Sailor, civilian killed in shooting at Virginia naval station...

Numbers

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/25/justice/virginia-navy-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Sailor, civilian killed in shooting at Virginia naval station

US_Navy_070202-N-8110K-004_Guided_missil

(CNN) -- A civilian breached security and boarded a U.S. Navy destroyer at Virginia's Naval Station Norfolk Monday night, where he fatally shot a sailor on the ship before security personnel shot and killed him, a U.S. defense official said Tuesday.

The Navy earlier confirmed that two men, a civilian and a sailor, were killed in a shooting Monday night on the destroyer USS Mahan.

The incident took place at Pier 1 around 11:20 p.m., according the naval station's Facebook page. No other injuries were reported, and the names of the people involved were not released.

Naval Station Norfolk was briefly locked down.

The civilian had some type of proper identification to get onto the base, but he breached security to get onto the destroyer, the defense official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. It's not known how he got access to the pier where the ship was docked. The pier has additional security to prevent unauthorized personnel from boarding ships, the official said.

Once on board, the civilian grabbed the service pistol of a petty officer who was standing guard, the official said. Two other security sailors arrived, and the civilian fatally shot one of them, according to the official.

Navy spokesman Jim Moir said the civilian suspect was shot and killed by Navy Security Forces.

It will be interesting to see if this is similar to what happened on Fort Knox.  A civilian who was screwing a military member's wife was shot and killed by the military member on base at the civilian's workspace.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/04/fort-knox-shooting-has-army-post-on-lockdown/

In the article link above it does not come out and say what happened but my former neighbor (lived on Fort Knox close by suspect) told me the details which were released because of the danger this individual posed to the base.  That incident happened around the same time as another shooting of a similar situation except it happened in the housing area.  Both cases were carried out by military members who had recently came back from deployment.

We live in a dangerous world folks.

Do they have security at the entrance to the piers now? Is that what they mean by "additional"? Back in the 70s access to the piers was open and the first security check came on the quarterdeck of whatever ship(s) happened to be tied up at the pier. This was true even down at the piers where the birdfarms were. (Pier 12? 13? something like that.)

Do they have security at the entrance to the piers now? Is that what they mean by "additional"? Back in the 70s access to the piers was open and the first security check came on the quarterdeck of whatever ship(s) happened to be tied up at the pier. This was true even down at the piers where the birdfarms were. (Pier 12? 13? something like that.)

Depends upon where they are at in regards to security on the piers.  From the last time I saw a Naval base they had at the entrance to the piers ( coming to the ship ) a security shack ( which is probably what they mean as additional ) with two or more security personnel ( military and or civilian ).  On the ship there was an additional 3 people on the QD and a team assigned for protection inside the skin of the ship, and other measures.  All of which carries a firearm with the " team " assigned on each ship carrying a variety of weapons.  Birdfarms, some subs, etc... that have a different weapon payload carry a specialized contingent of security.

My birdfarm ( WAS located in Happy JAX ) which was my first ship had ZERO protection on the pier and ZERO on the QD (enlisted) while docked stateside.  The Officer QD had ONE officer that carried a weapon that may or may not have been loaded.  Overseas things were much different.  Some time after the late 80's that changed.  My second ship carried them on roving patrols, QD, and every now and then on the pier.  All the ships in between that I served on ( temp duty / special duty / foreign duty ) had a variety of protective measures in place.  Post 9-11 things changed drastically.  Post Navy Yard shootings things changed further.  What the failure here was probably somebody had access ( ie...shipyard type worker / yardbird or angry spouse or X ) and used that access to commit a crime.

Security was not necessarily bad, it was just the old adage that IF somebody wants it bad enough there is always a way.  There are a few things that baffle me but unable to discuss them in an open forum.  Needless to say, somebody is going to get a reprimand in their record at the very least.

The two ships I served on were amphibs. One home-ported at NOB Norfolk and the other at Little Creek. On both, the QD watch consisted of the (then?) standard 3 folks: Officer, Petty Officer, and Messenger. The Officer was E-6 and up, PO E-4/5 and Messenger E-2/3. The Petty Officer carried a .45 with two clips; gun was kept unloaded. Overseas, pretty much the same although with Med moors there was an additional watch on the fantail, if the brow was not used off the fantail. Naples for sure and maybe a few other places--hard to remember.

Every now and then there would be security drills where someone not affiliated with the ship would try to board. Once, in Palma if I remember correctly, we "bombed" another ship in our squadron during a drill. It was Xmas time and a bunch of deck apes dressed up as Santa and elves got past their QD. I have pics somewhere. Naturally, our biggest, fattest, BM1 was Santa.

The two ships I served on were amphibs. One home-ported at NOB Norfolk and the other at Little Creek. On both, the QD watch consisted of the (then?) standard 3 folks: Officer, Petty Officer, and Messenger. The Officer was E-6 and up, PO E-4/5 and Messenger E-2/3. The Petty Officer carried a .45 with two clips; gun was kept unloaded. Overseas, pretty much the same although with Med moors there was an additional watch on the fantail, if the brow was not used off the fantail. Naples for sure and maybe a few other places--hard to remember.

Every now and then there would be security drills where someone not affiliated with the ship would try to board. Once, in Palma if I remember correctly, we "bombed" another ship in our squadron during a drill. It was Xmas time and a bunch of deck apes dressed up as Santa and elves got past their QD. I have pics somewhere. Naturally, our biggest, fattest, BM1 was Santa.

Bet that BM1 was the Royal Baby also.  Damn, the first one I went through as a wog was pre-anti hazing days.  Kissing the baby's belly was all kinds of nasty.  Not to mention the week or so old trash from the galley that was collected to make the wogs crawl through.  The second time was relatively mild except for what I did.  My department head was a pain in my ass so I marked him as a " special case " and did so with spray paint on his shirt.  Unfortunately ( for him ) the paint bled through to his skin and he was left with a big red S on his back for weeks.  Every time I ran into him afterwards he made sure to mention that big S on his back.  Oddly enough though, he never was a pain in the ass to me afterwards as I thought he would be.

In regards to security drills, the only drill against the QD that I can remember was when they put a picture of Mickey Mouse where the normal picture would have been.  Seeing a picture of a bunch of deck apes dressed up as Santa and elves would have been hilarious.  Nowadays something of that nature might end very badly for someone.

<sadface>I'm still a pollywog.</sadface>

I just grabbed a couple of my old photo albums and found the pics. Doesn't look like the quay at Palma to me, so I'm not sure where this happened. I imagine one of my cruise books would have the details. Anyhow, I'll scan a few of them and post them when I get a chance. Probably tomorrow.

It is wiser to be afraid of cars, fatty foods, bathtubs, electric toasters, railway crossings, the police, etc. than crazed gunmen.

No sir, I need me a collection of heavy weapons and such here in my bunker while I listen to internet podcasts about Obama being a shape-shifting alien and his plan to let the UN establish death camps.

Why? Well, to protect me from the crazies, of course!

Bet that BM1 was the Royal Baby also.  Damn, the first one I went through as a wog was pre-anti hazing days.  Kissing the baby's belly was all kinds of nasty.  Not to mention the week or so old trash from the galley that was collected to make the wogs crawl through.  The second time was relatively mild except for what I did.  My department head was a pain in my ass so I marked him as a " special case " and did so with spray paint on his shirt.  Unfortunately ( for him ) the paint bled through to his skin and he was left with a big red S on his back for weeks.  Every time I ran into him afterwards he made sure to mention that big S on his back.  Oddly enough though, he never was a pain in the ass to me afterwards as I thought he would be.

In regards to security drills, the only drill against the QD that I can remember was when they put a picture of Mickey Mouse where the normal picture would have been.  Seeing a picture of a bunch of deck apes dressed up as Santa and elves would have been hilarious.  Nowadays something of that nature might end very badly for someone.

From Golden Dragon to Golden Buckeye...

From Golden Dragon to Golden Buckeye...

No but I have been to a Golden Corral... :rsju31uh9:

Not a Golden Dragon or Golden Shellback, just a Shellback.  I crossed the equator not the International Date Line.  ...and no I don't qualify for a Golden Buckeye card but I know somebody who might...

No but I have been to a Golden Corral... :rsju31uh9:

Not a Golden Dragon or Golden Shellback, just a Shellback.  I crossed the equator not the International Date Line.  ...and no I don't qualify for a Golden Buckeye card but I know somebody who might...

Really? I somehow thought you would be.   I actually am a Golden Dragon. 

I'm not a Golden Buckeye, either.

But I don't know what a bird cage is.

Really? I somehow thought you would be.   I actually am a Golden Dragon. 

I'm not a Golden Buckeye, either.

But I don't know what a bird cage is.

Was closer to being an Emerald Status than Golden.  However, I was a quote unquote East Coast sailor and on rare occasions did they go the Pacific area.  ...and when you did it was for something other than fun unless you really got lucky and participated in one of those around the world cruises.

Do you mean birdfarm ?  Its a Carrier.  If you mean bird cage go here...  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Birdcage

or rent the movie...

birdcage-movie-poster.jpg

<sadface>I'm still a pollywog.</sadface>

I just grabbed a couple of my old photo albums and found the pics. Doesn't look like the quay at Palma to me, so I'm not sure where this happened. I imagine one of my cruise books would have the details. Anyhow, I'll scan a few of them and post them when I get a chance. Probably tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  A fork lift moving that guy must have really taxed the hydraulics...  What looks odd to most people would probably be just a normal out of whack day for a Sailor.

You mentioned not being too sure of what the details were.  Here is a site that has deck log type history of ships organized by year.  Narrow it down by year and you might be able to locate the details.  However, it is for currently active ships.  If your ship is inactive I might be able to dig that up too.  What ship was it ?

http://www.history.navy.mil/shiphist/index.htm

Note:  If your ship did anything remotely classified, do not expect any details but you will note a gap in details or skewing in details/dates.

Note:  The bottom picture is similar to what I remember of Rota Naval Station.  Not sure of the shack but when I looked back on some old pictures I could see similar light poles with similar mounting, I could see the Sea Wall in the background,

The following picture is from 1970 at Rota NS;

Rota27Aug70.jpg

Note:  I was not there in 1970.  I was there in the 80s and 90s.

I can find out if I were to dig out my old cruise books. I'm almost positive that it wasn't Rota because when we in-chopped to 6th Fleet we didn't stay long and when we out-chopped back to 2nd Fleet we had to de-snail, which was about a week's worth of 24/7 ballbusting cleaning of the holds, etc... Still want to say it was Palma but I don't recall that building/shack. I'll look around for the cruise books over the next few days and see what turns up.

(Edit to add:) Forklifts have many uses! We used to race them from time to time, at least until the deck apes shut us down. We also used to have an annual Thanksgiving Day Parade wherein each department got a forklift to gussy up like a float. My favorite year was when we dressed up the mess deck MAA in Liberty robes, made him take his teeth out, and presented the Statue of Ingie (which was his name.) We won that year. A mate and I wore long johns and phone talker helmets, blowing into empty .50 cal shells like whistles, as we carried the banner. I've got pics of that, too, but they shall remain in the archives. Lol.

Archived