OSX Time Machine questions

mongo

So I'm trying to sort out how to move from my old Mac Pro to the new one... Which has opened a huge can of worms in my head. I'm doing a massive Time Machine backup to a FireWire external drive. I thought that would be a bit slow in the read/write department, but comprehensive. Here's where the insanity starts:

1) The old Mac Pro hard 3 hard drives in it. The new Mac Pro has the internal SSD, and relies on Thunderbolt externals to handle the big storage. How is a Time Machine backup going to decide what should go where? Is it going to put drive 1 on the SSD, and throw everything else on the Thunderbolt? Is it just going to fill the SSD, then put the rest elsewhere?

2) to further complicate matters: I was late to the SSD scene, and took a shortcut when I finally got one. I installed the SSD in bay 2, and simply moved the home directory to the SSD....

As I type this out, I feel pretty fucked with the Time Machine angle... So what's a guy to do? Can I at least connect the two Macs through the Ethernet ports and drag the big stuff over (itunes libraries, font libraries, aperture libraries, etc...)?

I'm feeling rather entangled right now. Anyone have a way out?

i think youll have to backup to TM, then youll already have fresh mavericks install on new machine, restore time machine to external drive on new machine, then move files for OS and programs to the SSD..

OR, use the mac to mac copy feature in the new mac, and move programs fiels to ssd and then run again and move other files to external drives..

OR.. get a program that unzips the TM backup and drag and drop files where you want them...

i have done the last one myself.. it SUCKED but it worked as needed.

My thought right now is to sort of do it all myself. Setup the nMP fresh, reinstall all apps one at a time, and while that's going on, just start copying my iTunes folder (and such) to a big external drive... It will be a bit of a pain, but then I put everything in order from the get go.

...this would have been less complicated if I'd kept everything more organized on the oMP. :)

yea, no really easy way to do it, which sucks, good luck.

going from a 1tb drive to a 512 ssd sucked, i did what you said though.. i moved my 550GB itunes folder to an external ,THEN did a TM backup and restore.. 

now i have my synology and am slowly copying everything to that..

love that thing...

This is going to take awhile. I'm copying my iTunes folder to the external Firewire now. At 1.32 TB, it's going to take 6 hours just to copy it one way. putting it onto the new drive will take another 6. Oof!

thats a lot of itunes

I never went Blu Ray/HDDVD, so we've been buying movies and tv series on iTunes for years. I was also big on buying used DVDs from Blockbuster's $4.99 bin and ripping them.

So far, the migration is going slow, but well. I'm finally sorting, organizing, and trashing old files I never wanted to bother with.

I never went Blu Ray/HDDVD, so we've been buying movies and tv series on iTunes for years. I was also big on buying used DVDs from Blockbuster's $4.99 bin and ripping them.

So far, the migration is going slow, but well. I'm finally sorting, organizing, and trashing old files I never wanted to bother with.

ah, nice, i feared buying itunes movies early on not knowing what i would be playing them on, now that seems like a good plan.. 

good luck.. im trying to setup my remote access on the synology currently.

Super interested in how your NAS goes, so please keep posting on how it goes, how you use it, etc... At one point, I tried keeping my iTunes library on a Time Capsule. The connection and spin up times took too long, and iTunes would usually think I was pointing it to a nonexistent library. Hearing how the real deal works, and the possibilities it allows is great research for me. :)

i am a little shocked at both how easy this thing installed and set, and how much it can do. at my peak of use i wont be using even 5% of what its capable of.

i have the remote access setup. i have the apps on my iphone, and it streams video flawlessly even via the DS File app, there is an app for audio, loaded upquick, loaded album art, everything i had, and streams audio great..

i turned off my phones wifi so i would be connecting on the 3 bars of 3G data i have currently, and is still works very well, the video was crystal clear but needed to buffer a lot, on the wifi it was flawless...

i am working on the Download manager now, it can download files on its own and place them where you wish...

i am also going to start tackling the DS Photo app, so my wife can use it for stashing photos and things while on the go..

Archived