Grand jury declines to indict man accused of stabbing teens on TARC

Numbers

This story is on the tails of recent violence on the Louisville Waterfront in which numerous people were injured as a result of youth mob violence.  Innocent bystanders just transiting through the area in their vehicles were even assaulted.  White Castle, Food Mart, etc...  were " invaded " and in some cases vandalized and theft became common place.  Rumor is that this started because of the ongoing trial of the man who stabbed a teen on a TARC bus.  Even the news was castrating the man who did this before the court had a chance to review ALL the evidence.  He was charged with murder.  However, the video showed a very different story than what the witnesses had to say.  I am concerned that the bus driver was a witness against this guy and did not report accurately what the facts were that happened under his nose.  Not sure why, maybe he was afraid to continue driving a bus when the riders are as violent as the ones he transported that day.

Note:  The violence and gathering of youths ( numbering in the hundreds believe it or not ) has been going on for some time and is not a unique occurrence on the waterfront in Louisville.  Anybody that works downtown or goes through there at night will say the exact same thing.  This is not the first incidence of violence on the waterfront either.  It just happens to be the first time the news and law enforcement made sure to place this at the forefront of the viewing audience.

The violence has also sparked a debate locally on Castle Doctrine and the wearing of hoodies when walking into a store.  Thankfully one of the main local activist ( Christopher 2 X)  stood up on news and delivered information to calm people down.  However, I do not fear the youths who do this as much as I fear those who will arm themselves and play to the Castle Doctrine.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25079992/grand-jury-declines-to-indict-man-accused-of-stabbing-teens-on-tarc

Grand jury declines to indict man accused of stabbing teens on TARC

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) --After talking with six witnesses to the fatal stabbing of one teen and wounding of another on a TARC bus on March 16, it appeared police had a strong case and Anthony Rene Allen was charged with murder.

But despite the witnesses, including the bus driver, saying Allen was the instigator of the fight and pulled a knife, the charges against him were dismissed and Allen was released on Wednesday.

The reason, Louisville Metro Police Chief Steve Conrad said, was a TARC video of the altercation, which showed that while Allen had started yelling at the teens, he twice tried to flee and get off the bus but was unable and was struck by the juveniles.

"It's clear that there is a retreat on Mr. Allen's part," before the fight and stabbings, Assistant County Attorney Erin McKenzie said in explaining Kentucky's self-defense law. "It is clear that the juveniles initiate the physical altercation. When you apply the law to that, this is what you get."

Conrad said there are "going to be people in our community that don't agree with this decision," but that a person can use force to protect themselves.

"This is the way the criminal justice system works in our country," he said. "The law does allow the use of force, including the use of deadly force, to protect your life."

Conrad said he has not heard through social media of any plans for more people meeting at the Waterfront in the wake of the grand jury's decision but he was beefing up patrols.

In a letter to citizens Wednesday, Mayor Greg Fischer said "I share your concern and outrage about the violence" that occurred Saturday, saying it was "completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

Fischer said the city is beefing up its police presence at Waterfront Park, among other locations, and better monitoring social media to identify "problematic communications that can lead to dangerous situations."

Suprisingly, a leaked memo confirmed what everyone knew a long time ago.

http://www.whas11.com/news/Police-memo-shows-teen-mob-violence-in-last-3-months-252769291.html

Police memo shows teen mob violence in last 3 months

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11)—The WHAS11 I-Team has obtained new information about what LMPD knew about teen mobs before Saturday’s incidents.

WHAS11 obtained a letter from Colonel Yvette Gentry with LMPD. The memo is written to those with the community group Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative.

In the memo Gentry said over the past few months flash mobs of violence from teens has been an issue that has left numerous citizens victimized and some with serious injuries.

These incidents are not just at Waterfront Park, but at various locations through the city.

The memo said children as young as 11-years-old are involved in groups of 30 or more children. 

Police said the information they had previously did not involve any type of attacks like what we saw Saturday at the Waterfront Park.

Additional officers are in place at the Big Four Bridge and at the Waterfront Park, in addition to 4th Street Live.

These "flash mobs" are going to be the undoing of cellphone and social media privacy for all of us...even though it's already mostly in tatters.

FYI flash mobs aren't typically violent, it's kind of a generic term for anything organized spontaneously through social media.

Instead of blaming the tech I would ask what sort of entertainment & structure do these kids have access to? Afterschool programs, all-ages venues or hangouts and so on?  Also think laws punishing parents more than the kids are a good idea.

FYI flash mobs aren't typically violent, it's kind of a generic term for anything organized spontaneously through social media.

Instead of blaming the tech I would ask what sort of entertainment & structure do these kids have access to? Afterschool programs, all-ages venues or hangouts and so on?  Also think laws punishing parents more than the kids are a good idea.

Programs, venues, hang outs, enforcement, etc... All cost money. When one is increased it appears to be st the expense of others. Punishing parents is good idea but I have not seen that happen often. What to do without taking away from another program is beyond me. Mobs such as the violent ones will continually affect surrounding businesses, tourism, etc... If I was an out of towner I would not go there.

Would proper ethical monitoring of social media with proper oversight help ? Knowing about a potential incident may prevent an actual incident from occuring instead of responding afterwards. Once again this would cost money and guess there will be no solution unless additional funds come from somewhere.

Programs, venues, hang outs, enforcement, etc... All cost money. When one is increased it appears to be st the expense of others. Punishing parents is good idea but I have not seen that happen often. What to do without taking away from another program is beyond me. Mobs such as the violent ones will continually affect surrounding businesses, tourism, etc... If I was an out of towner I would not go there.

Would proper ethical monitoring of social media with proper oversight help ? Knowing about a potential incident may prevent an actual incident from occuring instead of responding afterwards. Once again this would cost money and guess there will be no solution unless additional funds come from somewhere.

Yup, so why not spend it on positive, long-term solutions that benefit everyone instead of more money for ineffective surveillance by a growing police state. 

Yup, so why not spend it on positive, long-term solutions that benefit everyone instead of more money for ineffective surveillance by a growing police state. 

Positive long term solution is the best answer that is possible under the circumstances. + 50

Archived