good as most of the number 2 QB's in the league. guys like Dominique Davis, Drew Stanton, Josh Johnson, Kellen Moore, Scott Tolzien, Luke McCown, Curtis Painter, Matt Simms, Kellen Clemens, Dan Orloveky are all terrible QB's who no one would ever fear facing. Tebow, on the other hand, would scare the life out of me if he came in during the 4th quarter against my team.

HA! What a laugh. I'm just catching up to this tebow hilarity now.

Tim Tebow has a wind-up and release that you can time with an hour glass.  And that might even get overlooked if he could hit the broad side of a barn, but he can't.  Teboy should have taken the not-so-subtle urging he got from teams to change position, to FB or TE or H-back.  He didn't, because he had an agenda, and apparently he could only spread his Jesus love to the world from the QB position.  After all, let's admit it: Jesus would have been the QB.

Nope, if Tebow could play - or was willing to play the position that teams encouraged him to give a shot - he would be playing.  Distraction?  He brought adoration from legions of fans convinced he would be there new Messiah.  I guess now they can all tune in to ESPN to get his deep spiritual football analysis.

And these issues aren't even close to related.  Sam is trying to put his identity behind him by putting an end to the whispers.  Will he become an advocate for gay people?  I hope so.  But what he won't do is thank his boyfriend for the great rim job he got to inspire him for the game, the way Tebow brought Jesus into every interview.  But that said, I still didn't hold that against Tebow, and he's certainly no rarity among players who thank JC and the Boys before doing an interview.

Because, you know, people should be allow to be who they want to be, and do what they want to do.  I would no more begrudge Tebow the ability to thump his bible than I would Sam to thump his boyfriend.  To each his own. 

It's you that has an issue with Sam doing his thumping, and yet are trying to turn it into some kind of Christian persecution narrative.  That would almost be laughable if you weren't following a script as old as fascism itself.  Because, after all, fascism has always used Christianity as the bedrock of it's ideology and legitimacy.  Those ____________ (you can fill in the blanks but popular choices have included Jews, Gypsies, Communists, Gays, etc.) are destroying the fabric of our society by their un-christian behavior.  Let us cleanse ourselves of them!

Fundamentalism, whether its Islamic or Christian or Zoastrian, is based on fear, but it uses that fear to fuel further ignorance and hate.  I understand and sympathize with the fear that the fabric of society is coming unraveled, and surely there must some ways we can slow it (I'm a big believer in Family Values, for example (although I'm pretty sure you and I would have VERY different definitions of what "family" can be), but begrudging people of their ability to be who they are and to express that however they may is simply not the way.

HA! What a laugh. I'm just catching up to this tebow hilarity now.

Tim Tebow has a wind-up and release that you can time with an hour glass.  And that might even get overlooked if he could hit the broad side of a barn, but he can't.  Teboy should have taken the not-so-subtle urging he got from teams to change position, to FB or TE or H-back.  He didn't, because he had an agenda, and apparently he could only spread his Jesus love to the world from the QB position.  After all, let's admit it: Jesus would have been the QB.

Nope, if Tebow could play - or was willing to play the position that teams encouraged him to give a shot - he would be playing.  Distraction?  He brought adoration from legions of fans convinced he would be there new Messiah.  I guess now they can all tune in to ESPN to get his deep spiritual football analysis.

And these issues aren't even close to related.  Sam is trying to put his identity behind him by putting an end to the whispers.  Will he become an advocate for gay people?  I hope so.  But what he won't do is thank his boyfriend for the great rim job he got to inspire him for the game, the way Tebow brought Jesus into every interview.  But that said, I still didn't hold that against Tebow, and he's certainly no rarity among players who thank JC and the Boys before doing an interview.

Because, you know, people should be allow to be who they want to be, and do what they want to do.  I would no more begrudge Tebow the ability to thump his bible than I would Sam to thump his boyfriend.  To each his own. 

It's you that has an issue with Sam doing his thumping, and yet are trying to turn it into some kind of Christian persecution narrative.  That would almost be laughable if you weren't following a script as old as fascism itself.  Because, after all, fascism has always used Christianity as the bedrock of it's ideology and legitimacy.  Those ____________ (you can fill in the blanks but popular choices have included Jews, Gypsies, Communists, Gays, etc.) are destroying the fabric of our society by their un-christian behavior.  Let us cleanse ourselves of them!

Fundamentalism, whether its Islamic or Christian or Zoastrian, is based on fear, but it uses that fear to fuel further ignorance and hate.  I understand and sympathize with the fear that the fabric of society is coming unraveled, and surely there must some ways we can slow it (I'm a big believer in Family Values, for example (although I'm pretty sure you and I would have VERY different definitions of what "family" can be), but begrudging people of their ability to be who they are and to express that however they may is simply not the way.

I'm left speechless on this one. A couple of posts after demanding tolerance when it comes to your pet issue, you literally insulted someone's religion/God. I don't think I have to respond any further. You have proved the type of person you really are.

I'm left speechless on this one. A couple of posts after demanding tolerance when it comes to your pet issue, you literally insulted someone's religion/God. I don't think I have to respond any further. You have proved the type of person you really are.

Where did I insult religion? Or someone's god.  I insulted Teboy perhaps, but he makes that easy.  In less of course you DO think Teboy is the Messiah, in which case ha ha ha, sorry, in which case, bwahahahahahhahh, I mean... BLAHHHAHAAHHAAHAAAAAAHAAAA!

Oh. Boy. I haven't laughed that hard since this morning when I read about the Iraqi Terrorists Commander who blew up himself and 22 of his recruits while accidentally using a live suicide belt for today's lesson.

But again you prove my point.  You're the one telling us that gays should continue to live in the closet and yet you assume insult and cry persecution at the first whisper of one who dares to criticize what YOU believe in. 

So you can go ahead and add hypocrite to the long list of names I'm calling you today.

But yeah, religion in the wrong hands is some dangerous shit.  Just ask that Iraqi dude.

Where did I insult religion? Or someone's god.  I insulted Teboy perhaps, but he makes that easy.  In less of course you DO think Teboy is the Messiah, in which case ha ha ha, sorry, in which case, bwahahahahahhahh, I mean... BLAHHHAHAAHHAAHAAAAAAHAAAA!

Oh. Boy. I haven't laughed that hard since this morning when I read about the Iraqi Terrorists Commander who blew up himself and 22 of his recruits while accidentally using a live suicide belt for today's lesson.

But again you prove my point.  You're the one telling us that gays should continue to live in the closet and yet you assume insult and cry persecution at the first whisper of one who dares to criticize what YOU believe in. 

So you can go ahead and add hypocrite to the long list of names I'm calling you today.

But yeah, religion in the wrong hands is some dangerous shit.  Just ask that Iraqi dude.

Saying Jesus would have to be the QB demeans an entire faith. Intolerance is fine with you as long as its used against those for which you don't agree with. Calling Tim Tebow names is cute, but would you feel the same way if a bigot decided to use a few choice words for Mr. Sam? I never said Tim Tebow was the messiah, I said he was black-listed out of the league for being a distraction. I implore you to find any mention in any of my posts where I said gays should stay in the closet. Making things up seems to be your major. You have absolutely no idea what I believe in because I don't spew it on a football message board. I simply stated my reasons for not wanting him on the Bengals and gave a critique on how I think Sam could have handled this better. I'm glad demeaning anyone who doesn't goose-step along with whatever you believe in helps you sleep at night. You're a very intolerant and ignorant human being. You may be carrying around some type of guilt that causes you to overcompensate when it comes to articulating what you believe to be right and wrong. Good luck with that. I hope you are able to receive whatever help you may need. For future reference, when you come across someone who disagrees with you, it's probably not wise to immediately call them names. It might eventually get you in professional/personal trouble. I wish you all the best, while you carry around a perceived badge of tolerance and understanding, all while demeaning anything and everything that intersects with that.

Saying Jesus would have to be the QB demeans an entire faith.

Well I worship at the altar of comedy and humor and your inability to detect either offends me deeply. How dare you slight my religion?!

But seriously. Jesus was (defined by guys who wrote about him several hundred years later as) the son of god.  What position do you think he would play, Punter?  C'mon, man!

Calling Tim Tebow names is cute

Thank you. It was an innocent typo but after seeing it on the page, I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before. Teboy? Perfect. So perfect that I'm sure I wasn't the first.

would you feel the same way if a bigot decided to use a few choice words for Mr. Sam?

Like Sammy? Because that would be as about offensive as Teboy - unless of course you thought the person about whom I was speaking had some kind of quasi-religious quality, versus being just another athlete about whom we are free to discuss.  In fact, your consistent need to interject Tebow into the Sam discussion really starts to make me wonder how long you've been Butthurt over this whole Tebow thing.  What are you going to do with yourself when HE comes out of the closet?  :lmao:

I hope you run out and get your Teboys for Jesus Tee right quick!

I never said Tim Tebow was the messiah, I said he was black-listed out of the league for being a distraction.

And that's some denial, conspiracy-theory shit on the level of the birthers or those 9/11 truther crap.  Tebow sucked metaphorical donkey balls as a QB.  Entire red states would have clamored to have their QB their teams so they would only have to go one place to worship on Sundays.  Distraction? It would have been the motherlode to any team in one of those markets. But alas, they knew the same thing that anyone else who knew anything about the QB position in football knew.  They boy couldn't throw.  And as I mentioned, they went so far as to try to get him other opps, but he simply balked. Teboy refused to change (sound familiar).  He spent his whole life fighting his doubters, and that got him far.  But eventually reality (you could call it science here) caught up with him.  And no amount of effort or wishful thinking or prayer was going to make that go away. Want proof?  Where is he now?  Doing exactly what we could expect him to do, which is find the cameras. It won't be long before he runs for public office (and eventually the presidency (and of course, ultimately, for Messiahship).

I implore you to find any mention in any of my posts where I said gays should stay in the closet.

Your direct quote, which kicked off this discussion, was "Don't Ask Don't Tell was Perfect."  Don't ask don't tell codified, into law, the requirement that gay stay in the closet.  I hope you know what the law actually was, because if you didn't, that would mean that you are saying and quoting things that you don't really understand.  Now that's not uncommon for folks who, say, still think the world is flat or was created 4000 years ago, but it's going to get you in some pretty deep water when you try to have a debate with someone who doesn't believe in the Easter Bunny.

Making things up seems to be your major.

Incidentally, it was and continues to be. Aren't YOU lucky?

I simply stated my reasons for not wanting him on the Bengals and gave a critique on how I think Sam could have handled this better.

No. You didn't stop there.  You said a lot of dumb shit today, but I didn't waste my time on you until you wrote this:

I'm straight. i also don't remember going to Subway this weekend and prefacing with that before my order. No one cares. Stop making a spectacle of yourself and move on. Don't ask, don't tell was perfect. No one needs to know the details of everyone else's private life.

At some point, you weren't really making your point, but what you REALLY think eventually came out.  You characterize a guy who had to out himself (which is already a terrible fucking indignity he would be spared of if we were beyond this point) as making a spectacle of himself.  How, exactly, is he making a spectacle?  Is he also a spectacle for the gay kids all over America who are bullied or deeply ashamed of who they are, maybe even considering suicide? Or is he a hero?  Is he someone who has something to gain from this?  Really??!!!  His draft stock will only be adversely affected.  You think he wants this?  You think he'd rather have to go through this whole circus than just be another SEC Defensive Player of the Year who has the undersized label and gets to go the NFL to bust his ass and maybe provide for himself and his family for the rest of his life.

And then the Don't ask line that really set me off, and on that I've already given you a sound drubbing so let's move on, shall we?

No one needs to know the details of anyone's private life?  Then why do you think scouts were asking Michael Sam's agent and coaches about whether or not he had a girlfriend, or any of the other leading questions that were being pushed their way in the build up of this.  Doesn't sound like Michael Sam has the same (impression of) privacy that you and I have because we're straight.  Forget the violation of law, Michael Sam did the only thing he could do in this situation, and that was take control of his private life before he completely lost control - and turned into another Manti Teo.  And now he has to contend with people like you who accuse him of grandstanding or attention-grabbing or baiting or whatever else you want to call this to make it sufficiently offensive to you.

You're a very intolerant and ignorant human being.

I only have intolerance for intolerance.  Speak truth to power and all that.

You may be carrying around some type of guilt that causes you to overcompensate when it comes to articulating what you believe to be right and wrong. Good luck with that. I hope you are able to receive whatever help you may need. For future reference, when you come across someone who disagrees with you, it's probably not wise to immediately call them names. It might eventually get you in professional/personal trouble. I wish you all the best, while you carry around a perceived badge of tolerance and understanding, all while demeaning anything and everything that intersects with that.

Thanks, but you might want to leave the complicated stuff to the pros. You don't wear it so well. 

BTW, nice to see you back talking to me so soon after swearing me off, Sweet-Tits (blows kiss).

Archived