Preparing for Windows 8.1 in Bootcamp

mongo

I'm going to set aside a bit of my precious SSD space on my Mac for a Windows 8.1 partition (I'll never like the idea of FPS gaming on a console). The last bootcamp partition I ever made was in the first generation of Bootcamp, it was onto a Macbook Pro, and I was installing XP. For that, I had a thumb drive ready with AVG antivirus, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Firefox. It was sort of my go to safety measure to install before installing STEAM and my games...

So what has changed since XP? What programs should I have ready to install? What should I know to do to 8.1 to make it not suck? (Took me 10 minutes to figure out how to copy jpegs to a thumb drive on my stepmother's Windows 8 laptop. It was awful)

first three sentences out of my mouth installing a netgear sprint aircard on a window 8.1 notebook

1. why is this so stupid?

2. where is everything?

3. why would someone have this?

when your operating system looks like a magazine advertisement for an operating system... you're doing it wrong...

i realize none of this is helpful..

good luck.

Installing Classic Shell will make it suck slightly less from an interface perspective. Also, it does have excellent memory management and is very stable. Though it might only appear stable since one can do so little with it...

I've been using 8.1 for a while now, the only issue i have had is with my companies juniper.  That is because we are running a hella old version that badly needs updated.

To be honest though, on my desktop i game, use cygwin and browse the web.  

I do not use classic shell any more.  Though i also dont spend much time in the metro interface either.

Installing Classic Shell will make it suck slightly less from an interface perspective. Also, it does have excellent memory management and is very stable. Though it might only appear stable since one can do so little with it...

Archived